MUSIC THEORY 101 Don't Be Afraid :)

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jonesy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Anybody have any Questions???? :hmm:

2. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

erm, yep, but a bit unrelated...

whats the new tele in the avatar...??

Once Ive gone through what youve written properly Im bound to have a few dozen more too...

3. jonesy

That is a Fender MIM Tele that I did an X-treme Relicing job on. My last couple of Tele's were pretty conservative and I decided to go "over the top" on this one. It is waiting on some of Will WB pu's. Got a Hot wound single coil going in the bridge 9.95K and a med. power going into the neck 6.75k, can't wait to hear them???:naughty:

4. Gigan

Gigan Senior Member

heres another noob question, Can C major scale be played in the key of A or D or G or whatever key or does the fact that it is C major denote that it can only be plaed in the key of C? I believe I read that the root determines the key? If that is correct please explain a lil more for me . Thanks so much, Off to Disneyland :) look forward to your response!

5. jonesy

Let me see if I got your question right...Yes the C major scale can be played over chords in other keys. That is actually the basis of the mode system. It may not sound how you want it to sound in another key.

What I was trying to show is by taking "One" pattern you can move it around and be able to use it in all 12 keys?? And Yes, the ROOT Note denotes key, not first note in pattern.

6. armann

armann Senior Member

If your playing a D minor chord and play a C major scale over that but start the scale on the D note then your playing the D dorian scale.

Another example, if the song is in C and then it goes to the G7 and you
    play the C major scale over the G7 but start on the G then your playing G mixolydian.

The modes in order:

1. Ionian
    2. Dorian.
    3. Phrygian.
    4. Lydian.
    5. Mixolydian.
    6. Aeolian.
    7. Locrian.

7. jonesy

THIS IS THE CONDENSED 2 OCTAVE PATTERN THAT I USE FOR THE MAJOR SCALE/IONIAN MODE
    NOTED IN G MAJOR, ROOT NOTE ON 6TH STRING...

------------------------------------------------------2----3---
    --------------------------------------------3---5---------------------
    ---------------------------------2--4--5--------------------------------
    ----------------------2---4---5------------
    ------------2--3---5----------------------
    ---3----5-----------------------------

YOU USE WHAT I CALL THE "ONE FINGER PER FRET RULE" TO PLAY THIS SCALE.
    BASICALLY EVERY FINGER IS ASSIGNED A FRET AND IT COVERS ONLY THAT FRET. YOU START WITH YOUR SECOND FINGER ON 3RD FRET OF THE 6TH STRING, THEN PINK OR 4TH FINGER PLAYS THE 5TH FRET. WHILE KEEPING 1ST FINGER "ANCHORED" ON THE 2ND FRET OF THE 5TH STRING.
    YOU HAVE TO DISCIPLINE YOUR SELF TO USE THE CORRECT FINGERS AND NOT PLAY THIS SCALE HOW EVER YOU FEEL LIKE PLAYING IT. CLASSICAL MUSICIANS TRAIN THIS WAY EVERY DAY.

TIMING.....TECHNIQUE.....TONE

TECHNIQUE:THESE ARE THE 3 MAJOR THINGS TO WORK ON TO BECOME A GOOD GUITARIST. PROPER TECHNIQUE IS CRITICAL. KEEPING YOUR FINGERS WHERE THEY BELONG IS A GOOD START.
    ALSO USE ALTERNATE PICKING, DOWN UP DOWN UP, INSTEAD OF JUST DOWN PICKING ENTIRE SCALE.

TIMING: PLAY VERY SLOWLY AS IF YOU WERE IN SLOW MOTION, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE FAST, BUT FAST AND SLOPPY IS NOT GOOD.
    LEARN THIS AT A SPEED WHERE YOU CAN PLAY IT PERFECTLY, IF YOU ARE MAKING MISTAKES YOU ARE GOING TO FAST. TAP YOUR FOOT AND PLAY QUARTER NOTES, ONE NOT FOR EVERY TIME YOU TAP YOUR FOOT.

TONE: PRACTICE WITH YOUR TONE FAIRLY CLEAN AND NO FX SO YOU CAN HEAR ALL YOUR MISTAKES. YOU CAN ALWAYS PLAY LATER WITH DISTORTION ON. BUT PRACTICE SOMEWHAT CLEAN, YOU WILL ACTUALLY HERE THE "TONE" COMING FROM YOUR FINGERS THIS WAY.

EXERCISE, FOR THE SERIOUS "GUITARIST"....

------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------2---4---5--4----2------
    ------------2--3---5------------------------5--3--2--
    ---3----5---------------------------------------------5----3--

PLAY THIS SCALE SLOWLY ANS SEE IF YOU CAN PLAY IT 3 TIMES IN A ROW WITH OUT MAKING A MISTAKE, IF YOU DO YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER. ONCE YOU CAN DO THAT, GO FOR 10 TIMES IN A ROW WITHOUT A MISTAKE??? :fingersx:

WHEN I WAS SPENDING A LOT OF TIME PRACTICING, I WOULD PLAY THIS SCALE AT 8TH NOTE SPEED, TWICE IN G, THEN MOVE UP 2 FRETS(whole step)TO A PLAY 2X, THEN UP TO EACH DOT ON THE FRET BOARD UNTIL I GOT ALL THE WAY TO 19TH OR 21ST FRET. AND THEN I WOULD COME BACK DOWN THE FRET BOARD UNTIL YOU END UP IN G AGAIN
    YOU SHOULD SPEND AT LEAST 15-25 MINS AT THIS IF YOU ARE SERIOUS...

PRESS YOUR FINGERS DOWN HARD TO THE FRETBOARD AND PICK LOUDLY, YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO HEAR EVERY NOTE CLEARLY. WHEN YOU PLAY FAST AND PRESS DOWN HARD ALL NOTES SHOULD RING OUT CLEARER...

TAKE THIS ONE "PATTERN" MOVE IT IN ALL 12 KEYS, LEARN THE 7 MODES AND YOU HAVE 84 SCALES RIGHT HERE. NO NEED TO EVER LEARN ANOTHER PATTERN IF YOU DID NOT WANT TO. I LIKE TO KEEP THINGS SIMPLE AND BE ABLE TO USE WHAT I KNOW, VERSUS KNOWING ALL KINDS OF SCALES & THINGS, BUT HAVING NO IDEA HOW TO USE THEM ON GUITAR TO MAKE MUSIC.

PRACTICE IS NOT PLAYING, BUT YOU WILL PLAY HOW YOU PRACTICE...

:band:
    THANKS, JONESY

Tazz3, WickedBanshee and 57VOS like this.
  8. Gigan

Gigan Senior Member

Sweet men, making more sense thanks

9. jonesy

Modal Theory made easy...:applause:
    Nice Post Bro, I kinda favor that Dorian Mode myself...:naughty:
    Thanks, jonesy

10. armann

armann Senior Member

Again great thread Jonesy. ;)

It's fun to start thinking about this again, like everything, if you don't use it you will lose it.

11. jonesy

OVER LAPPING SCALES AND ADDING "SPICE" TO THE PENTATONICS...

[​IMG]

I gotta say it has been driving me crazy trying to teach guitar over a computer. Having a guitar fretboard to look at is the best way for me to relate. If I tab out a scale I have to do it 12 times to give you all the keys. If I Teach you a pattern you can move it around to whatever KEY you need to be in.

Solo from ROOT to OCTAVE using the notes in between as "Color" as you explore these scales certain notes will sound GOOD :naughty: to you. Make a note of them and remember what they are. Other notes will sound BAD,:wow: try not to play them and move past them if you need to?

I have written out the 3 scales above old school, so you can see how they all overlap. I use these all the time along with other positions of the Blues scale, and Linear scales, more on that later. ROOT Note and OCTAVES inRED....

Is anybody else out there that is using these patterns, how about a little discussions and input from the rest of you guys out there??:hmm:

Armann you using any of these for solo or improv???:cool:

Thanks & Peace, jonesy

12. jonesy

BREAKING OUT OF THE BOX WITH LINEAR OR "STRING" SCALES...
    I use these Linear or what I call " String" Scales to move up and down the fret board from one scale to another. When playing in the Pentatonic Boxes" you will often start to sound repetitive, this is a nice way to "Break Free" and slide around. This is also the best way to see the whole steps and half steps within any given scale, you don't get that from a tab. :naughty:

This is a great way to add a little "Spice" into those 5 not scales...
    ROOT Notes in RED, and Scales are shown ROOT to OCTAVE...
    [​IMG]
    You can Strat these Scales where ever you like, these are just a few examples...If you are in an open tuning these work nice for Melodies played over the Drone Chord.
    Peace, jonesy

13. armann

armann Senior Member

That's cool Jonesy, nice to see a picture like that.

Well I'm mostly playing hard rock so I don't use the modes as much as I would like to
    but when I play gigs where they will fit I mostly stick to Dorian and Mixo and if I'm feeling
    good maybe some phrygian action :D

But for "my" music I play mostly minor/major pentatonic, natural minor, harmonic minor.
    When I "grow up" I'll Jazz it up a little ;)

Let's just say I know more theory then I use on the guitar hehe.
    For me when the whole fretboard came together and when I understood what I was doing
    made playing so much more fun on not getting stuck in the "box" but being able to play
    let's say Cmaj7 scale anywhere on the neck was and is very liberating.

14. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

Im still on the quiz on page one, but also reading trough this stuff as its posted. Ive printed this stuff off and am trying to work through it all and take it in. Couple of questions:

- whats a drone chord? Not heard that phrase before.

- and this is whats always put me off theory what makes a mode a mode ( and why the damn silly names?)?! Is it the sound it creates, the position on the fret board or just the shape of it??

15. jonesy

DRONE:
    Nice to hear people are studying this thread. A DRONE note, or chord would be if you were in an open tuning(Regular tuning also), and say with your thumb you just kept the G note or ROOT going on the 5th String(Open G Tuning) and then play a MELODY line on one of the smaller strings, using one of the LINEAR or STRING Scales.
    Or you can strum the entire Chord, keeping the ROOT note going while picking a melody line out on just one string...
    Droning is Ancient technique goes back to many primitive instruments, also used in Delta Blues. A Drone note can also be any one of the smaller strings played open, and is this is used in Spanish and Classical Music as well(Leyenda Am).

MODES:
    Arman just did a couple of nice posts on how to use MODES, also he put up Links to Wikipedia....check it out.
    Basically the Modes came from the Greek tribes, this is where the basis of our music theory started. The Major scale is the Ionian Mode, it is one of 7 MODES. Within it are 6 variations that form the other 6 MODES. Don't worry if you don't understand MODES now. Concentrate on the Chromatic scale, Intervals, Root, Octave 1 4 5 etc. and Modes will make sense on down the road....:jam:
    ROCK ON!!!

16. jonesy

WHOLE STEPS AND HAVE STEPS ARE WHY IT SOUNDS LIKE IT DOES....

Chromatic Scale
    A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A

MODAL THEORY, DON"T BE AFRAID, IT'S ONLY WHOLE STEPS AND HALF STEPS...:naughty:

Ionian pattern
    ............C......D...... E.F......G.....A......B.C......D......E.F.....G....A

If we start on C as the ROOT and go to C the Otcave
    C to C is the Ionian Scale/Mode, look at the whole step half steps

If we start on D as the ROOT and go to D the Octave
    D to D is the Dorian Mode look at the whole step half steps

If we start on E as the ROOT and go to E the Octave
    E to E is the Phrygian Mode look at the whole steps and half steps

Each MODE gives you another whole step, half step variation of the Major or Ionian Scale resulting in a Different SOUND or TONALITY...

Hope this helps clear up a few things about the MODES, it is really that simple...:shock:

17. pneumaniatic

pneumaniatic Member

Thanks for putting this together:D:applause:
    I just discovered this thread, and I must say, this is the most helpful guide to theory that I have come across on the internet. I just started getting into the theory side of guitar playing after mostly learning songs from tabs and this thread is more helpful than all the dozens of articles I've found from searching the internet combined. now, to sit down and digest everything...:thumb:

18. jonesy

Thanks man I really appreciate that, I know a lot of people tell me their is just to much stuff out their and it can be a bit confusing. I have tried to start out with the most basic theory, chromatic scale etc. and then build off of that. If you get the basics down really well, all he harder stuff will fall into place later as you start to use it...

19. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

Just wanted to say thanks for your time to do this. I'm a new player and got a theory book a couple of weeks ago, been trying to get this all figured out. You know the saying can't teach an old dog new tricks. I really haven't been spending enough time on it though, not like I should. Anyway thanks, this is exactly what I've been wanting to learn.