Muffs. Talk to me. Ask me anything. I play them a lot.

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by snaredrum, May 6, 2016.

1. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

I use the combo as well and the speakers are BEAST heavy. No idea if that helps.

2. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

I used to have a V3 with bc239's that sounded amazing!!! It was the worst, tone sucking pedal I've ever put into my signal chain though. It lived in a bypass looper. I also had the IC muff that was my hands down favorite. It was tighter and more useful for me. I think it was a V5.
    [​IMG]

The IC with my Superfuzz was such an intense sound!

[​IMG]

I've had countless clones and modern versions. Ultimately, my green Russian has stayed the longest. I probably would have kept them all, if I hadn't got such stupid offers for them though.

3 people like this.
  3. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

NICE!

seriously, the BC239 V3 is the best muff i've ever heard.

4. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

Agreed! I have never heard anything that came close.

2 people like this.
  5. freak

freak Senior Member

so if I have a fender twin reverb, playing classic rock, my choice may be........?

1 person likes this.
  6. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Our lead player uses a TRRI and a Big Muff, it sounds big and bold.

2 people like this.
  7. 1680dw

1680dw Member

The reason I ask if any one uses a muff with a Varitone is because it gives me a real wet blanket over the speaker sound that I kinda digg I know most folks want to cut the mix with a muff and be lead guitar but I'm digging the bass frequeces in e flat tuning with no treble kinda getting through the front door through the back door sound buzzy gurgle kinda sound

1 person likes this.
  8. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

Because of this thread I went directly to eBay and bought a Big Muff Pi. Thank you all I love this work of art aka pedal. I did the late show this past weekend and really got to walk the dog.

4 people like this.
  9. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

yeah, muffs and cutting through the mix is a tricky one. They're all bass/treble, not much mids. I bypass this issue the good old fashioned way. i play LOUD.

I use the rhythm circuit on my offset guitars a lot though, which gets me that slightly muffled sound. I use it for fx pad sounds with delay and vibrato and whatever.

1 person likes this.
  10. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

:applause:

happy new pedal... week, i guess? Is it one of the modern muffs with the LED on the front?

1 person likes this.
  11. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

I have played a few different takes on the Muff like the Pharoah & the swollen pickle which were interesting & i have a big muff pi which is very bland & do not do the job ..my Fuzzface collection keeps the Muff in the drawer

1 person likes this.
  12. 1680dw

1680dw Member

I agree with playing loud. The neighbors at the end of the block will defonetley hear you. But I'm a bed room player now. Years ago I was in a band. The other guitar player played exclusively on the neck pickup and I played exclusively on the treble pickup no pedals same guitars (les Paul's)different amps (Marshall him orange/green me) and with him having a darker sound and me having a brighter sound the bands sound was to me , thick. So I started experimenting with a darker tone. And found I like it. I still like a bright tone that's where I play straight the darker tones ie neck pickup tone knob rolled down all the highs gone I tend to explore more make different sounds. Add a Varitone rolled down tone knob riled down the only highs you'll get are from the muff circuit you'll get nothing but bass frequencies with a quiet buzz on top
    But then I'm a bed room player now might not go over well in a live situation
    But to me. At low volume. I like it

1 person likes this.
  13. Linus

Linus Member

I've had a ton of them over the years and still have quite a few. I was buying pedals in the 80's and early 90's when they were just old, before anyone started calling them vintage. I generally paid $25-$40 per pedal. Occasionally I MIGHT pay $100 for something big, mint, in the box (MuTrons).

I still have 2 triangle knob (version 1s). I had (and sold) a couple Ram's head versions including one that was silk screened "Wabash Distortion". Must have been an order for a retailer. I've had a bunch of the V3s in various configurations and even a few Sovtek ones, a Civil War version, and a Green one.

The biggest thing to know is that they can sound REALLY DIFFERENT from one another. Different versions can sound different and individual one within versions can sound different. They were just making them as quick as they could with whatever parts were on hand. Sometimes the circuit boards look pretty clean, sometimes it looks like they had drug-addled toddlers doing the soldering. It varies.

I think anyone who says, "I don't like Big Muffs" just hasn't played enough of them yet.

My favorite version is the triangle knob versions. They can go from a touch of bite with the sustain all the way down to "my amp is melting" with the sustain up. Fat, rich, searing sustain. I love them.

I have a Stomp Under Foot triangle knob version clone on my pedal board for gigging and it sounds REALLY close. So close that there is no reason to get my originals beat up travelling around, or stolen.

3 people like this.
  14. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

yeah man, i've been through quite a lot of them, and they all sound different. And the SUF V6 Triangle was an incredible sound.

15. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Can confirm. I miss it sometimes...

16. Tim Mason

Tim Mason Member

Ill bite again, can anyone tell me what version SUF Tri Muff this is, i went through a bunch of SUF youtube demos and this model in particular seems to excite me alot, selling a few pedals so why not try the Tri, if there is another clone you think I may dig, all the ones mentioned are no longer in production it seems, Dice Works looked good too but not made any more.

I have had my hands on 2x that really tickled me, an original Green Russian (sold...idiot), and a build Muff Variation that I really love.

If no longer in production... Hoping I can still have one of these made up, suggestions to a Triangle extremely welcom if they do this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWktQccpcxc[/ame]

i have a Musket Fuzz that I cant seem to fully gel with, that will get me half way to a good clone i suppose :)

17. Tim Mason

Tim Mason Member

Can I be a pain and ask for pics of your amp settings when using the muff snare?

18. Tim Mason

Tim Mason Member

you know what bugger it, Ima build another clone of the Red Russian Muff circuit, practically there anyway :) I do love it, Might do a little demo later

19. Tim Mason

Tim Mason Member

Here she is, dig it! Throaty and nasty, QOTSA "little sister"... this is with the gain set low and volume up on the fuzz, sorry, I will talk into the Mic next time :/ Plus crank the Master up on the Amp!

Thanks fr the circuit Jonsey, keeper! You should build more!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/tim-mason-30/red-russian-low-gain-tight-clean-50w?fb_action_ids=10205878912484285&fb_action_types=soundcloud%3Apublish[/SC]

20. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

well, i've run it into two amps so far, and one preamp coming up shortly.

I had a Hiwatt and ran it basically all at 12 - not enough preamp gain to make the clean sound anything other than clean. Then i realised i was using my amp for just cleans so i figured "eff it" and bought my current amp, a Roland JC120. Basically again, all at 12.

now, to keep things annoying i've added a marshall jmp-1 preamp to the setup, and i'm letting Bats do all the heavy lifting on finding good muff-friendly settings for that as he and i use a lot of the same gear, including the same exact muff circuit.

3 people like this.