Muffs. Talk to me. Ask me anything. I play them a lot.

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by snaredrum, May 6, 2016.

1. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

my new toy, the McMuff with Cheese!

an actual 1976 big muff was killed to make this for me, and i regret nothing.

One side is the muff ( i sent the original to robby, he gutted it and installed all the components on a new PCB) and the other side is a Univox Superfuzz clone.

Operation is horribly complicated unless you're me as i have very odd requirements, but basically you can have muff on/off, supes on/off, both on in whichever order you want them to be, and then also a volume bypass for the muff for solo boosts. I lovelovelove it. NPD thread will follow.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Probably why it works then. Beefy is an understatement, though I can turn my FAC one notch to the right, and reduce some of the beef, but a lil gain goes with it, but it is clearer.

Stacking a RAT before adds back the mids RIGHT where I want them to be.:naughty:

Like I said, If there is a RAT/MUFF combo out there, I'd love to try it!

3. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i mean... i know someone who can build them...

3 people like this.
  4. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

Thoughts on these?

Stomp Under Foot Ram's Head

This is a limited run thing, but easier to get right now than say, the Fuzz Munchkin. The only thing holding me back is money...

North Effects do some good stuff though - I have one of their Green Russians somewhere that I liked. They do a Ram's Head model for £65. For the price of the above, I could get that and a Superfuzz clone, giving me something resembling J Mascis' lead tone as well!

5. Batman

Batman Senior Member

I have played through their Violet Rams Head (still own one) and Mascis Muff. This should be a good pedal.

In terms of my favourites

VRH - very good; the creamiest but also the least present sounding of the three I'll mention.

Mascis - very good as well; slightly less creamy. it has more rasp and is quite a bit more present in a mix.

McMuff (BuGGFX) - Excellent; more presence and ballz than the Mascis. It sounds good into either a clean or a dirty amp making it one of the most versatile Muff's I've played.

6. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfPX8A9de7g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfPX8A9de7g[/ame]

7. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Snare we must have clips!

8. TonyAsh

TonyAsh Senior Member

Being that we own the exact same amp, I have to ask, have you tried the Stomp Under Foot Civil War? By all means, if you're satisfied with your NYC Muff that's awesome, stick with it. I struggled with wanting to like Big Muffs (thanks Mudhoney) for years. I bought three separate NYC reissues, wanting to like it so much, but I couldn't bond with them and sold them quickly. Eventually I started learning that there were multiple Muff variants. I ended up with a tall font green Muff (right before the price skyrocketed). That was the sound. It put the others to shame. But....I hated that it had no 9v jack, the fact that it took up so much space, the slight delay when switching it on or off, and that it didn't seem too roadworthy (it would cut out intermittently if you stepped on it wrong). So a few years later I heard about SUF and their clones. A shop in my town actually carries their stuff, lucky me. Tried their green clone, it was really cool but not quite the sound of my green one. Then I tried the Civil War. Nailed it to a T, while rectifying all of my issues with my green Muff. I traded it on the spot and left with the Civil War AND money in my pocket. It hasn't left my board since. Bonus: it KILLS on bass.

2 people like this.
  9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Is that shop Motor City Guitar?
    That's where I got mine.

The SUF Rams head and Pumpkin Pi didn't sound near as good as the NYC..if the Civil War is at all nasally, I can't do it. I just wish I could try before I buy, and no store has an OR120 laying around, so it can be a crap shoot...(I am sorta interested in the SUF Sonic Warfare, but faer it may be super nasally..
    Right now having fun with the RAT driving the Muff.:naughty:

10. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

good lord no.

having said that, there is footage of the band me and IamGerald are in on youtube.

we were very drunk here. the two pedals at the bottom left of the screen (that's me in the blue baseball shirt) are my superfuzz and muff. supes is silver running into green colour (but not circuit) muff.

obviously sound is just from the camera.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmMAu5jY58[/ame]

5 people like this.
  11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Muff and flanger go so well together....my favourite pedal combo. Put me in drop D tuning and I'm all.....
    'MUFF-LANGE!!'
    [​IMG]

Why is the MUFF-Flanger combo so perfect?

5 people like this.
  12. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

13. ezra1

ezra1 Senior Member

I had a Big Muff in 1971
    I liked that American Woman lead tone.
    Now I have a MojoHand Iron Bell to do that.
    But my fuzz cravings also brought a Zephyr and a BritBender to the board.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Just learned the Axis fuzz and its history... apparently the mother of the muff. Going to build one, you tried an Axis snare? 2 transistor circuit, looks like a fun, easy unit.

1 person likes this.