Modeling/solid state amps with great headphone outputs

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Nov 28, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

[​IMG]

ttbit and frankv like this.
  2. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Yes, I know it may sound crazy, but it's true. I wasn't going to say anything in my original response because I don't want to start a "valve amp vs modeling amp" war, but everyone has their preference and I suppose I just like the sound and feel of a valve amp better. I do appreciate everyones input here and respect your tastes and preferences. Some toys work out for me and others don't. This wasn't the first item I've purchased and decided to return it, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

cherrysunburst00 and NotScott like this.
  3. MichaelAndrew3435

It's all good. I'm glad I gave something new a try.

AmpedUp and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Well my friend. Good luck cause I for one don't believe a word of this story. Nothing against you cause the whole thing way be true but I just don't believe any of it. I am certainly entitled to feel that way..

I have had a few Blackstar HT amps and there is No way anyone would ever mistake that is in any way being better then the 220 amps found inside the AXE... So good luck with your HT.

If I am wrong here my apologies... but I will never believe the reasoning you give....and it doesn't matter either

5. MichaelAndrew3435

It's just what I prefer. I like the feel and sound of a valve amp. Why would I lie about it? If there's anything I've learned on this entire forum, it's that everyone has their own personal preference when it comes to guitars, amps, pedals, music, ect. You obviously love your Axe Fx and that's great. I'm not going to sit here and tell you you're wrong or that you're lying because you prefer a different type of amp. I wouldn't tell that to anyone about anything, even if someone preferred a cigar box guitar over an R8.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Two points:

1. The HT-1 gets particularly bad reviews for headphone use.
    2. The HT-1 derives most of its sound from transistors. It certainly isn't a pure tube circuit.

frankv likes this.
  7. frankv

Michael. It has nothing what so ever to do with value vs anything. It's just inconsistencies. Your inconsistencies.. Look what you wrote in the other thread.

Other option (and what I'll most likely do) is to just go with a Blackstar HT-5 combo anniversary model with the white tolex. I had one about 4 years ago and sold it to fund an LP. From what I remember, the headphone out sounded great on that amp. Not sure why I didn't like the headphone out on the Blackstar HT-5 head. Does it have something to do with speaker emulation? I did have the head hooked up to an Orange PPC12.

So which is it? The HT1 and the HT5 have exactly the same headphone circuit. You like it.. you don't like it.. And to compare that low coat cheap entry level amp to an AXE FX is just laughable. It has nothing to do with me liking anything.

None of the HT series have anything near cabinet IR (responses) Doesnt matter what you plug it into.

Look, I offered to help you learn the AXE. I am sure that if you want great headphone tone I can get that for you in about 10 seconds

Read this. It is among many as outlined by Mdubya

mod edit:
    link to other forum removed!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2017
  8. MichaelAndrew3435

The HT-5 and the HT-1 sound exactly the same through headphones? Well I've had both and I can say that to me, they don't. Even with the same exact settings.

There's nothing inconsistent about my story. I hear what I hear. You seem to believe you know what I'm hearing or experiencing. I don't think you do. I wouldn't claim to "know you're wrong because you like something I might not like" because I know a lot depends on a persons preference.

You just contradicted yourself when you said "this has nothing to do with value", then said "
    And to compare that low coat cheap entry level amp to an AXE FX is just laughable". I don't think I've ever seen a dude on this forum get this heated because another guy didn't like something he liked, called him a liar, and bashed him because he liked something else. Seriously, what the hell?

9. MichaelAndrew3435

It does? Because I've read the exact opposite.

10. frankv

That is not it at all my friend. You are just looking to start an argument and all along all I have done is try to help you. I offered to come to your house. I offered to remote into your system and teach you.. Is this post how you repay my generosity?

No matter who compares an HT 1 or 5 to an AXE FX.. the results will be the same. You simple can't compare those two as they are completely in a different league from one another. Now lets stop being silly and end it now. I think you are better off in the other room..

11. MichaelAndrew3435

I'm trying to start an argument? I said numerous times that I preferred something else. Never once did I say that the Blackstar HT-1 was a better amplifier. I said it sounded better to me and I respect the opinions and preferences of others regarding modeling amps. I said and worded everything to avoid this argument. I also said it because that's what I mean. People prefer what they prefer. I don't tell anyone, and never have told anyone what they own is a POS because I have a higher end piece of gear.

Then you came along, called me a liar, questioned whether or not I actually bought the friggen Axe FX, and told me what I preferred was crap. I'm sure you're an intelligent dude who knows his stuff, but the way you act on this forum sometimes (now is an example) and your attitude towards what other people prefer makes me cautious of meeting you in person.

paruwi likes this.
  12. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

It's a lot of money to spend, so I can understand. Hard to spend that much money if you are not going to use it. I sometimes look at my AX8 and think, I only use 1% of it. :)

This would not and could not be a valve vs. modeling thing anyway, with a Blackstar, using headphones. Just pulled my HT5r out of the storage room and tried it with headphones again. Man....I would give it another week of playing before deciding. You are talking yourself out of this spend too quickly! I know tone is personal, but.....my God man. There is no comparison. You still have a BUNCH of cheaper GREAT options too, if you want.

We all have our opinions and I am not a pusher by any means!!!! I didn't think I needed the big brother to the AX8 and still don't (at this moment).

All the best on whatever you decide!!

13. frankv

You know absolutely nothing about me and please keep your opinions of my use of this forum to yourself. Just say thank you for offering to teach you the AXE and move along my friend. Nothing more need be said.

The reason I doubted you is simple. There is absolutely no way anyone.. and I mean anyone including YOU could ever in a million years prefer an HT any model more then an AXE, KEMPER HELIX HEADRUSH, POD or anything else.

And you are correct. If someone prefers totally horrible tone and that is what they like.. well.... This is why I say nothing more needs to be said and move along

Now, after all that I will STILL help you learn the AXE. Just ask..

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

15. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

My Brothers, I REALLY like all of you. Please let this end. It just wasn't right for MichaelAndrew. He has no nefarious motives

I don't want anyone to get banned.

PLEASE.

ttbit and NotScott like this.
  16. MichaelAndrew3435

This link is a discussion from nearly 9 years ago...

And once again. Preference. If I wanted to, I could find plenty of positive reviews about the headphone out on the Blackstar HT series. Just because a random guy on a forum from 2009 didn't like it doesn't mean it's inferior to anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2017
  17. MichaelAndrew3435

I did thank you. Apparently you didn't see it.

frankv likes this.
  18. MichaelAndrew3435

Bold statement. Untrue and based on your opinion.

19. frankv

Enough of this Michael. There is no reason to carry it on and on.. If you think or believe that an Blackstar HT is what you need.. Then by all means.. I wish you nothing but the best. Fair enough my friend?

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  20. MichaelAndrew3435

More attempts by you to insult me because I like a different amp, trying to get the last word in, and then saying "let's move on". Good one.