Most highly regarded eras/runs for ES335

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by MasterEvan07, Aug 27, 2017.

1. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

I'm planning to buy an ES335 in the relatively near future and I was hoping some of my fellow MLPers could help me in knowing what to look for.

I'm curious what ES335s (or possibly 345/347) have proven to be top notch, resonant, acoustically responsive, dynamically alive, etc. consistently - whether custom shop, Memphis, and so on. Not just which ones are well regarded but also any history and context as to why.

Thanks for your thoughts all who share their experience!

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

None. It's not like every guitar in a particular run is magical. Play/evaluate each guitar and don't get hung up on what it is.

Nashvilles were held in higher regard but many feel 2013/newer Memphis models are on par.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    MasterEvan07, mdubya and Sct13 like this.
  3. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I agree with Tim...

And I get the sense that a Memphis is slightly better, for one the Memphis shop does nearly all the hollow and Semi- Hollow's and I think that the Memphis Custom Shop does a great job on these...If I ever get one again it will be a Memphis Custom Shop...But that's just me not knowing what they are doing for real in there....

MasterEvan07 likes this.
  4. buckwild

buckwild Premium Member

I think the Warren Haynes run was superb. It's the best 335 I own and some others agree it's a great run

Pappy58 and MasterEvan07 like this.
  5. MasterEvan07

I just wish they weren't so friggin' expensive!

Sct13 likes this.
  6. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

Rusty Anderson and Warren Haynes are both very well regarded models. The '58 sans bindings that came out a couple years ago

7. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger Member

My '63 reissue Memphis 2013 is the best modern 335 I've ever played. The new Memphis guitars are generally extremely nice.
    RS

8. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

I must agree that my Warren Haynes 335 is the finest semi I have owned or played in 40 years and I have owned several and played many.... I tend to a agree that 2013--> Memphis models have ben consistently good. Wildwood had some blonde 61 RI's that were Haynes models with blond flame tops. Those were killer.
    :thumb:

9. ESchmidt

ESchmidt Senior Member

Not exactly a newer CS reissue, but I've always enjoyed those early 80s es-335 guitars. I've played 4 or 5 and thought each one was exceptional.

10. MasterEvan07

I dig the Haynes model for its simplicity and VOS look. I'm definitely interested in going the Wildwood way because they seem to have a good rep for "handpicked" guitars of distinct quality, but that would be a more expensive direction.

Appreciate all the replies so far!

11. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I'll throw my 2cents in this also . Above are all Very good picks to look at , from the reviews I've read .
    I'd say looking at 2013+ for newer types ,in general . Testing any 1 guitar is still and will always be the best way to know if any 1 guitar does what you ask from it .
    The WH, RA should be a better bet for getting a good 1 . But , you never know without testing .

I'll Add the early (IMO Early is important) 2013 Memphis Blister top 59 335 RI's .... Some were made in Nashville CS and some in Memphis . This was the time the HJ Moved CS 335 builders to Memphis .

Finding guitars the don't come up often should tell you something ... So Good , the owner Keeps and PLAYS it . I've only seen a handful (less really) come up on the used market ... I know why ....

I've heard/read the CS/Memphis, Anni 59 335's(IIRC 2010/12?) are very good also ... Necks sized close to Vintage and Hand build (as i understand it) .... These are Part of the Historic line as per their serial #'s . If that means anything to you ... a couple/1 on Flee-Bay now . If I wasn't going to be selling off a bunch in the next few months , I'd be looking at a Vintage Natural Dot Neck (slim neck) or 60's RI 335 .

If you can't test ,in hand . make sure you have a good return policy so you don't get stuck with a DOG ...

RAG7890 and MasterEvan07 like this.
  12. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

When I bought my 63 335 I tried to justify a custom shop model but after playing 5 different ones and couldn't justify the up charge over Memphis. I did not care much for the mhs pickups but swapped them out and I love that guitar.

13. MasterEvan07

The '63, RA and WH, Memphis, and 2010-11 era all seem to be consistently well praised here and elsewhere...the problem with living in South Dakota is access to places to play things!

14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

It's a problem for many of us also . Return policy becomes a pivotal factor ...... better to pay return shipping then to try and sell a guitar and get some of your $$ back.

What I think you should do , is to figure out what specs for a guitar you're looking for(IMO neck size and shape is #1) and ask for opines of those who have such types . A '63 RI or similar type will have a much different neck size and shape then a '59 styled RI . Either Memphis or CS makes both so It's on you to ask a seller what 1 guitar has as it's neck specs .... if it's a great guitar , is somewhat subjective and you'd find out by playing it , with your rig ...

15. MasterEvan07

I got wrecked about the ES335 after doing a one-off tech gig at a state fair for the Wallflowers - I took care of Jakob Dylan's old ES335 and an SG. Both were super cool, but I got to sound check with the band on the ES335 into a completely run of the mill DRRI. It just sang and broke up perfectly, alive under the fingers, feedback in all the right ways...ever since then I've been dying to have one of my own. Missed an opportunity for an ES347, which was also very cool, but my heart is still set on a semi-hollowbody.

It's definitely hard to find the right one and the one that's been played, used, and loved is the right kind for me! I love player' grade, plain top LPs and ES guitars...simple, well loved, nothing to get precious about - a beloved workhorse :)

christophervolume likes this.
  16. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

My Cornell and Grohl 335's are my favorites of all I have played, which is why I still own them.

It really just depends on your tastes and what you are looking for. There are many great ones out there in all categories. Memphis 335's are awesome IMO.

17. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

love my WH 335 with sheptone tributes! and the 345 sister.

18. MasterEvan07

Well...might as well share some pictures too!

19. christophervolume

christophervolume Senior Member

my 2011 memphis custom is a forever keeper for me. antique red. block inlays.

[​IMG]

bluefrog, mdubya, Brewdude and 2 others like this.
  20. MasterEvan07

That deep red is just killer, especially when the binding ages and yellows. Great looking git!

christophervolume likes this.