MTM vs Production Historics Qualitywise

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

I am pretty sure they can do it as I just want an LPC with R0 neck. The problem is, I purchased an R0 that I didn't like sound-wise online recently (and returned it), therefore I don't want to risk that amount of money.

lpthomas likes this.

2. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

You can get pictures from Gibson of it in production.They are cool with that.Here is mine for example.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

nicolasrivera, GeeJay, Dilver and 2 others like this.

3. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

The build quality would be the same between the two.

cherrysunburst00 and freebyrd 69 like this.

4. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

Depends on the channel through you access M2M. In my case only door was through resellers/stores, so they act like an interface in between, and you never actually communicate with the company. Once they starts, its 30 to 60days (min) for the next step, which is the shipping.

5. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

Yes, you communicate thru the dealer and they have access to the Custom Shop. All it takes is a phone call or email to get real time updates and or pictures. Its up to your dealer .
    I've done it three times and it still makes me nervous.LOL

freebyrd 69 and PierM like this.

6. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

I see. That sure must be possible. What was it that turned you off soundwise? And what year/model R0?

7. Andy California

That was a 2017 "slim neck" model. Unplugged, it didn't ring as nice as my R9 from 2016. I suppose, it was not as "full"-sounding, maybe more mid-focused compared to mine. When plugged in, it didn't sound as "full" and "hot" as mine. It definitely had less gain, which is not a bad thing, but even with more gain on the amp it didn't sound as full as mine.
    I probably would have accepted that a guitar with a slimmer neck cannot sound as good as a fatter neck R9, but, coincidentally, I've played a couple other 2017 R9s that exhibited the same characteristics when compared to a different 2016 R9. So I don't even know what to think.

lpthomas likes this.

8. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

The problem with your question is that the term "dog" is, subjective by itself. What YOU define as a dog might me killer to me. Your question has been answered the best it can be.
    1) MTM is nothing special build wise other than specs that you pick out.
    2) "Dogs" are subjective, so, there is no guarantee, even with a MTM.

9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

10. Andy California

I see. So does that mean that objectively there is no bad Historic out there?

11. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

This will sound rude, I apologize in advance: Is this a joke question?

What anyone of us thinks of as a dog might be a killer guitar to the next guy. These low-output 2017s you tried and did not like – they might be what I think of as the best suitable guitars for my amp or playing style or tonal preferences.

The following was added in the edit later. PSA: The likes below do not necessarily support all of this:fingersx::

We're all not the next Eric Clapton or whoever. Find a comfortable guitar (hint: it's not a Les Paul... :naughty:) and play it. Save a bit of money, learn more about guitars, buy another one at some point. I think your chase for the perfect first Historic is just ruining your experience with this stuff in general.

Are we all that special to really discern even the finest tonal differences? Do all here have the amps/the stages/sound spaces to really appreciate these differences? At least I don't. When I got my Historic I was just happy to be part of this community and proud to own a burst reissue. I know everyone's motives differ vastly.

In the end though I really think that the narrative about the LP reissues is just a made-up problem. There will always be nicer and better ones. And as much as I love looking at bursts and am in awe of the shapes, colors and the general vibe, it's just a guitar after all.

Let me also add that this is not to say I don't have my "problems" with some things in the historic line. Some things are puzzling and the marketing is lacking. I started out with rose colored glasses and learned a lot of things over the months and understand a lot of the frustrations. Still, this, in my opinion, does not define Gibson Custom.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    NJDevil, Fiord, mudface and 2 others like this.

12. freebyrd 69

I'm going to refrain from the "here we go again's".......

What it means is, the "bad" Historic you have might be a "good" or "great" Historic to me. Subjective questions don't really have answers.

Subterfuge likes this.

13. Andy California

I understand different preferences for tone, but I take it pretty seriously when someone describes a guitar as "dead sounding".

14. freebyrd 69

I could nor would ever make a claim that there aren't those. To your OP, MTM nor anything else will prevent that possibility.

I'm going to be honest. There are people that just shouldn't buy on-line without an in-hand experience. I think you are one of those. That's not an insult, or a bad thing. It is what it is. I think you are in for a train wreck if you do this over the net.

Stuff likes this.

15. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

Now that's a new aspect in this discussion, I think. If someone says guitar X sounds dead, then that sure is something to think about. No doubt. But that's not a statement about all or even many guitars of the same type. Maybe guy just doesn't like the guitar for any reason. Maybe the setup is not optimal. Maybe the person knows nothing about guitars. It's too random!

As freebyrd said, you just have to try yourself.

freebyrd 69 likes this.

16. Andy California

I probably said too many personal off-topic things. This is not a topic about my search for a perfect guitar. I am a Les Paul guy. I started out with other guitars, but ended up in the Les Paul camp. Tried to get out, but came right back. I'm quite happy with my first Historic and feel no need to replace it or get any more of them... Except, I now know for sure I want a slim neck and it would be great if it looked more modern. That's all.

lpthomas likes this.

17. lpthomas

lpthomas Premium Member

That makes sense. I was assuming a bit too much there. And I'm sure you'll find this guitar at some point.

18. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I'v had three MTM's all of them pretty good quality, nothing stellar....you just get a made to order ....to their allowable spec....period. The only complaint was that one turned out heavier than I liked....but that wasn't a true MTM....it was a warranty replacement. Gibson did me right on that one.....but I didn't keep it, amazing top and color....

I still have one MTM and love it....

19. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Do you know what " dead sounding " is to you?... That or any tone preference is all you......Do you have a preference of another player that you like?...by example of what tone are you searching for?.....

A couple of these details might be helpful for some of us to understand what you're after. Can't help if we don't know going on in Andy's head.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.

20. BBD

BBD Senior Member

I'm confused, Andy. It looks as though you are trying to sell your first Historic.

Can you clarify what is going on here?

So now you not only want a slim neck, you also want something that looks 'more modern' - whatever that may mean. Is this why you didn't follow up the custom spec R8 with V2 neck that I pointed you at a couple of weeks ago? Not modern enough looking? I've got to admit that modern-looking Reissues are a bit of a problem by definition. Can you describe what you mean by modern-looking?