Mojo Mojo... pedal order.

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by 5F6-A, Jun 26, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

After seeing the great tones in this video....

I decided to get a TC Electronic Mojo Mojo to use with my Strat and JTM45 amp. I'll have it here in a few weeks. Can't wait!
    Any experience with it? it seems quite unique in the world of overdrive pedals....

Pedal order goes:
    JEN wah -> Mojo Mojo -> Mooer Yellow Comp -> Mooer Black Secret -> Arion SCH-1 Chorus -> TCE HOF Mini Reverb

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Don't like it. Sits on my shelf. Not on my board. Currently using an Xotic BB Pre amongst others on my board.

3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I love the Mojomojo! Really thickens up your tone like what the videos claim. Removes any ice-pickiness you have in your tone. Use the Paul Gilbert setting - Drive 9 o'clock, Bass 3 o'clock, Treble middle, Level slightly higher than middle - into a clean amp for a smooth thick sound.

4. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

I have played it a bit. I have never owned it but a friend has it. I think it sounds pretty good. To me it sounds like the OCD but with less gain on tap.

5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Interesting... 3 replies. All different. It seems as if the MojoMojo (daft name, I know) is a bit of an acquired taste. People who play Fenders into bright amps seem to enjoy it the most. The tones in the video at top sound very good to me....

6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Thank you for the settings ideas. Playing primarily an LP I do not have those " ice pick " tonal problems. It does seem that the MojoMojo is geared more to single coils.

7. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I think it is.

8. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

9. Belvedere

Belvedere Senior Member

I love mine with both humbuckers and single coils.
    I use mine after distortion (boost -> dist -> mojomojo).

10. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

What i can appreciate in this demo:
    - Gain knob sounds great at lower settings
    - Level knob sounds best set high
    - Bass knob is seductive (especially with single coils) but can be overpowering
    - Treble knob is required to cut through the mix
    - Voice switch sounds fuller up and more scooped down but the difference is subtle.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  11. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

I own two pedalboards, a big one for big gigs and a small one for.....smaller gigs! (obvious Spinal Tap-ism!)
    I also have to point out that I own a lot of Overdrive & Distortion pedals, some of which are really sought after boutique ones, on the big pedalboard I have the Xotic SL Drive while on the smaller pedalboard, after having compared all the pedals in my possession, I have the MojoMojo as the only OD pedal; enough said.
    Well, not quite "enough" actually, there's a little bit more I'd like to add.
    I totally understand how some guys might not find the MojoMojo to be that great (it is!) as also for me it was an acquired taste; when I first got it I found it too bassy and a little on the muddy side however after experimenting with it, it's now become my pedal of choice.
    I have to say that I mainly play Les Paul's & (studio use only) Strat's and for amps I plug into Marshall or Vox amps., and this little Scandinavian box delivers every time!
    On whichever amp I use I tend to set the gain for light crunch then push it over the edge with an OD pedal and, regardless of the amp or guitar, my favourite settings on the MojoMojo are; Gain at 3 o'clock, Bass at 1 o'clock, with Level & Treble both at 2 o'clock, and these settings in conjunction with the controls on the guitar yield all those fabulous late 60's/early 70's British Rock tones we all know & love. I mean, it still doesn't come any better than those sounds...!
    If I turn the Bass on the MojoMojo any higher than 1 o'clock then it does indeed become too muddy and you can say bye bye to using the neck pickup altogether, and even on the bridge pickup it sounds great on the top three strings but the bottom ones just sound indistinct and...muddy!
    This is my experience with the MojoMojo.

5F6-A likes this.
  12. Belvedere

Belvedere Senior Member

Lol I set my mojomojo exactly like you for most part of the setlist.
    It's fabulous with all my guitars but just uncanny with my rickenbacker.

Les Paulverizer and 5F6-A like this.
  13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Any idea about gain stacking using this pedal?

14. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Here's a video which is mostly about the Dark Matter pedal, but at around 15 minutes it demos the MojoMojo together with the Dark Matter.

5F6-A likes this.
  15. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

Not a bad sounding OD but I could see how it gets overlooked with many of the other great ODs out which are available. It may not be for everyone but so what! If you like it more power to your tone.