Mojotone ‘59 clones incoming

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by DB Chuckster, Oct 29, 2017.

1. DB Chuckster

DB Chuckster Member

Ordered a set of these this morning. Anyone have experience with these?

2. FuzzyPhil

FuzzyPhil Junior Member

No experience with MojoTone but would love to hear your thoughts on them, been eyeing a set myself for my les and if i get a Firebird the Johnny Winters look sweet.

3. DB Chuckster

DB Chuckster Member

Got the Mojotones in a few days ago and just had time to put them in last night. They came in like I wanted- AIV magnets, single conductor. Only got to play about 30 minutes through my Orange JR but so far I am quite pleased. Best thing that ever happened to my Desertburst. After about twenty minutes my wife walks in and says “ That sounds good as hell.”

4. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I haven't played Mojotone HBs but have used their other pickups and have been quite pleased both with the build quality and the tone, which has matched the published descriptions quite well. I have an aversion to the idea of "Holy Grail" pickups, and all the obsessiveness that comes with that, as there are plenty of "standard" PUs that are super well-made and that in the right guitar and signal chain sound phenomenal. In fact, I avoid "stunt" pickups that are either excessively hot or in some other aspect extreme, as I find it easy to get varied and extreme tones from even low output pickups, but cannot get that kind of range from a pickup that offers an unusual tone at the front end. Enjoy your Mojotones!

5. DB Chuckster

DB Chuckster Member

Agreed. The Mojotone 59 clones to me are an improvement over the 490r and SD 59 that have been in my DB standard for years (and they were pretty good). On the other hand I have a Traditional with 57/57+ that I don’t feel compelled to change at all.

6. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Man, some of you guys have it made. For a while I thought my wife had high-frequency dog hearing or something, because every time I started playing she'd start howling in pain.