Mojotone VibroChamp Build

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Cjsinla, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

A Tweed Princeton runs at about 7 watts and the circuit is basically a Tweed Champ with a tone control, right. Sounds pretty sweet to me. Should definitely have more clean overhead than a Greta.

2. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Both of you again making good sense. And M & M, I have a 10" WGS Veteran in a hybrid Cab I built with a 12" Eminence and it sounds great, so yeah, that would be a good possibility. CJ, I've always thought that the Princeton was the perfect "at home" sized amp, but what I'd really like is a Princeton Reverb with the circuit tweaked to tweed specs. I could build it myself, just need to find a schematic. It's like I have two devils sitting on my shoulder advising me, and no angel to provide counterpoint and good sense ?

3. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Well, the tweed and the blackface Princeton’s are wildly different, schematically. If you’re looking to have reverb to a tweed, I’d recommend building a standalone tank to run out front, like it was done then. If that sounds like a pita, grab a Topanga. I’ve got one and love it.

4. sonar

sonar Senior Member

A 6G15 reverb is a really fun project that isn't too complicated. I built one last year to go with an AB165 Bassman I restored. Can't beat it for spongy, surfy reverb with attack[​IMG][​IMG]

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  5. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Whose kit was that?

6. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I sourced parts and used some old stuff I had.

7. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I saw that Mojo and Weber both have a Reverb kit. Those kits are not cheap but that explains why the blackface Princeton Reverb kit is so much more expensive than the Tweed Princeton kit.

8. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I've never built an amp from a complete kit. On a couple occasions I bought basic tag (or turret) boards bundled with component kits to save a couple bucks, but they were not really necessary, nor did I save all that much.

Part of the fun for me is sourcing parts for a build. Write up a parts list (or google one) compare to a wiring diagram, scour the forums and ebay for recommended components, email a cabinet builder, order from Amplified Parts... it's a really good build-up.

The only build that came close to the cost of a complete, non-sale Mojo kit was my Vibro Champ, which was also my first build. If you shop around sourcing your own parts, have some patience and do some homework you can save significantly compared to the cost of a Blackface or Tweed Mojo kit. You'll also get the parts you want, as long as they aren't premium pieces like MM transformers or PIO Jensen capacitors, which can really bump up the cost of a build.

9. Leña_Costoso

I've got the 6G15 kit on order from Mojo... with their usual 40-50 day cabinet wait.

10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I’ve got a drill press now and plan to build all the next ones on turrets.
    I sourced all my own stuff and built the cab from pine I got at Home Depot. I’ve got some old boards that are up in the rafters that have been laying flat for 10yrs now. I’m hoping to build a 4x10 slant cab for a 6v6 2204. Some 20w coils on WGS 10” ET-65 and 10” Veterans in an X pattern.
    I can’t wait to get building. I’ve never done tolex before, just stained the cabs, because that’s how I like it, but I think the tolex would be more durable.
    First I gotta clean the garage. I just scored an old craftsman 10” radial arm saw and it’s killer. Now I only need the tablesaw for cutting the finger joints, and I bet I could just get a router and do dovetails.
    Hmmm.....
    :)

11. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Glad to know there are a few other people crazy enough to live with the build bug.

I look forward to new build threads.

12. Leña_Costoso

Router MUCH easier than tablesaw for finger joints... especially with the right jig.

All the different Tolex glues out there, I had (and still have) great results with good ol' Weldwood Contact Cement. Let the wood and cover go tack dry and get it right the first time! The nice thing with black tolex... (ahem) is that you can hide minor mistakes with a bit of black paint. Say like that nice slit corner shows a little wood because you fat fingered the razor blade. Black tolex... you can Q-Tip dab a bit of black enamel and wipe the excess (leaving paint in the razor line). Perhaps not "pro-Fess-shun-al" but it works!

The other nice thing with making a cabinet and covering it, is that you get to choose the layout of the back panels and such. For instance, a little expanded metal over the inside of the vent cut outs adds some charm (and holds those little strips and triangles of tolex in place as insurance.

13. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

There is a problem using tolex adhesive, or other contact cements on tolex with a fender style cab. Virtually all amp manufacturers use butt seams where the tolex pieces form a seam. Fender cabs have an overlap seam where the top and bottom panels meet the side panels. Tolex adhesive and contact cements will not form a strong permanent bond when it's tolex glued to tolex. Given time and heat, the top piece of tolex will separate.

I've only found one adhesive that works, it's HH-66 vinyl cement. It's used for auto, marine, etc upholstery.

14. Leña_Costoso

Hmm. Never had separation issues but I wont knock it if it works for ya.!

15. sonar

sonar Senior Member

This is true even with vintage Fender amps.

Oh, and "Hi" Don.

Don has helped me out (a lot) on my last 2 projects. Good people.

16. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Yah, most old Fender I've seen have the tolex separating. I've tried just about every adhesive available. I first noticed the problem when one of my heads that was used outside a lot and exposed to sun had the tolex shrinking and separating. That's when I got serious about finding a proper adhesive.