Modeling/solid state amps with great headphone outputs

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Nov 28, 2017.

1. KenG

KenG Senior Member

The right headphones for the job and an understanding that, unless you employ filtering, you are going to hear hi-fidelity audio coming out of an AXE, Kemper, Helix, Headrush etc and not the reduced range of frequencies a guitar amp produces.
    I just revisited the HT1 schematic out of pure curiosity, and the headphones don't even tap off the power amp! So basically the guitars signal goes through 2 Op Amp stages then both halves of a dual triode, then 4 more stages of Op-Amps, then 2 more stages of Op-Amps before going into a stereo mixer (op-amp) then out the headphone plug! One one tube in the signal path of the two provided.
    An example of the placebo effect?
    Perhaps.

mdubya and cybermgk like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yep. Basically like playing a dirt pedal into a cab sim (and not an IR).

mdubya likes this.
  3. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

This is why I recommended the Amplug series headphone amps guys!! It will give him more options with a similar response. I have one of those things and it is better than my HT5 output!

mdubya likes this.
  4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

If he just wants his dirt pedal tone, then he should get something like a Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B or other IR pedal.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  5. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

I think you were onto something with this post. I ended up getting a Runt 20, running the XLR output into a mixer, and using that for headphone use (I also use it with an Orang cab/speaker)

The best headphone sounds I get in my opinion with this setup is when I use dirt pedals on the clean channel. The Friedman Runt 20 takes pedals very well and this actually sounds really good (at least to me) when I'm playing with headphones. Pedals sounded terrible in the front of my Blackstar, this is definitely not the case with the Friedman. Running backing tracks in my mixer also sounds a lot clearer vs directly into an amp like the Blackstar HT-1. It took a bit of time and patience to learn how to tweak the mixer and adjust the amp, pedals, etc, but I think this might be what I've been looking for :D

EDIT: The drive channel sounds much better through the cab. I don't use any dirt pedals if I'm playing out loud. Thought I'd mention that.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    AmpedUp and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:photos: or shens. It is the rule. :hippie:

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  7. MichaelAndrew3435

Posted in the other forum.

mdubya and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  8. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I gave up trying to get a great headphone sound out of any guitar device... too much of too many freq's comes through the speakers. The fact that the speakers are only about an inch or so for my eardrum doesn't help matters.

A good bit of my practicing comes through my headphones, and almost every time, out of habit, I find myself beginning to tweak the sound. This is not a good idea, and I force myself to stop now, because it will ruin the tones I have already set up to sound great coming out of my monitors. Plus, any amount of tweaking doesn't really help the headphones to sound that much better, anyway, YMMV.

9. MichaelAndrew3435

Resurrected this thread. I recently purchased one of these and it seems to be the real deal. I think my quest for great headphone tone is officially over. I know I've said this before but so far I'm loving this thing.

I've had a thread going for this device in the other side of the amp forum. This is UAD's OX Reactive Load Box. Basically it acts as a speaker emulator as well as an attenuator. It comes stock with 6 different rigs to choose from. It almost 100% replicates my amps sound through headphones and has some other cool features as well (like the Room knob). Thought I might share my thoughts on this device in the modeling section because there's some modeling going on when I'm using it. Not amp modeling, but cab/speaker modeling :D

The only con is that it takes a bit of tweaking to get what I want, but not a whole lot. I loved this thing so much I decided to get one of UA's Interfaces to use with my laptop. I have the OX running into the UA Arrow into my MacBook Pro. I haven't tried to do any recording yet but it's something I plan to do in the near future. The Arrow is a great product as well. Between the OX and the Arrow, there are a ton of features I haven't even used yet. I've been too busy playing with the stock features on the OX.

Also, to those of you here who previously questioned my taste me when I said I liked the sound of the HT1 through headphones, your comments and judgments seem to be more justified. I plugged into my ole Blackstar HT-1 earlier today to see what I would think of it after spending 3 weeks with the OX. It sounded pretty terrible in comparison. I guess 4 months back, that was my best option for headphone play. I now believe I have the ultimate setup for headphone tone.

10. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

If I didn't have an Ax8, I would be looking at one of these. Wondered how it sounded with headphones. Congrats!

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.