Modeling/solid state amps with great headphone outputs

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Nov 28, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Sounds good. I don't want another alert from you discussing it any further.

2. frankv

frankv Have You Ever Lost A Love? V.I.P. Member

You won't Michael cause you just made my Ignore list.

3. MichaelAndrew3435

Ignored a dude cause he didn't like an amp you liked. Lol.

paruwi likes this.
  4. MichaelAndrew3435

I don't like the headphone output on the Blackstar HT-5 head either. That was the whole reason I decided to try an Axe Fx. I do like the headphone out on my Blackstar HT-1 though (why? I don't know I guess), but it has no FX loop. I didn't like what I heard out of the Axe FX after spending $1,800 on it. I gotta figure something else out I suppose.

5. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

There are plenty of options. I liked the HT1 headphone out too. See your Sqwak Box thread

AmpedUp likes this.
  6. LtDave32

LtDave32 Desert Star Guitars Super Mod Premium Member MLP Vendor

*Mod Note*

I am so DAMN SICK OF THIS.

just shut the hell up, all of you "arguers".

Next time I run into some tube vs modeling argument, and I don't care WHAT, and I don't care WHO, those involved are getting banned.

Grow the hell up for crissake.

-And I'd better not get a PM on it, because I'm SICK of that too.

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

this will get true here in this thread !

LtDave32 likes this.
  8. LtDave32

I thought that after I cooled off some at the frigging CRAP going on in this thread, I could look at it more objectively and try to gain some value out of what was said between members.

-Not so.

I am really, REALLY tired of having to come in to this sub-forum and CLEAN MESSES UP.

I asked fellow moderator Paruwi to do it because I was too PO'ed at the sheer frequency of trouble in this sub-forum.

I'm glad he did. Because if left to me people would be chucked into the stratosphere.

My "advisement of caution" sticky in this forum means absolutely nothing. What a waste of time and effort.

I can promise you this; the very next time I have to clean up the mess, it will be for the very LAST time any of us has to deal with it.

Hey, sometimes you just have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

9. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

mm, the odd thing is, that when I had a Blackstar HT-1, though it had a good headphone out, it really lacked in feel. It was super compressed which took all the dynamics away when playing. In fact, it actually has so much SS in the gain chain, your not actually getting the feel of tubes. What your 'feeling' with the little 2 tube HTs is basically the feel of a pedal, which isn't really the feel of a tube amp.

It's not feeling the tube amp/transformer sag, or note bloom. In reality, I think you like the feel of digital better, as in pedals, and not what a tube amp does as much. Because, the only tube amp I have personally had, that matched the feel of my Axe or Kemper was my 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. But, it needed pedals to get dirty at decent volumes , and there went a lot of that feel.

I suspect, that is the feel you prefer, that compressed feel the HTs excel at. I say this so you can factor it in, in your quest.

To each his own.

I think I would give more than one day with ANY gear though. But that's me.

ttbit and MichaelAndrew3435 like this.
  10. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Dave, I share your frustration... I sometimes feel a bit taken back by your harsh words, but I tend to understand why the more I reflect on it. I'm sure we can keep this sub forum positive and useful to those looking for advice and tip on modeling gear. A tip of the coffee mug to you good sir :cheers2:

cherrysunburst00 and LtDave32 like this.
  11. LtDave32

They wouldn't be harsh if I didn't have to come back again, again, and again, and again, and again, and again.. to yet another mess.

All I want here are positives.

Yet what I observed earlier I wouldn't describe as "positive". The bullying has to end.

Let's hope a moment of hard hand paves a path through the crap and back on track to good things.

And thank you, bear.

cheers.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

You really can't argue about what person thinks sounds better. Its so subjective and we all have different tastes. It not a right or wrong choice. I also think if I spent the$$ on a high end unit iI would be prepared to spend sometime with it before making any final decisions but that's me. The only thing I thought was funny was referring to an HT 1 or HT 5 as a Tube amp If they can be called tube amps then my VOX AV15 is tube amp.

AmpedUp, frankv and mdubya like this.
  13. MichaelAndrew3435

I haven't ruled out other modeling options that would better suit my needs. For me, if I spend nearly 2k on an item, it better blow me away. Maybe not right when I turn it on or plug it in, but after a day or two of tweaking it to match my preferences, I feel like I should have a decent idea of whether it was worth it or not. When I first played my LP Custom, my Clapton Strat, and my Bogner ATMA, I knew they were gems/keepers within an hour. They were worth every penny.

There's nothing wrong with the Axe Fx. The sound I got just didn't wow me when playing through headphones. That is what I was looking for and I just didn't feel it. Perhaps the Axe FX is a much better unit for someone who wants a Swiss army type amp that can get you close to any tone imaginable. I might be too simple for all its features. All I need is a nice overdrive, an effects loop (or nice built in effects), a foot switch to go from clean to dirty, and an EXCELLENT headphone output.

That's an interesting point about the Blackstar HT's. Out of all the amps I've had, the headphone out on my HT-1 combo sounds almost 100% identical compared to playing out loud. I don't know why I disliked the sound of my Blackstar HT-5 head through headphones compared to the HT-1. I had it set to the exact same settings and it just didn't sound as good. Are there any differences between the two other than wattage?

I'm open to other suggestions as far as modelers go. Just needs to meet my requirements and be relatively small.

cherrysunburst00 and NotScott like this.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

There are arguments for other modelers over the AXE FX, but I don't think you will find one that sounds better.

I can understand buyers remorse on a $2K item, but if you aren't blown away...I just don't know what to tell you. :shock:

You can knock the interface, the price, the complexity, but the models are as good as it gets.

AmpedUp, ttbit and frankv like this.
  15. NotScott

NotScott Senior Member

I am not familiar with Blackstars or Fractals but I have a house full of vintage tube and boutique amps, an Amplifire 3 and a Kemper. If you want good-sounding, high-gain tones through headphones without a lot of tweaking, without a lot of Windows and other computer setting BS and you can use it with your FX and/or in place of your FX with your amps, I would go with an Amplifire 3. I can't recommend the Tweed and Vox amplifiers in the unit but the Marshalls and Friedmans rip with the right IRs and settings. New, they are a quarter of the price of a Fractal and it will give you a cheaper entry to the world of modelling and using IRs. I use my Amplifire specifically for this very purpose and I am happy with it. If you decide modelling is for you, keep it and you are done. If not, they are easy to sell.

I am not too far from you. If you want to come by and hear mine, you are more than welcome. I will even let you borrow it for a few days if you want.

16. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

Agree here. I PMd you a couple options earlier, that I would consider in your case. I don't think you can do any better with real amp emulation, but the key here is that you might not really like the sound of the amps being modeled. A Blackstar does not sound like anything else, and maybe you like that sound.

I am going to go one step further here. Have you tried any of those little AmPlugs? They sound pretty good, and one of those could be the type of sound you are looking for. I think maybe thinking "outside the box" might work for you, if you really didn't like the sounds coming from the Axe...?? Nobody says you have to spend $2000 on headphone sound that might work for YOU!

AmpedUp, frankv and mdubya like this.
  17. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

It will be positive when it is not dominated by one or two dictators......

and be sure we don't tolerate such clowns here - and nowhere else in this forum

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  18. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I totally get that not everyone agrees on the gear they prefer, to each their own.
    have to say I am a little surprised that someone would prefer the sound of an HT1 over and Axe, but as I said to each their own. There are plenty of amps over the years that I have dug that others thought sounded like crap.
    You may want to look at a Torpedo, or as mentioned above, a Amplifire.
    Going strictly off of your tone preferences, you might also want to check out an older Line 6 POD, they are really cheap on the used market, and will probably achieve about the same tone as the HT1. Good luck on your quest my friend, I know it can be frustrating trying to find good quality home/silent tones that fit what you like. I went through the same thing until I found my Axe FX.

19. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

The gain structure is a little different, because the HT5 has an EQ section that needs a boost to the signal after. The EQ obviously is different, They use different tubes I believe, ht1 uses an ECC82 'power' and the Ht-5 a 12BH7. And,the HT-5 has a 4x12/1x12 switcheable emulated out, the HT-1 just has the one (1x12 I think I remember).

As to the Axe and Headphones. Frankly, I prefer my Axe through Monitors over Headphones. I do know, that the Axe is persniketty as to impedence on Headphones. I have a range of Headphones. Some sound like arse, some so-so, only one pair sounds really good, and to my ears, I still prefer the Studio Monitors over the cans.

My Kemper is a little more tolerant of phone impedances. I still prefer Monitors over cans with it. Kemper might be worth a try for you see also my thread here. It's a different user interface, and suits some people better.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Good point about headphone impedance. My Mustang prefered simple MP3 ear buds and, to me it sounded just amazing; particularly for a $100 amp. With a set of $29 close-out Sennheisers, it did not sound good at all.

The AX8 does not sound good through the earbuds that make the Mustang sound so good. But with the Sennheisers, the AX8 sounds nothing short of amazing, to me. :dunno:

Many, many people here have recommended a certain model of Yamaha (I think?) headphones.

Point being, both the Mustang and the AX8 are capable of great headphone sounds. But the right headphones for each one make a BIG difference.

KenG likes this.