More ammo for the tone wood debate

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MikeyTheCat, Sep 11, 2017.

1. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

You rat bastid... Sucks the tonez right out...

Geeze.

:cool:

Thermionik, SteveGangi and redjunior like this.
  2. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

All I know is that Joe Walsh is responsible for more classic rock guitar tones than any piece of wood. The guy had a knack for matching a guitar to a player.

Thermionik, Who and Bill Hicklin like this.
  3. ehb

Some months back I bout a Steinberger bass V, all maple, neck through.

Did I jump on it primarily because it was maple? Nawt. I jumped on it because it didn't sound like composite basses I had played. Much better tone color. Found out it was maple after hearing one. If it was hog, I would have still bought it. I wanted a stick bass V that didn't sound like composites I'd played. This just happened to be maple.

I'd like an all maple natural Lester.
    Why? Because...

Thermionik and redjunior like this.
  4. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

It's not a matter of opinion, it's fact. But go ahead and "think" it's subjective all you like. No skin off my my teeth.

5. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I'll let you in on a little secret;

There is no spoon.

Wait, no, lightweight aluminum cast mounting screws. That's the ticket.

6. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

No spoon? Isn't it like a MLP rule that pics must contain spoons? How else do we know things are really what you say they are?

7. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

This is a MOST amusing thread. 90% of electric guitar through overdriven electrics, well... folk can't even tell what guitar it is played on, let alone if the damned oompahloompah tree was cut down in spring and cured for six years in a Parisian brothel before being cut just so...

The 10% of electric guitar where some tone from the instrument actually creeps through the pedals, amp, speaker and recording process, well... all those things, from strings through to the listener's ears, can be fooled by the guitarist's fingers on the neck and the picking - pick an LP near the bridge right, and it's a Tele, pluck a Strat up near the neck pickup and do it right, it's a Lester.

Just pick a guitar that feels good to play, sits nicely in your hands and makes you smile as you play it, and away you go. Maker? Irrelevant. Cost? Irrelevant. Suits you and your playing? VITAL...

8. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i want me some oompaloompa tree flying V's.

9. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

IMG_0144.JPG

SteveGangi, Who, Byron999 and 3 others like this.
  10. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

Enjoying this thread SO much I figured I would add fuel to the fire. Vis:-

concrete guitar

aluminium guitar

plastic guitar

SteveGangi and Tim Fezziwig like this.
  11. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i had a carbon fiber "blade" with a jb/59 in it. sounded like a jb/59 guitar.

my ears are screwed though, sat waaaaay to close to the who back in the 80s.

Thermionik likes this.
  12. ehb

13. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

There are always two arguments attached to this topic. The first, which is demonstrably false, is that materials and construction can not affect the signal produced by an electric guitar. That argument is based on the partial understanding that an electric guitar's output is produced (usually) as an electric impulse generated as a string vibrates in the magnetic field of a pickup, and therefore those two things are the only components of the guitar's amplified sound. This fails to account for the innumerable things that influence exactly how the string will vintage; among these are the materials of construction.

The second argument is that the materials' influence is somewhere between obvious and inconsequential, and whether that influence imparts a characteristic signature. That's largely subjective, but certainly by the time you have a finished recording or a full band in a live performance, it just isn't going to be a major factor. The most obvious example I can think of is the Stairway solo being a Tele with a topmount bridge, and not any kind of humbucker guitar, never mind the LP that most casual listeners would assume by reputation alone.

Thermionik and Bill Hicklin like this.
  14. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

I think the amp is more important than the guitar. But since the amp isn't, "flamed maple with Brazilian handles and ivory knobs with ebony corners (or whatever)"....we don't argue about Amps and just accept that everyone likes different amps.

Amps aren't "Sexy" the way guitars are. They're generally treated as the tools they are and treated like boring faceless boxes that few pay attention to. (lets be honest, most amps are boring looking black boxes.)

So you get guys with 10 absolutely stunning Les Pauls plugging them into a Line 6 Spider or something, going, "The tone is sht!",..then swapping all the caps and knobs and pots and trying different humbuckers and blah blah blah,...when really they should've bought a good amp instead of 8-9 extra guitars. :laugh2:

(in my opinion. <----disclaimer to cover butthurt ) :D

15. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Show me some vintage heads/cabs and some glowin' tubes any day!

:thumb:

Thermionik likes this.
  16. Malikon

most people don't care about amps though. They don't go on and on about all the tiny details of an amp and whether chicken head knobs have better tone or whatever. Amps are generally amps.

and even the amp brands that people like to sht on (like Peavey) have killer amps in their lineup like the 5150. Every amp company has 1 or 2 really good amps. Probably Crate and Line 6 also have a great amp in their lineup. (I just don't know their names.)

SS, Tubes, Modelers,...I've heard really good examples of all them.

..but then it also comes down to personal preference, the type of music you like, vintage Overdrive VS Modern High Gain,..etc etc.

Thermionik, parts and rcole_sooner like this.
  17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

And don't forget about how sexy pedals are. :naughty:

But, how about cables? Are cables sexy? :dunno:

Thermionik likes this.
  18. Malikon

I suppose if she's tied up with them they can be. :D

(tweed cables are cool.)

19. ehb

20. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I love the new guitar threads. Just spent $5K on a new LP, and of course ordered the beeswax caps and turbo pots with thousand dollar hand wound pickups...gonna be SWEET!