Mojoaxe Compensated vs Pigtail Adjustable Wraparound on '56 Les Paul Junior

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by jailbreakrose, Apr 8, 2017.

1. jailbreakrose

jailbreakrose Junior Member

I have a 1956 Les Paul Junior that I added a Pigtail wraparound adjustable bridge to address the intonation problems I was having, as well as a little sitar buzz on the first string (I also added TonePros locking studs as well as new extra long bushings). While it fixed the problems I was having to a degree, I was wondering if I could take it a step further. The frets are original, and I know it could use a fret job, but I was wondering about the bridge, specifically. Do any of you have experiences with the Mojoaxe CWT (designed for the offset studs) vs. the Pigtail? Anyone done a 1:1 comparison with those two bridges for a 50's Gibson with the offset studs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul_Cat and RevWillie like this.
  2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I have the Mojoaxe on my '54 Replica. It's awesome. :thumb:

A friend (Liam) played it, prior to shipping & liked the Mojoaxe so much that he ordered several to put on his Vintage Juniors / Special. He said it removed the Sitar thing that happens with the Vintage Wraparounds & helped with intonation.

I would drop him a PM & ask his opinion, as he's way more qualified than I am. He's also a great bloke who's happy to help fellow members. :thumb:

Good luck & mention I sent you. :)

BTW, welcome to MLPF. :)

Cheers, Rudi.

3. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

:welcome: to the forum!

Copying and pasting my response from TGP...

No experience with the adjustable Pigtail, but I've got a MojoAxe on my '57 Special and am very happy with it. Very close on intonation and it just looks so much better (IMO).

Gratuitous pic. ;)

[​IMG]

4. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

I have the MojoAxe on my R4JB. It sounds great, looks great and has zero intonation issues. I can't imagine using anything else.

5. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Mojoaxe on my '56 junior, perfekt.

6. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

i´m not a fan of the adjustable ones. you just loose tone and sustain the more moving parts you have. i definitely prefer one piece wraptails and in this case imo mojoaxe has the best one. my R5´s have both the compensated mojoaxe.
    i also had the tonepros locking studs and switched to good one piece steel studs for the same reason. more moving parts, more connections, less tone..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. korus

korus Senior Member

No adjustable wrap around (Pigtail, Tonepro, ... whichever) has the tone of originals, as it is physically impossible - the construction and weight are different. OTOH Mojoaxe is the same like originals, it has the tone of originals AND solves the tuning issue originals were not designed to solve. On a guitar that replicates vintage design ... you get it. Case closed.

8. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

I have mojoaxe on the two juniors I've built and I have one on my 59' special. Accept no substitute for perfection. Dan is the man, his products are second to none.

9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Pigtail just seems to be a streamlined Leo Quan Badass..Mojoaxe is the more elegant solution.

10. Britbender

Britbender Senior Member

Nothing hurts my eyes like a Badass on a junior...butt uglii

11. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

I've had both - Mojoaxe all day. Looks better and feels better under my palm. Also the pigtail imparted a steely upper harmonic thing that I just didn't like - it exaggerated the guitars voice too much.

I'd even grab a gibson historic wrap around on the cheap before a pigtail just because I prefer to keep a more natural voice to the guitar. Maybe I got a bad one? The workmanship looks great but the sound just isn't for me. I've tried it on a 50s junior and a historic lp special - both got that weird upper mid thing going on.

Dan at mojoaxe is really easy to deal with too.

12. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

Mojoaxe.

13. crashbelt

crashbelt Junior Member

Mojoaxe all the way. Put them on my 50s Junior and Special. They work great and look cool. Dan is great to deal with too.

14. Seahawk2982

Seahawk2982 Senior Member

I have tried both the straight compensated Mohoaxe and the regular Pigtail wraptail on my '57 Junior. The original wraptail was gone way before I got it. Both bridges solve the sitar buzz problem and the strings ring clear. The Mojoaxe gets near perfect intonation with 10s or 11s from standard down to Eb. I found the Pigtail to be a bit brighter and maybe a tad richer sounding than the Mojoaxe But both sound excellent. The Pigtail just might be a bit truer sounding to the originals since Pigtail analyzed the old bridges and uses the exact same alloy but the Monoaxe intonates better so that's what I have on there now.

15. NachoMan77

NachoMan77 Junior Member

Another MojoAxe believer here... Dan is the Man!

16. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

How much does nickel plating cost? I've got a grinder and figure I could make similar ridges on a wraptail...

17. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Plating is getting shockingly expensive and aggressive polishing and buffing could easily undermine your work getting the right profile. I'd polish and buff myself an ask someone to plate it as is. And a good plater will do copper first.

18. stilwel

stilwel Senior Member

Mojoaxe...
    They just work and everything else looks wrong.

My Grandad's '59 Special
    [​IMG]

19. jaik

jaik Senior Member

I had a Leo Quan Badass bridge on my 57 LP Special for decades (like the adjustable pigtail in your pic) , I replaced it last year with a Mojoaxe because my Junior & Goldtop had much ballsier sounds, and the mojoaxe did impart a bit more lows and immediacy. The feel changed a bit and I was so used to how it was that I'm not sure it was a trade off I should have made. But if you aren't mega attached to the feel (ala you think it needs a fret job etc) then go for it. I think its best, for my taste, to have the least number of moving parts between the string and the wood, and a solid wraptail gets that done.

I also did a similar swap with another adjustable bridge on a 60s SG Jr , something with all kinds of hideous "fine tuners" etc, that I replaced with a solid Faber wraptail, and it made a massive improvement for that guitar.