MUSIC THEORY 101 Don't Be Afraid :)

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jonesy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

I always try to have time to help those that help themselves...glad you are getting a good understanding of the basics. With good basics you will be able to solve the most difficult problems later on. Go over and over it, I used to write it all out by hand and then copy it over until I memorized it. Being self taught I often wished I had someone to point me in the right direction as well. Take care Bro...Peace

2. NawlinzVoodoo

NawlinzVoodoo Member

Jonesy, wanted to say thank you for taking the time to do this. This is wonderful, I have just started getting back into playing the guitar and really want to learn why things work the way they do in songs and music in general. My playing is based mainly on improvising and freelance. I hate it when my friends come over and just start asking to play this song by AC/DC or Led Zepplin. That is not why I am playing the guitar. So, thanks again and look forward to each lesson.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Senior Member

Thia trhead is so great im pasting it all into word and printing it out at work. Thank you very much Jonesy.

4. jonesy

You are welcome, glad I had the time here where I could do this thread. Sounds like you may be able to use your Music Theory to better "express" your self. Tell your friends you are a "Guitarist" not a juke box, and until they start tossing quarters at you, you will play what you want to..:naughty:
    Peace, jonesy

Eball92 likes this.
  5. jonesy

Wow...:shock: I was thinking of maybe some day of putting out an easy to understand theory book, I guess you are getting the first copy..lol Glad this is helping you guys out, I did not think most people had such an interest in Music theory?
    When I have time I will try and do more posts on this thread :)

Peace, jonesy

6. jonesy

ARE YOU STILL AFRAID OF MUSIC THEORY :hmm: I HOPE NOT???

Everything that I have posted on this thread so far has been off the top of my head, and without using any resource materials. You have to be able to do theory on the go to make it work in the real world. All the information I have given you so far IMO can be used by the average Musician to better understand what they are playing. And this type of theory will help you express yourself if you are writing or improv-ing

RESOURCE MATERIALS:
    I guess my first good source of theory was from the "Mel Bay Deluxe Chord Encyclopedia" as I mentioned before it not only has a dozen ways to play a G chord, it had all the notes on the staff and they were labeled 1, 3rd 5th etc. Even if you can't read Music it is simple to understand. So for years this was my only printed material I used for theory and it was all there in chord form.

Another book that I found about 5 years ago is by Don Latarski and it is called "Practical theory for Guitar"...a players guide to essential music theory in words, music, tablature and sound (CD) ISBN 0-89898-692-3 Warner Bros. Music Corp.
    This is now my "bible" on theory, it is the only book you will ever need if you plan on being a "Guitarist". It starts out simple just as I have, but takes you into the most complex array of chords, scales, modes, it covers it all.
    I like books, something printed you can look at or have out while practicing your guitar. There is all kinds of stuff free online, but if you want a great book to study this is beginner to college level course. It also has every scale you would ever need to use, and some you never heard of...lol
    It comes with a CD that has Jam tracks that go with scales in the book, pretty cool...I wish I had something like this 15-20 years ago, but I am glad I have it now. You may find a cheap used copy on Amazon, it is still in print?

Thanks, to everyone who is reading this thread :applause:
    Peace, jonesy

7. Gigan

Gigan Senior Member

For the record Jonsey I've copy pasted all your post to a word doc that continues to grow! Hope you don't mind. Its just for my personal use.

8. jonesy

Personal use is fine, Please do not Re-post my stuff on any other forums or use any of my Posts for profit or gain OK? :naughty:

9. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

ive never really paid attention to theory, always been a bit scared of what i'd find, but this is great...

Pat on the back old chap... Or a beer if youre ever in the UK..:applause:

10. jonesy

It's all good Bro, and if I ever get to the UK we will have to play some Blues and go to the local Pub :naughty:

11. jonesy

OPTIONAL HOMEWORK...:naughty:
    Now that you have the basics, see if you can construct the following chords, from very simple to complex...:wow:
    Example:
    major triad= 1 3 5

major 6th
    major 7th
    major 6/9
    major 7b5(aka Maj7#11)
    major 7th#5
    major +9
    major 9

minor triad
    minor 6th
    minor 6/9
    minor 7th
    minor #7
    minor 7b5(aka half diminished)
    minor +9
    minor 9th
    minor 11

dominant 7th
    dominant 7b5(aka Dominant 7#11)
    dominant 7b9
    dominant 7#9 (Hendrix Purple Haze E7#9)
    dominant 7b5b9
    dominant 7#5#9
    dominant 7#5b9
    dominant 7b5#9
    dominant 9th
    dominant 9b5(aka dominant 9#11)
    dominant 9#5(aka augmented 9th)
    dominant 13th
    dominant 13b5(aka dominant 13#11)
    dominant 13b9
    dominant 13#9

suspended 7th
    suspended 9th

augmented triad
    augmented 7th
    diminished triad

DO NOT FEAR KNOWLEDGE, EMBRACE IT AND IT WILL GROW INTO WISDOM...:cool:
    Peace, jonesy

12. jonesy

SOLOING 101, SCALES OVER CHORDS...

Let's look at major and minor chords/triads again...
    In this case a "triad" is not a Chinese gang, but the 3 main notes...
    major triad is 1 3 5
    minor triad is 1 b3 5

Remember same music theory rules apply for scales as chords...so a minor scale will follow the minor chord structure right?

Ok if we take a look at the key of E, which is used a lot in Blues, Rock & Country here is what we find. Strum an E (major) and then play the major arpeggio on the 1st sting and listen to how it sounds "over" the E chord.

E
    1------0---------0--2--4--5--4--2--0--
    2------0-------------------------------
    3------1--------------------------------
    4------2------------------------------------
    5------2--------------------------------------
    6------0--------------------------------------------

Now let's do the same thing with a Em(minor)

1------0--------0----2----3---5---3----2----0---
    2------0-----------------------------------------
    3------0-----------------------------------------
    4------2------------------------------------------
    5------2------------------------------------------
    6------0---------------------------------------------

The minor scale is a very melodic and used by Santana a lot....

It takes 3 notes to make a major chord, but only 2 notes to make a "power chord" which is just the 1 & 5, SEE CHORDS BELOW....

****E5***G5***A5***C5****D5****E5
    1----------------------------------------------------------------
    2----------------------------------------------------------------
    3----------------------------------------------------------------
    4-----------------------5-------7------9-----------------------
    5----2-----5-----7------3-------5------7----------------------
    6----0-----3-----5----------------------------------------

The reason "power chords" or chords like E5 work so well is that there is no 3rd to get in the way, so you can play a major or minor scale over it and either one will work. That is also why the Pentatonics and Blues scales are used, they are missing notes that can "get in the way" so they are omitted. This is the basis for all soloing and improv work. Either it is major or minor and you go from there. Of course there are 5 other modes besides the Ionian or the Aeolian.

Here is an example of the Phrygian Mode over an E5....

1--------0---1------3------5-----3----1------0------
    2----------------------------------------------------------------
    3----------------------------------------------------------------
    4------------------------------------------------------------
    5----2------------------------------------------------------
    6----0---------------------------------------------

This is a great scale for Spanish or Metal licks :hmm:

Let me leave you with this thought...???????? :naughty:
    If you know the Major Scale Pattern on your guitar, you actually have all 12 scales you just need to move them around. Inside every major scale are the 7 modes, so if you think about it by knowing 1 Major scale pattern, you actually have 84 different scales at your disposal :wow: all you have to know is what root note to start on....See I told you not to be afraid :fingersx:

Peace, jonesy

13. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Jonsey, its great to see someone like you going out of your way to help people like this.
    My hats off to ya brother.

Guys this is what its all about, makes the MLP a great place.

14. jonesy

Thanks Reverend, it's all good...just making up for past sins...Ha :naughty:

15. jonesy

BLUES SCALE 101...WITH MODAL EMBELLISHMENTS
    I got this Scale out of a guitar magazine a long time ago, it was the first scale many people learn and it is posted all over the Internet as 1st Position Pentatonic scale. It has the root note on the 6th string and is a 2 octave scale. It is probably one of the most widely used scales in Blues and Rock and is as good a place to start as any for Solo's.

This is in the lowest form or "Open E" position...

-----------------------------------------------------------0----3---
    ----------------------------------------------0----3----
    -------------------------------0---2-------
    -----------------------0---2------
    -------------0-----2-----
    ----0---3----------------------

The Root Notes and Octaves are in yellow...
    AC/DC Fans Start this scale at the top on 3rd fret and run it back down, add the bend and release on 2nd Fret 3rd string and landing back on the E5...it is the Back in Black Signature Riff. And don't tell me they are not a blues based Rock Band??:naughty:

This is the same scale pattern in A at the 5th fret, no open strings all fretted...

---------------------------------------------------------5------8----
    ---------------------------------------------5-----8-----
    ------------------------------------5----7-----------
    -------------------------5-----7--------------
    --------------5-----7---------------------
    -----5----8-----------------------

Normally I do not always tab these out, but I would right them out "Old School" Dots on the fret board grid type fashion. I also Teach a lot better with a guitar in my hand. The "monkey see, monkey do method" is not possible without web-cam...So I will struggle and try and do my Best to explain this next part.

If we look at the Penatonic scale as a "rough framework" for Soloing because it is missing many notes. Here is what we can do. Without learning any other patterns or scales we can add any number of "voicings" to our 5 note pentatonic scale. By adding the #4 we create the blues scale, easy enough.

There is a reason the Root notes and Octaves are in yellow, because they are your starting and ending points for many runs and riffs. Many of the other notes will sound good, but not always. And some notes will come off as real "sour" when played at the wrong time.

I think of it like this, if each note is a color we have 5 crayons when using the Pentatonic scale. Maybe we have blue, red, yellow, green & violet. stay with me I have not totally lost it...Lol What if we take and add the 2nd in and have 1 2 b3, adding in the 2nd note may be like having a slightly different shade of Blue. This helps us express ourselves even more without getting all rapped up in a bunch of theory garbage...

Once I thought I was going to be a Jazz Guitarist(wrong :shock:) I am way to Bluesy of a Rock player to go that route, But I did study Jazz on my own for about a year. My wife said it just sounded like I was playing any notes that I felt like playing. :applause: Not a good comment from her since she plays Bass and guitar and is a good songwriter as well.
    What she meant was, sometimes in Jazz anything goes and all #'s and b's are going everywhere and your ear cannot hear the root note so their is confusion and tension...:rolleyes:
    So what I learned was this... I could add extra notes in to my pentatonic playing to give them a little more "spice" but without sounding like Miles Davis, I mean that cat is out there..in a good way, just not my thing.

So we can add the 2nd and we have a minor "Color" or Aeolian mode or melodic flavor. Or if we add the 6th we now are in the Dorian mode, kinda jazzy but still blues and rockish. One simple scale, but with a "dash" of this and that can be as basic or complex as we the "Guitarist" choose to make it.

THINK FOR YOURSELF:
    This is a big part of My Teaching Philosophy, Learning how to think for yourself......:hmm: That is not a real popular concept nowadays, but I believe
    you have to learn, borrow, steal(not my stuff...lol) all the licks and knowledge you can get a hold of from other "Guitarists" but in the end, it is YOU that has to Deliver the goods right?

I will end on this note: A Guitar only does what you tell it to do, and like one of my good Bass player friends says "Play the Guitar...don't let it play you"

Peace and have a good weekend, I have some stuff to do at home...

Thanks, jonesy

16. GNR4EVR

GNR4EVR Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

LOL- Me too. Been playing since I was 12 and still dont understand how to play lead. Ive always been a rhythm guy. Learning Pentatonics and Diatonics now.

17. Gigan

Gigan Senior Member

Still here just playing catch up. Lots of new info often.

18. jonesy

I am going to hold off on posting new stuff for a bit, so you guys can digest this latest info. If I do not get any questions from anyone then I will take it you understand everything 100% :naughty:

19. Owl

Owl V.I.P. Member

I do that all the time when I don't know what to play. Some of the stuff the "classic rock" stations play aren't what I consider "classic rock," but it's usually a good workout.

I've never used tabs. If I want to learn a song, I learn it the right way -- by listening to it.

20. jonesy

Old School Playing and Learning, Pre Tab & Internet days..Lol :applause: