More MKH mod problems encountered

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Destroythevoice, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Hey guys.. So I got the orange drop capacitors for my MKH 6 string model Epi.. To be completely clear and accurate...

All pots are 500K
    Pickups currently installed are an sh1 59 in the neck
    Sh6 in the bridge by seymour duncan.

We grounded the bridge, put orange drop capacitors and got everything running but the guitar DOES NOT sound very clear. My tech says he believes that the capacitors may not be a strong enough output for these pickups.

To also clarify some more.. I play in Drop C tuning with 56-11 d'addario NYXL strings if that makes any difference.

If anyone has encountered a problem like this.. what was your solution? In the event that i do need stronger orange drop capacitors, which ones should I get? Please help with a link if you can! Thank you guys so much.. This has been a hell of a project swapping active to passive thats been going on forever now and i just want it to be over.

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

:lol: That's a good one!

I'd advise your 'tech' to read a school textbook so he can grasp an understanding of how capacitors and guitar pickups actually work. If this 'tech' is responsible for wiring the guitar the way it currently is, then no wonder it doesn't work. :rofl:

My advice is to check that nothing is shorting to ground where it isn't supposed to, and that you do not have any cold solder joints. Check that all the hot and ground connections have continuity with themselves, then check that there's an open circuit between the hot and ground at every connection. If there's any continuity between the hot and ground, then there's your problem.

Also check that everything is wired in the correct place in accordance with this diagram.

[​IMG]

There isn't much else to suggest without you giving more specific information. Can you describe what you mean by the guitar not sounding 'very clear'? Does the guitar seem to cut out intermittently? Do all the guitar's controls function how they're supposed to? Does the selector switch function how it is supposed to? Does the guitar sound like the tone controls are rolled all the way down when it shouldn't do? Have you tried using a different cable from the guitar to the amp?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    howardlo and paruwi like this.
  3. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

My tone knob for the bridge isnt working at all currently and is technically rolled up.. but rolls on and off by itself wothout me rolling it period.. But the guitar sounds very boomy almost.. very low end and barely resonating as well as i know it can when you strum a chord even in distortion settings.

4. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Other than that theres no cut off in sound, just a very gritty tone that wasnt like this before.

5. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Find a new tech

T00DEEPBLUE and paruwi like this.
  6. T00DEEPBLUE

What's possibly happening is the leg of the capacitor that is heading towards the tone pot is shorting itself to ground. Usually by either a pickup ground wire or a piece of control cavity shielding touching it. This has the effect of sending all of your guitar signal through the capacitor instead of only the amount of signal that is controlled by the tone pot.

It also would make sense that the tone control doesn't work anymore when this happens because the guitar signal is passing through the capacitor before the pot gets a chance to control how much goes through the capacitor by itself.

Skip to 1:14.

1:47 probably describes what's happening in your guitar.

Open up the control cavity cover and check that nothing that leads to ground is touching the legs coming from the tone capacitor and play the guitar again. When you do, you may find that the guitar is functioning normally again and the bridge tone control is now doing what it is supposed to.

Destroythevoice likes this.
  7. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Thanks! Ill forward this over to him and hope this works. It definitely sounds like this may be the case!

8. T00DEEPBLUE

Bin off the 'tech', He's clueless. I'd fix the problem myself. I prefer it for having the peace of mind knowing I've done the job properly than relying on someone else who clearly doesn't know which end to hold a soldering iron.

9. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

LOL.. I feel ya. Hes a buddy of mine. We work in the same shop so its been a huge trial and error thing.. hes been doing me the favor but admittingly so its been disappointing how long its been as well. Going to give this a go today. You've been super helpful. Hoping this solves the problem! Will follow up asap.

10. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

I'd be interested to know how he/you did this this..Any pictures?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  11. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

Agreed. Sounds like now is a great time to learn how to do it. When I joined this site I had limited skills. Now, I would not let anyone solder anything on my gear!

12. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Absolutely . I will follow up with some photos very soon today. But its to my knowledge that because the MKH model does not come with a bridge ground.. So he had to manually drill a hole i believe to the bridge piece and use ground wire to ease the hum if im not mistaken. Ill post some photos shortly.

13. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

I barely even know where to begin when it comes to soldering and swapping pickups let alone grounding and going from actives to passives.. I hope i do learn though cause I have to do this for my Les paul 7 string too...

14. Dun Ringill

The only way to learn is to watch, read, and get hands on with it. Here are some good places to start:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/threads/video-about-how-to-solder.25764/
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/threads/wiring-library.558/
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/threads/guitar-grounding-common-misconceptions.99325/

It may be overwhelming at first but it is not that hard once you get in there.

15. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

This is what it looks like right now.. tried moving wires around and the bridge still sounds like its completely rolled off.. the neck pickup sounds fine, not sure what else to do at the moment.

Attached Files:

16. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

17. Dun Ringill

Hopefully he didn't overheat the pushback wire and create a short inside.

howardlo likes this.
  18. Dun Ringill

There is a lot of frayed wire there. Only takes a little strand to short.

reSINguitarist likes this.
  19. Hogie34

Hogie34 Member

Looks like a lot of melted/burned insulation on those leads , frayed wire and nasty solder joints. He definitely overheated the wires. Might want to find another tech to take your guitar to if you don't feel comfortable trying it yourself. Not trying to be offensive, but some techs are really good at set ups etc and not good with soldering/wiring , vice versa.

howardlo likes this.
  20. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Welp! Swallowed my pride and took it to another tech.. Explained all the problems.. should have answers and solutions by tomorrow. You guys responses to the pics were the icing on the cake for me.. i figured something was off but im not trained well enough to know. At first in the project he claimed my brand new CTS mini pots were shot.. so thats why he swapped one and put a gibson pot.. the capacitors i suspected bullshit. Tried to say it may be the pots again.. finally with the pics and how the wiring looks im just gonna let someone else fix this mess and hopefully reverse any potential damage.