More ammo for the tone wood debate

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MikeyTheCat, Sep 11, 2017.

1. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

When you A/b test the sound in a controlled environment, yes you can perk your ears and hear 'something'.

Questions: How many people make music in a controlled environment with another guitar next to you so that you can hear the minute difference that it makes?

If heard blindfolded, could you tell which wood was which?

Is paying an extra $1000 for that 'AAAA' maple cap worth the difference in the sound that only you can hear (barring that you don't drag around another player with you always so that you can A/B test to prove your wood choice)?

In a live setting, or recording..... do you really hear those differences? Can you honestly pick out whether a LPC or LP STD is being played on a recording?

Now test your conclusions.

2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I do. If I didn't think there was a difference in sound, I wouldn't own more than 1 or 2 guitars (electric and acoustic)

I've been in live situations where I couldn't even make out what chords the other guys were playing, I wouldn't use that as a basis to argue that chords don't sound different from each other. I can't always tell you what chord is being played on a recording just by listening to it either. I can't tell whether Jimmy Page is using a LP or Tele on certain recordings, but I know the difference when I'm playing a Tele and LP

Not directing this at you Geo, but I find it amusing when these discusses on tone come down to whether or not the little differences matter. Whether or not these matter is as subjective as whether or not there is a discernible difference in the first place

Thermionik, Byron999 and geochem1st like this.
  3. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

I totally agree with you on this... It is indeed very subjective. Especially the importance that difference makes.

4. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

:laugh2: Now we have something concrete to talk about.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  5. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

More fuel..
    Because this is the opposite of direct mounting the pickup, showing the relationship between the body vibration and string vibration..

6. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

For sure Bobby, the test is excellent but flawed. I posted the video because it seemed fun and could generate conversation that won't get me banned. :) I did think his attempt was pretty good using all the same parts and getting rid of as many variables as possible. The one that is hard to remove though is the player and all the little things we do that effect our sound. All in all a really good attempt, especially showing how they differ acoustically (no argument there) but not really electrically. Always in good spirit Bobby. :)

7. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

There's is no debate.

Electric guitar tonewood = no

KP likes this.
  8. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

all of it matters. Every little bit.

"like,..everything has it's own resonant frequency maaan,..everything is vibrating,..always. Sometimes those vibrations are like,..harmonious,..dig?"

personally I think it's silly to say that no single part of it matters,..but I think it's silly to say that one part matters most of all. It's all magic.

And there's "weird stuff" that people don't really understand (maybe serious instrument makers do),..like if you tap on a body blank and it makes an 'E' sound,..and you tap on a neck blank and it makes a 'B' sound,..they'll probably sound good together, maybe you'll even get cool overtones and that weird voodoo that's hard to quantify. Maybe you tap on the neck and it makes a 'Bb' sound and you glue it to that 'E' body,..and the guitar ends up sounding like sh*t and no one can ever figure out why.

*shrug*

I've seen weird things happen with guitars. And I've seen small seemingly inconsequential changes to a guitar make big differences. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. (like very heavy tuners replacing very light ones and suddenly the guitar sounds good and has good sustain. WTF? The tuners? Really?)

...and honestly,..some people have really shtty ears anyway and can't tell the difference between a Strat or a Les Paul. :laugh2: and sometimes those are the people yelling the loudest about "what matters in good tone." :laugh2:

It's fun to argue over though, I guess.

..it's more fun to just play guitar and not be the guy who yells at trains. :laugh2:

Thumpalumpacus, Thermionik and smk506 like this.
  9. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

Benjammin likes this.
  10. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Wow, I'm glad we all have you to tell us what to think.

Thermionik and Dave_W like this.
  11. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Ammo? Fir doesn't have enough sectional density; I imagine mahogany would mushroom better on impact but maple would have better penetration characteristics.

SteveGangi likes this.
  12. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Wood matters. Like fezz said,necks are a big part of it.

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  13. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

I suspect as modeling amps more and more become the norm, it really wont matter what the guitar is. It'll be regulated to a mere 'input device',...like a mouse or a keyboard.

The amp will be able to make anything sound like PAF or p90 or Single Coils going into a Marshall, Blackface Fender, Vox, Peavey 5150,...whatever.

Guitars wont even have to be "good" anymore,..they'll just have to work.

Do we use the highest quality keyboards and mice? Nope...we get what's on sale,..as long as it works it works.

Guitars will be made of MDF or whatever like that particle board furniture they sell at Walmart.

Thermionik and dsmcl77 like this.
  14. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I don't have the time, money or energy for it.
    Strat, LP, 2204, Tweed.
    Pretty much removes all the guesswork.
    :)

SteveGangi likes this.
  15. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

There IS a difference in the wood blanks in the vid...

That being said, if you did the same thing with different slabs but all the same type wood, there would STILL be a difference... No two slabs are the same...

I get tired of even 'hearing' Corkerazis blather the words "tone wood"...

Good wood is good wood. (shut it) I don't care WHICH wood. (shut IT)

One day, folks will be spouting off about how much warmer Ikea oatmeal board guitars are...

BlankinLoud and Thermionik like this.
  16. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Personally, I use a mahogany mouse with flame maple buttons and a bone scroll wheel. The woody click I hear while web browsing is like no other.

17. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Pop ear quiz: (you guys who already know the answer, keep quiet, and the rest of you don't go running to Google it).

Did the guitar with which Townshend recorded most of Who's Next and Quadrophenia have a maple cap or was it all mahogany? Use your ears; the difference should be clearly audible, right?

Who and Thermionik like this.
  18. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I distinctly heard a three ply pickguard...

19. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that the original Fender Telecasters were pine because that was the cheapest thing available. Had nothing to do with tone.

SteveGangi, BlankinLoud, KP and 3 others like this.
  20. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I can get behind the 'it all adds up' theory, especially since it is comfortable ground for me, but I'm wondering too these days if any of it is anything that really makes a difference in the mix or can't be sorted with a few knob twists, especially in real world playing with a band practices.

You've got worlds more experience there so I would be interested to hear what you think on that.

... Actually, thinking as I type, it's pretty common knowledge you can take 12 of the same model and each one comes out a little different in the end.

I really don't know what I stand for anymore. I'm like a gypsy ronin with no home and no creed.

Pick guard on though.

Thermionik and redjunior like this.