Modeling/solid state amps with great headphone outputs

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Nov 28, 2017.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I've found that, pretty much, if the amp hissed or hummed x amount, with the gate off, the model does as well (the models are that accurate). My Kemper, however, when profiling an amp removes the hum and hiss when it creates the profile.

frankv and mdubya like this.
  2. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Well GOOD FOR YOU, my tube bud, MichaelAndrew. I'm excited for you, and I hope your new acquisition does for you what you wish it to.

3. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

I think so too. It looks pretty complicated to use and looks very foreign to me but I’ll figure it out. Any good video tutorials anyone can share before it gets here would be helpful :D.

frankv likes this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Search out Cooper Carter on youtube.

mdubya likes this.
  5. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Don't be afraid, look at how quick and easy it is to get a great tone!

cybermgk and frankv like this.
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Awesome Mikey

7. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Just want to reiterate, you never have to use advanced parameters to get great tones. I literally just threw this together, Zero advanced parameters used. basic page on both the amp and the cab block. Only non stock thing I did was use an Ownhammer cab that I love!!!!

Now granted I know Mesa amps well, so I kinda know what settings work for me already. If it was an amp you have never played you would have to spend a little more time dialing it in, but you would do that with a tube amp as well.

Excuse the tuning, my wife likes to leave the window open in the room my guitar is in, and it's a getting cold out.

ttbit, mdubya and frankv like this.
  8. frankv

Keep the videos coming mikey

Pwrmac7600 likes this.
  9. MichaelAndrew3435

Watched one of his vids. Great stuff! I watched one where he was using Axe Edit. I don't believe that comes with main unit but I'll consider downloading it in the future. Now, basic question. What's the first thing I should do when this thing arrives? Go through the pre-sets and tweak them?

frankv likes this.
  10. frankv

First thing you should do ASAP is download AXE EDIT, AXE BOT and the USB Drivers. They are free on the Fractal website.http://www.fractalaudio.com/firmware-presets.php Then go to https://www.reaper.fm/ and get yourself the DAW trial software package. If you don't have a DAW program already. You will also need this. http://asio4all.com/ I promise it's easy stuff to setup.

When you get the AXE you will not need to tweak the first 100 or so presets because they will be pretty damn good. After that you can start looking at the AXE Exchange and start downloading other presets according to your interests.

Start with AXE EXIT right out of the gate. Don't try front panel adjustments other then the simple stuff until you gain more experience with the unit. AXE EXIT makes it so easy and FUN you will be hooked. This is something our Kemper friends don't have and can't experience. For me, the AXE EDIT software is a KILLER APP.

The first 20 presets I like to call CORE presets. These are the ones most guys use because they have clean Fenders, Marshalls and High Gain amp models.

You will be shocked at the studio quality effects. This is Crystal Reverb. https://app.box.com/s/qwmbvvj94pwyohm1nl0lvbf4mklrofrs It's going to blow your mind. In fact, the entire package will blow your mind.. Get ready to triple you practice time. Trust me, your playing will improve so much you will wish you had the equipment years ago.

Soon after that you will wonder why so many guys poo poo this technology.. and that will drive you nuts

These were recorded STRAIGHT into my computer. With your Focus headphone making you drool. Absolutely incredible. I did these at like 4am.. hahahaha
    https://app.box.com/s/pjfbk7pwqp7teliclwl38hjtb0ajt2yz

https://app.box.com/s/c4cp6uu41jwle0ukmdjliauqf876awve

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    cherrysunburst00, mdubya and AmpedUp like this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

When the AX8 arrived, I simply scrolled through presets until I was overwhelmed.

After a week or so, I settled into a couple of preferred presets. But I still, 8 months later, find myself scrolling to a preset and get distracted by 4 or 5 other presets, and never even make it to the original destination. :laugh2:

I immediately liked the 1959 SLP, the JTM45, and the Badger 18.

So, just have fun.

I can play just the vintage Fender variations for weeks at a time. Or, currently, I am bouncing between the Top Boost and Badger 18, depending on mood, guitar, etc. Both give differing flavors of chewy, gooey, tremolo drenched vintage British goodness. Other times I bounce between the Brown Sound model, the 1959 Plexi, and the JTM45. And that doesn't begin to scratch the surface of the Boutique amps, the modern gain models, the modern Marshalls, the Oranges, Rectifiers, etc.

Just have fun. You shouldn't need to do too much tweaking. Best advice I got was to adjust the bass (low cut) filter on the cabinets to ~120 Hz, and the Treble (high cut) filter to ~6000 Hz. These seem to be universal improvements on all models for me. One of these days I will see if there is a global edit I can do.

That said, if you are using headphones, you might not need to tweak anything.

12. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

Both ends of the specturm, this has such a dramatic effect, especially usable from lower to mid to higher volume settings. It changes for each volume level for me.

So I have a few patches each for low, mid, and high volume with about 4 of my favorite models. On the very high volume patches, I'm utilizing a high end cut down to around 5100-5200hz on some of the brighter modeled patches. It's very easy to tire your ears in a hurry if you don't cut enough, especially in the small room I'm in.

Good advice mdubya. The difference between someone thinking a modeler is a POS or not. It's one of those things that falls under "if one doesn't know any different, how does one know any better?"

mdubya, Rocco Crocco and frankv like this.
  13. frankv

Hey Michael. Wait until you hear these Focal headphones. There is a reason they cost $350 bucks brother..

mdubya and AmpedUp like this.
  14. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I thought my Helix was a POS until I started using the high and low cut. It's always the first thing that comes to my mind when I read about people struggling to get good sounds with these devices.

I start cutting at 80hz for lows, and 6k for highs, then adjust from there.

saks, mdubya, AmpedUp and 1 other person like this.
  15. frankv

I really don't have to bother with the high cut off adjustment. I have "built in" Global settings. Built in my head that is. Last time I had my hearing checked my high frequency cuts off at around 7K. hahahahahah No shit.

I have a set of hearing devices.. I prefer to call them that and not freaking hearing aids. That correct this drop off :) but I mostly prefer playing without them in.

Rocco Crocco, mdubya and AmpedUp like this.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I wouldn't have had a clue to do those if it had not been mentioned to me several times, here. :thumb:

I don't even know exactly what I am doing when I make these changes, just that it sounds better to me. :oops: I have gotten good enough at doing it that it only takes a quick moment to do, now, though. :D

Rocco Crocco and AmpedUp like this.
  17. MichaelAndrew3435

AXE EXIT is different from AXE EDIT? I downloaded EDIT and AXE BOT. What exactly is the DAW and the USB driver for?

frankv likes this.
  18. MichaelAndrew3435

They were scheduled to come today but I think there's an issue with the shipping. No worries, the AXE unit isn't supposed to be here until Thursday. I could still use them with my valve amps and my laptop until then though.

frankv likes this.
  19. frankv

USB drivers are so you can connect the AXE to your computer. AXE EDIT and AXE BOT are different. Bot is for firmware updates.

DAW is Digital Audio Work station and is for you to record your playing.. which I highly encourage you to do.

20. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Well, this thread escalated quickly!

I think you're in for a treat Michael!