Modes

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by MIDNIGHT, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

can anybody please fill me in on all the modes and explain to me how each one branches from the major scale? ... please? :wave:

:fingersx:

like for example, ...

lydian - major scale with a raised 4th

mixolydian - major scale with a flat 7

phrygian dominant - phrygian with a major 3rd

etc..

can ya'll fill me in on the other ones too please? :wave:

[​IMG]

:hippie:

2. Swordscythe

Swordscythe Senior Member

3. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

ahh i dont put to much thought into how it all relates witth the perfects and augamented etc. i just know which are maj and min and use them in that context. sometimes ive even run 2 modes on the same chord. one mode acending and one mode decending. in my book it dont matter so long as it all fits the mood your looking for.

This of it this way in C. notes in the key are CDEFGABC

C. Major. Major scale mode 1
    D Minor. Dorian scale mode 2
    E Minor. Phygrian scale mode 3
    F Major. Lydian Scale mode 4
    G Major. Mixolydian scale mode 5
    A Minor. Aeolean scale mode 6 (also called natural minor scale)
    B Minor or (diminished or augmented how ever throrist put it) Locrian mode 7. I use it as a minor to make life easier. see whats easier, fretting a diminshed chord or fretting a minor chord and youll see how im thinking

4. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

:rofl: Midnite your trying to make things difficult for yourself again.

5. MIDNIGHT

honestly, i think it makes things a whole lot easier.. it bites my memory harder :p

different strokes :p

6. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I get so confused and lost trying to decipher readings about modes, need to learn in person. I don't think I took in one word off the wikipedia page.. >.<

7. MIDNIGHT

me as well :rofl: but i think i've gained more understanding off of simply playin' past couple of days :thumb:

ok here's what i got so far.. :wave: i'll try to explain with respect to the major and minor scales.. :wave:

Ionian (Major) - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (and then back to 1 of course -- the 1 of the next octave...)

Aeolian (Minor) - 1 2 3b 4 5 6b 7b (major scale with its 3rd, 6th, and 7th flattened)

Lydian - 1 2 3 4# 5 6 7 (major scale with a sharp 4th)

Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7b (major scale with a flat 7th)

Dorian - 1 2 3b 4 5 6 7b (major scale with its 3rd and 7th flattened / minor scale with a major 6th)

Locrian - 1 2b 3b 4 5b 6b 7b (major scale with its 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th flattened / phrygian scale a flat 5th)

Phrygian - 1 2b 3b 4 5 6b 7b (major scale with its 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th flattened / minor scale with a flat 2nd)

Phrygian Dominant - 1 2b 3 4 5 6b 7b (major scale with its 2nd, 6th, and 7th flattened / phrygian scale with a major 3rd)

veterans, did i get everything right? :fingersx:

:hippie:

8. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Brother, I think he's built that way :rofl::rofl:
    I dont bother puttin names to modes, I just try and play around with what I know, too much theory is too much thinkin, and if ya gotta think about it, you gonna miss feeling it when ya play it

9. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

wow man I couldn't remember all that if I had too. Dude just learn what you need for the style of music you enjoy, once you get that move on to something a little different and so on. Remember there is a reason that major universities offer music theory as a major. If you want to be a classical master your going down the right path if however you wana jam with your buddy and enjoy yourself then this might not be the best route.