Muddy tone on Jackson RR3

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by voodo child, Mar 18, 2012.

1. voodo child

voodo child Senior Member

Hi everyone :wave:

I have a stock floydrose equipped Jackson RR3 with a pair of Seymour duncan JB/jazz pickups.
    Its plays great but the tone is extremely muddy with no clarity at all. Ive changed the strings on it and raised the pickups and the polepieces but nothing helps.

Can anyone help me?

EDIT: All my other guitars sounds fantastic with the same settings on my amp.

2. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

i think to cure mud, you lower your pickups, and also it could just mean you have to re eq your amp, theres a big chance that this guitar just simply sounds a lot different to your other guitars

1 person likes this.
  3. voodo child

Ok thanks ill try to lower the pups and see if it helps :thumb:

4. hellraiser_666

hope it works :)
    i have a jb in my schecter hellraiser (i think its specs shouldnt be far off from the jackson) and tbh i find it too bright and sharp going through my jcm 900 (but then again, that tends to be 900's problem when it gets turned up loud)

and another thing, maybe try turning your gain down a touch. that usually cures my mud issues

5. voodo child

I run it through a marshall vm 2266 with the gain at 4 o clock but the mud might come from the stock tremolo block but its weird that the pups are muddy cuz I was worried that they would produce some icepick treble but they were muddy insted :shock:

6. voodo child

I tried to lower my pups but unfortunately the mud didnt go away.

Its weird that the guitar is so muddy cuz it has an alder body with a maple veneer and a bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard so the guitar should be quite trebly but for some reason it isnt :confused:

7. Lungo

Lungo Senior Member

Those Vintage Modern amps are very responsive and in my experience sound quite a bit different depending on the guitar. You're probably going to have to change some settings or maybe your RR3 with the JB just doesn't gel with it?

And you say the Jackson is completely stock and nothing has ever been replaced on it?

8. voodo child

Yeah the vm is really responsive and different sounding (in a good way) but it sounds so good with all the other guitars that I own so I think that its the guitars "fault".
    Im the second owner of the guitar but as far as I can tell its completely stock and considering the shape of the guitar when I first tried it (Extremely dusty and insanely dirty fretboard) the owner probably didnt do anything to the guitar. I think that the problem might have something to do with the trem-block or the magnets in the pickups.

9. Lungo

Lungo Senior Member

Have you played that guitar through any other amps? I suppose pickups aren't all created equal but that's probably not it unless there's a different pickup in there than you thought.

Just out of curiosity, pull the control plate off the back and expose the wiring and make a note of how it's set up. Does the path from the switch go to the volume pot first like in this pic?

[​IMG]

10. River

River Senior Member

Myths, every one of them. At least now you know.

Did you change your amp EQ? My R8's muddy if I leave the amp set for my Tele.

11. voodo child

Yeah I changed the eq totally and then I set the amp to the initial settings but it still sounds like shit and my other guitars sounds like singing angels :/

Yeah I played it through a fender frontman amp and it didnt exactly sound good but I figured that it should sound better through my marshall :(

I checked the controll plate and it looked exactly like the diagram but I discovered 2 cold solder joints :)wow:) so that might be the cause of the problem. Ill also try to contact floyd upgrades to see if they have a trem-block that will remove the "mud"

12. Lungo

Lungo Senior Member

How did you find cold solder joints and did you resolder them yet?

I don't think blocking the trem will give your tone more clarity but it's worth a shot since it's cheap to do. One of these is only $20 and takes about 5 minutes with a screwdriver to install.

[​IMG]

13. csplayer089

csplayer089 Senior Member

How would blocking the trem help clarity at all? :squint:

14. voodo child

The pots are placed on the pickguard and I havent soldered anything yet cuz I dont have a soldering iron :(

I dont want to block the trem, I just want to change the tremolo block (The block where you attach the springs)

15. voodo child

I wont block the trem.
    I want to replace the tremolo block :)

16. Pinkie

Pinkie Senior Member

I would change the pots and caps first.Quality electronics will make a huge difference.
    Getting rid of the mud is what you are trying to do and quality electronics should fix that issue.
    Martin Six String or Jonsey kits should work fine.Contact them and tell them what you want.

1 person likes this.
  17. voodo child

Sounds legit :thumb::thumb:

Thanks Ill contact them and see what they can do for me :D

18. hellraiser_666

well i see you have a mxr 10 band in your list of goodies, why dont you have a few tweeks with that and cut out the mud freq there :thumb:

19. voodo child

Yeah thats a good idea but unfortunately it stopped to work so I had to hand it in for some repair work. :(

20. gengee21

gengee21 Junior Member

I have this same guitar with same pup setup. It's muddy on every amp I've played it through. Very frustrating. There is a good video on you tube of Keith Merrow demoing Seymour Duncan pups that I've been checking out. The jb/jazz in the rr3 are mud central.
    [ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8]Seymour Duncan 6-String Bridge Pickups, 12 Model Comparison, Metal Rhythm - YouTube[/ame]