Multi unit

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by jdolecek48, Nov 15, 2018.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Junior Member

I have a fender champion while it sounds good. I like different sounds of overdrive's and distortions and boosts so instead of buying a bunch of pedals I thought z multi effect unit. I won't use the amp models or anything. I just want it for drives and boosts. So which would be the best option? Like an older pod like the 2.0, zoom g3, digiadetch rp360, or the newer zoom g3n, just didn't want to buy the newer units unless they would benefit me for my needs. I also considering the zoom g1on and maybe a vox stomplab.i could even buy used .my budget is $130-150. So what do you think?

2. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I two older multis, a Zoom 505 and a Digitech RP2000 and a new acoustic modeler (can't remember which one). I haven't used any of them in quite some time, but they serve a purpose. The Zoom will run on a 9v battery and I take it on vacation and play through headphones. The Digitech is pretty capable, but it isn't the most user friendly thing. The otehr one is actually great at making the electric sound like a legit acoustic.

I think that you are on the right path. Buy an older used unit (make sure you can either test it or send it back (if it doesn't work) before buying). I'd look on CL and then look up the reviews. Go with one that gets good reviews for the type of music that you like.

Buying used on CL is great. If you don't like it, flip it and buy something else.

3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Unfortunately I feel that the weak point of most multi-effects unit is in their distortion modeling. Delay, chorus, modulation generally sound fine if not great with digital effects, but it's hard to beat a real pedal for distortion/overdrive.

That said, the one I would recommend for you is the Hotone XTOMP Mini, because although I've never tried it myself, it looks very promising (and the right price) and I do not think it could possibly be worse than Zoom or even the Line 6 M5, both of which I use (but not for dist/od).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Classicplayer likes this.
  4. Victek

Victek Senior Member

I had a Digitech RP355 for a while. I liked a lot of the sounds, but it was difficult to navigate. I used it to do some recording, but it was too complicated to use in a live setting. I wound up daisy chaining a few dedicated pedals that I could easily stomp on/off as needed.

The important thing about the all-in-one pedals is the UI. I would look for Youtube demos.

5. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

THIS is your starting point. ^^^

As a couple of guys already mentioned above the Digitechs aren't very user friendly.

Vox Stomplab suffers the same problem.

My two cents... stay away from ones that try to do everything through a little screen.

And another two cents equals four...

Your Champion plus cash will get you a Boss Katana 50. They're within your budget about $220 new.

Read the reviews and the owners manual online.

There's a reason they've been a great seller and the most talked about amp the last couple years.

You want overdrives, distortions and boosts nobody has done it better than Boss.

Victek likes this.