Most Surprising Change in Direction by a Band

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Spiteface, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Kostas.

Kostas. Senior Member

Not just surprising but also unexpected, at least for me. The biggest sellout in R'N'R by far considering how great they were, IMO.

1991: Black Album - Metallica

Different sound, different style, weak songs and a band commited to get into everyone's home. They had one seriously good video clip in four albums, then five cliche video clips only for that album!

From a music band they became entertainers.

Travis19 likes this.
  2. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

I can kind of agree with this. But for me and my crowd it was the "...Justice..." album (I was 19 when that album was released). That's when the frat-boy like crowd started showing up at their shows and we were out.

The excitement of the Newstead recruitment on the heels of two phenomenal albums in "Master of Puppets" and "Doomsday for the Deceiver", followed by the incredible "Garage Days revisited" EP, had us all salivating at the mouth. And then "justice" let all of the air out of the balloon in a single listen.

Most surprising change in direction by a band?:

From this:
    860bcf22-c86e-44e1-b481-71d9fdee0093.jpg

to this:
    main-met-300.jpg

Anyway, nearly thirty years later, I have to admit that I've developed one hell of a lot of respect for that band and what they meant to me as a teenager (even considering all that I listen to are "Kill 'em All", "Ride", & "Puppets"). I hope that they keep at it for many years to come. Long live Metallica!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. Kostas.

Kostas. Senior Member

I like "Justice" & "Garage Days" equally as the first three LP's. The EP was fun and Metallica always did great covers, their b-sides were interesting. They knew how to pick the right song and push it to the max. Justice had phenomenal lyrics and very good playing from all of them. Not an easy listening for sure, 9 long non-friendly radio songs dealing with all short of things. It has the well known problem with the bass but other than that I love the tone of guitars and drums.

BTW..."Doomsday" was good but the Flots released a better album without Newsted, IMO. "No Place" is amazing from the first to the last song. My favorite melodic thrash LP ever.

Travis19 likes this.
  4. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Maybe not too "surprising" given that they were essentially growing up from kids into adults over the span of their five studio albums, but Silverchair had quite a dramatic evolution. I actually dig all of their albums as a band, but I think a lot of their fans were not pleased.

First album and second albums:

Last album

Daniel Johns' more recent solo work. :eek:

5. duke_ford

duke_ford Member

Van Halen. Eddie's quest for "respect" turned the band into an MOR popfest after DLR left.

Bob Seger, who was absolutely kicking ass in the Detroit area in the late 60's - early 70's. He also went the MOR-pop route. Ugh.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. Ides of March

Ides of March Senior Member

Def Leppard after Pete Willis left. I haven't had any interest in them since Pyromania.

Travis19 likes this.
  7. meatball

meatball Senior Member

It Killed me When Tom Johnston temporarily left the Doobie Brothers and we had to endure Michael Mcdonald . Then we get three albums of pure Jazz Rock / R&B from that guy ,, Really Thankful that Tom Came back and rescued us from MM . Tom wouldnt have allowed his band to be on a stupid TV show about ticket scalping !!

northernguitarguy likes this.