Multi-Effects/Modeling and your amp, why?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by NawlinzVoodoo, Jan 7, 2009.

1. NawlinzVoodoo

NawlinzVoodoo Member

Ok gang, gotta weird question, why would you buy, or why would I want to buy a Multi_effect rack/pedalboard that does amp modeling when you already have a nice amp? :hmm: I have a Mesa Express 5:25(1x12) and Fender HR Deluxe, if I had one of these type racks/pedals, would a modeling sound of a 68 SUPER LEAD PLEXI Based on a '68 Marshall 100 Watt Super Lead (plexi) sound like the original coming out my amps? I think that it will not, but maybe I am wrong. If anyone has one of these racks/pedals, e.g. Vox ToneLab LE, DigiTech RP500, Line 6 POD X3. sound off. Thanks.

2. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

If you occasionally want a different sound, such as for one or two songs in a gig, then a modeler might be a realistic alternative to an entire rig.

3. siore

siore Senior Member

I'll just turn off the amp sims, and use the other stuff. Saves me from the hassles of getting individual delays, phasers, flangers, chorus, etc. :)

4. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I've never found a multi that I really like.
    Some of them I find just way too damn complex. I want to stomp on a switch. If I want more gain, I want one knob to turn up. I don't want to read a manual. I don't want to spend 100 hours in a learning curve. I don't want to figure out and mark down certain presets. I'm just a guitar player. Let the synth players worry about that kinda stuff.
    And if I don't like my current chorus pedal, well, I'll go buy the one I do like.

5. TrinityFive

TrinityFive Senior Member

When I had a shite amp, the amp/cab models on my Tonelab LE helped me. Now all my patches have the amp/cab models off. My patches mainly consist of either a single pedal (say Boss distortion, tubescreamer) or a combination of pedal / mod / delay / reverb.

Most times I will set up a patch with a pre dialled pedal, mod. delay and reverb, then taphold the patch selector which then turns each of the stomp switches into indivual stompboxes.

[​IMG]

6. whateverlikesgadge

whateverlikesgadge Senior Member

I use one of these from time to time its just good to run it direct into the return input on the amp an just use the power amp section. Its good for experimental sounds and just stuff to inspire when I get stuck in a rut from listening to too much 70'S AC/DC

[​IMG]

7. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I've got some killer amp patches for my Line6 PODxtLIVE, although whe I use it I generally go through a PA. You can, however, plug it into the effects return on your amp, and just use the power section.

I've tried it...works great.

BB

8. DarrellRocker

DarrellRocker Senior Member

I have a Boss GT-6. I don't use the amp modeling when I'm playing through my amp. As others, I have the amp modeling turned off during use through my amp, and only use the effects (delay, chorus, wah, etc.). The GT-6 is GREAT however, for practicing through headphones. Turn on the amp modeling for any number of amps, use some effects, and bam, you have pro sound in your headphones and it doesn't bother anyone. Also, an amp modeler like the Boss GT-6 or newer is great for recording. To me it sounds better than micing an amp, because of all the variables involved since I'm not a professional recorder. What you hear through the headphones is what you get on the recording. No need to tweak the guitar with recording software.

9. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I have a Yamaha DG-Stomp that I got in 2000. It's technology is outdated now but it is still useful in certain situations.

If you're going to mic your cab and run sound exclusively through the P.A. anyway, a multi-effects/modeling system with good speaker sims can be SUPER EASY to deal with and sounds really good. I've done this with the Stomp and have been amazed at the tone coming through the house speakers.

Also, for some recording, small practices, etc. it can be very convenient.

Generally it doesn't pack the feel and punch of a real tube amp and stomp boxes, but functionally, it can be very effective. Having said that, I mostly use the old-fashioned amp & stomp box method for playing. It just seems to have more soul over all.

Your results may vary.

10. TrinityFive

I'm just about to experiment with a set up like so

Guitar > distortion pedal > amp input with the MFX in the fx loop for mod/delay/reverb. I find that the pedal in the loop can get a bit muddy, however, saying that the modeled tubescreamer does sound good......

11. klohiq

klohiq Senior Member

i have a boss gt3

funny thing is i use the jc120 amp model while playing through my tube amp...it sounds amazing. i never thought i would yearn for another solid state amp...

ive never used any of the vintage/expensive stuff so i cant say if it actually sounds authentic, but it appears to fool me (an idiot).

12. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

Nice illustration there. :applause:

I do virtually the same thing with the Valvetronix AD60VTX and VC-12 pedalboard. Also, with an EQ in the effects loop for additional capabilities, such as a boost to enhance that tubescreamer effect or to push mids, etc.

13. TrinityFive

The Tonelab (I think) has an EQ, there's definately something in there where you can globally set the tone.

14. jayj

jayj Senior Member

Nice, I've got the Tonelab desktop,which I'm considering selling. Can you actually turn off the amp and cab sims on the LE? I can't turn off the amp sim on the desktop, only the cab.

15. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

The amp sim cannot be turned off. The Tonelab has no tone of it's own, so the whole point of the thing is to simulate other amps. Set it to the amp that you want to simulate and tweak it from there.

16. randygt

randygt Senior Member

.........the answer to your initial question is no....you're not gonna make your fender sound like a 100 watt plexi...i've owned a boatload of modelers(line6 pod pro, pod xt pro,behringer v-amp pro, digitech 2101,2101LE, 2112....they are what they are. I have used my pods(both versions) in every conceivable manner(direct to p.a., into effects return, power amp/cab, full range cabs)...i have gotten some really good tones with it but none that would make anyone say"that sounds just like a **********......they work miracles in the studio, are a godsend for home recording, work great plugged into the p.a. and really shine with a flat response power amp into full range p.a. cabs...also they do the really clean stuff with huge echoes,chorus etc and the ultra distorted stuff very well but all FAIL when it comes to the power tube breakup of a real tube amp.

17. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member

I bought a Spidervalve 212 combo used about 3 months ago.. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I bought the FVB express (should have ponied up for the shortboard.. but I'm a cheap @55). I like the idea of being able to play with all the presets and gadgets that are built in.

BUT...

1) Come on.. Who REALLY needs 300,000 different settings??
    2) It's a tube/modeling amp.. BUT the good tube tone gets covered up to a point by the modeling.. I'd compare it to an El Camino.. Kind of one thing, kind of another, it works decent for either purpose, but not really good on the REAL tube "experience".
    3)I like that it has the built in chorus, flange, delay, echo and "phaser", but you can't "dial the effect" in like you can with a pedal.

But hey, I gave $400 for it, I got $100 in the FVB express and I got a "scratch and dent" LOW LOW for the attenuator. That's almost 1/2 of what a GOOD tube combo is gonna run, then you've gotta sink a mint in effects.

18. NawlinzVoodoo

NawlinzVoodoo Member

Thanks for the input guys, the reason I asked was because I am thinkin about getting the TC Electronics G-Major and some people have been mentioning the pedal boards with the modeling capabilities. I'm also looking at the Boss line of the ME-20 and the ME-50, I like what the ME-50 has to offer. So I'm probably gonna skip the racks/boards that offer modeling, I like the sound I get outta my MESA and Fender HR Deluxe. Hmmm.:hmm: