Modes

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by ashbass, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

The way I see it, modes are just variations of a 7-string master pattern that have different beginning points. Below is an image of this master pattern. Note that the bottom three lines are the same pattern, the 3rd and 4th lines are the same pattern, and the 1st and 2nd lines are the same pattern. These groupings of fingerings form the basis of the Modes.

[​IMG]

The black lines (first 6) above make up what is called the Major scale as played on a typical 6-string guitar. The root note for this scale is the first note on the 6th string. Below is a modified diagram showing the Major scale on just six strings.

[​IMG]

In the master pattern at top, again notice that the bottom three lines (including blue) have the same fingering pattern. As noted, the Major scale (Ionian Mode) fingering pattern begins with the first note of the second of the three similar lines. So what do we have if we shift our master pattern up so that the root note on our 6th string corresponds to the first note of the third of these three lines? Answer: the Mixolydian Mode.

[​IMG]

And if we shift our master pattern down so that the root note on our 6th string corresponds to the first note of the first of these three lines? Lydian Mode

[​IMG]

I hope that you can see that the fingering groupings are the same for these three modes. All that is different is where in the master pattern you choose to begin with your root note (well, that and the shift thing on the top two strings--see the noodle stuff at bottom of page). The master pattern is behind all of them.

I've laid out all of the modes in a pleasing pdf file that you can see and print by clicking the image below.

[​IMG]

Wanna fry your noodle?

The modes above all start with the root note on the sixth string of your guitar. Did you notice that the root note is shown as a square? Do you see other squares in the mode patterns? Those are the root note again, appearing octaves apart from the starting one on string six. Any one of those square notes can be used as the starting point for the mode pattern. Except now, instead of only being able to "walk up" the strings from six to one, you can walk up and down the strings in the same mode pattern from any string anywhere on the neck.

Be aware that there is still that "7th string" to account for when you are wrapping your fingering patterns around the fretboard. Notice in the Lydian example above that the first string and the sixth string have the same fingering pattern. This is because what you see on the first string is actually the wraparound of the blue seventh string seen in the master pattern example. The middle of the three bottom lines from the master pattern is "in limbo" so to speak behind the fretboard.

Note also that the nature of guitar tuning dictates that the top two strings are shifted one fret to the right from the rest of the strings. If this were not so, the master plan's top two lines' pattern would sit directly above the 2nd and 3rd lines' pattern. It would be so much easier to remember that way. But is not like that and those top two lines do shift one fret to the right. So, every mode/scale will be a little different as each will have a different set of two strings that need to shift.

A cool exercise is to play one mode up from the 6th string to the 1st string, then slide up/down one note and play the adjacent mode down from the 1st string to the 6th. Then slide again and play the next mode up, then slide, and play the next mode down. Again, and again, and again.

2. HolyGrail

HolyGrail V.I.P. Member

Ashbass

I don 't mean this to be condescending in any way . :)

A little Mode theory 101

What you've noticed about model fingerings is basically correct,
    but not all modes sound correct over all triads or chords

You do have the modes a bit mixed up.

* Ionian
    * Dorian
    * Phrygian
    * Lydian,
    * Mixolydian
    * Aeolian
    * Locrian

However you've missed what Modes are also about.

Example~ What we know as a major scale ( Ionian ) is the first mode.
    Why ? because the church liked it the best and it sounded correct to them .

Most rock songs we know consist of triads, I VI IV V I ( 1,6 4,5,1 ) or
    I VI II V ( 1,6,2,5,1 )
    " Incase someone didn't know, 3 notes are not called chords, but triads.
    A chord consists of 4 or more notes in a mode."

Lets take a C Ionian Mode, commonly known as a C major scale & use ( 1,6 4,5,1 )
    The first triad would be C maj ( Notes would be CEG ) .The 6th triad would be A min
    ( Notes would be ACE ) The 4th triad would be F maj ( Notes would be FAC ) The 5th triad G maj ( notes would be GBD )

Now if we took the same notes and started on D Dorian Mode.which is a
    minor mode & again use ( 1,6 4,5,1 ). We'd start our song on the first triad in the mode, a D min the 1. ( Notes would be DFA ) The 6th triad would be B min
    ( Notes would be BDF) The 4th triad would be G maj ( Notes would be GBD )
    The 5th triad A min ( notes would be ACE ) Now we're still using the same notes
    as the C Ionian ( Major scale ) but will end up with a totally different sound .

The church approved of the Dorian mode too :naughty:

Now if we used the exact same progression I VI IV V I ( 1,6 4,5,1 ) and started on the 4th note of the C major scale ( Ionian Mode ) which would be F, we'd be
    using the Lydian mode . The 1 triad Fmaj ( Notes would be FAC ) 6th would be D min ( Notes would be DFA ) 4th triad B min ( Notes would be BDF )
    Try it it wills sound very unique. This can be done with all modes.

The church didn't like the Lydian mode. :fingersx:
    A little too Satanic for their liking . :wow:

BTW~ This is just the beginning of what can be done !
    It's really exciting when you understand it.

If there's interest, I may do a slight 102 course if anyone even cares . lol

3. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

No offense taken of course. All the better in fact.

My layout is intended only to show the fingerboard relationships between the modes, not any theory behind them. Just like a picture of a fingerboard with the 'blues scale' boxes highlighted isn't supposed to teach anyone how to play the blues. They are a starting point--a simplification that might help someone get closer to understanding. The order they are in on the sheet is not the order they maybe should be in according to music theory but the order in which they fit best aesthetically on the page. This layout best shows the fingering relationships that move out from the center of the page which is the Ionian mode, or the 'correct' starting point as you've noted. I don't pretend to understand how to use them across music.

No offense to you, but for many of us I'm sure, a lot of what you say above is over our heads and playing ability. I'm sure that you are right, but I cant' do what you're talking about. I can practice scales and movement around the neck though. The chart above can help at least to get muscle memory in my fingers so they'll be ready when I'm able to do what you recommend. I hope to get there eventually.

4. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

:acoustic::thumb::jam:

5. HolyGrail

HolyGrail V.I.P. Member

AshBass,

You did a great job by bringing it up & your charts . Actually the history was an after thought for me to try and make it all make more sense .
    It is confusing to most and I debated whether I should even comment on it at all . I just figured seeing as I understand and had to study it , I could help
    make it more clear and there by make people more interested. I thought it might even open up more creative avenues as you've noticed it's done for you.

My correction on where the modes begin I thought necessary to understand, so people could get a grasp on it.

As I said before it was not to be little you. :wave:

I see I need to drop music theory , harmony and composition on here.
    It seems to piss people off , instead of open their minds .

The reaction is a true paradox to me. :cool:

6. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

I would like to see more post like this I think the charts really bring it in grasp to us

7. HolyGrail

HolyGrail V.I.P. Member

If anyone has music theory , harmony ,arranging ,composition or counter point questions that I may be able to help with, just ask me and I'll try to help. I'll start a new thread dedicated to that subject as Flick has asked me
    so we all can have input and learn from one another.

I don't like coming off as a know it all and I DON'T know it all .
    So I won't just post lessons or what I think you should know without
    you wanting it.

In fact most of what I've discussed at the beginning of this reply was backwards
    engineered over the centuries and than became the Science of Music . ( the chicken came first when it comes to music )