Modeling/solid state amps with great headphone outputs

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Nov 28, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Hello all,

Posted this in the tube amp section, but I'd also consider something non-valve. I'm looking for an amp (with an effects loop) with a GREAT headphone output that I can hook my pedal board up to. I prefer valve but I'm open to suggestions from the modeling folk over here. I play with high gain settings 80% of the time. Combo or head will work.

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

In cases like this where you are dipping your toe so to speak. The Line 6 HD300 is a killer unit and you can configure it many different ways. Best of all it's low cost means you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work out. While not really an "amp" it will do what you want.

If money isn't a consideration there are the high end units.

lemmy loud and MichaelAndrew3435 like this.
  3. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Member

I've just bought a Boss Kantana100 to save the weight of humping a half stack round. Very good and straightforward without the compilation of digital menus etc. All just knobs to select models so quite insticive. Can selec 0.5watt/50watt or 100watt too. Plenty loud! Mines not been used beyond 50watt setting.

frankv and dissaffected like this.
  4. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Like the previous poster I have used the Katana 50 mainly. It works great and is not expensive- not that I am a huge head phone user. My son has a room full of modeler stuff but steals the Katana for weeks at a time because of its simplicity for this application. I am in the simpler is better camp and the Katana 50w satisfies this itch for me at an affordable price.

frankv likes this.
  5. MichaelAndrew3435

I haven’t made any irresponsible purchases in awhile. What are some higher end units? :)

frankv likes this.
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Well, for me and happy so far for 2 years... it's the Fractal AXE FX 2XL+

You will not look any further.

jdto likes this.
  7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Here is the rub.

The higher end units, will both take your pedals better (as in as well, or better than a tube amp), and in some cases make you also not care about your pedal board.

The Ax8 and Axe FX II both have steller fx, both dirt pedals and anything else you can think of, built-in. You can also do just about any routing you can think of. I hear Helix FX are close.

I can speak on both the Kemper Profiling Amp and Axe FX II's Headphone interface. They are better than any tube amp's I have ever had. And I have had all of the best tube amp headphone taps.

Generally speaking, modelers will have a better headphone tone. They are already working with a digital signal, with TOP of the line CAB IRs.. On tube amps, the signal has to be manipulated to digital, usually, and uses limited cab simulation. The end result usually doesn't sound like the amp.

Now, the Kemper's built-in fx are very good, but I often use a few stomps like my Tube Screamer and Klon with it. Kemper is definitely an option for you. It WILL do the high gain in spades, is pretty straight forward until you don't want to.

Of course, you could go Axe, and then sell your pedals after realizing how you don't need them any more.

But I am also going to suggest the Roland Blues Cube. No personal experience with the Headphone tap, but see above. It is supposed to be a great pedal platform. Not sure how well it can do high gain though.

frankv and MichaelAndrew3435 like this.
  8. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

The Atomic AmpliFire 3 switch unit has an dedicated headphone out jack and an mp3/aux input which occupies the effects loop returns to function. It's been said they use Owmhammer i/r's in their units which are proprietary. These units sound great through headphones or otherwise.

jdto and frankv like this.
  9. MichaelAndrew3435

Do you use headphones often with this model? Is there anything else you need to buy with it aside from FRFR speakers? I’m googling the unit now and my God it looks so foreign to me. Can I hook time based effects in the back and other pedals in the front just like a regular amp? Or is that even nessesary?

10. cybermgk

Yes and no. As I mentioned above, I have both a Kemper and an Axe FX 2 XL+. I also used to have a prodigious pedal collection (well over 30 regularly). I sold all but a few collectibles and unique use pedals after getting the Axe FX. Ir has, imho studio caliber FX and a ton of classic and modern front of amp pedals. What is more, and exceptionally cool, is you can tweak those modelled pedals to the nth degree, combine then in a bunch of ways. ERGO, you can really create your own FX, including unique dirt pedals etc.

But, it does have an FX loop, and it will take your front of amp pedals just fine.

What you would need depends on your use. In studio, just the FRFR (amplified/powered, or separate amplifier), or just Headphones. I'd recommend a laptop to run Axe Edit to avoid front panel controls.

If live, then I'd recommend a controller pedal (Either Axe's $$$ or some other midi selectors adapted for use).

11. Kitsune

Kitsune Member

For low level and headphone use I have the Yamaha THR10, one of the best small modeling amp.

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I thought the Fender Mustang sounded incredible through the headphones out. So good, I would play exclusively through headphones/earbuds for months at a time with it.

l have moved on to a Fractal AX8. It doesn't have a headphones out, but there are simple solutions. Or you can just go for the AXE FXII as Frank mentioned. The models and effects sound amazing through headphones.

FWIW-the Mustang prefered MP3 style headphone/earbuds. The AX8 far prefers studio style flat response headphones. Go figure? :dunno:

I think you will find joy in any of a dozen or so solutions: AX8/AXE FXII, Katana, Yamaha THR, BlackStar ID, Fender Mustang, Helix, Kemper, Headrush, etc.

frankv and dissaffected like this.
  13. MichaelAndrew3435

This will only be used at home, mostly with headphones until I find the right speakers. I'm intrigued by what Frank has (Axe FX) but I see different models ranging from $1500 - $2,300 on Reverb. I'm not sure what the differences are between the models and wouldn't know what to choose.

https://reverb.com/p/fractal-audio-axe-fx-ii-xl-plus

^ this for example

And this

https://reverb.com/item/6814758-fractal-audio-axefx-ii

14. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

A lot of sellers on Reverb are selling the Axe FX for more money than its sold on the Fractal website.

frankv and mdubya like this.
  15. cybermgk

Frank knows the differences on the various models, as do a few others. We both have the newest iteration the Axe FX 2 XL+.

There were prior iterations. Here is a list in order oldest to newest (and is not necessarily all inclusive).

Axe Fx
    Axe Fx Ultra
    Axe FX II
    Axe FX II Mark II
    Axe FX II XL
    Axe FX II XL+

Some differences of the later models are listed here http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...II_preamp_effects_processor#Model_differences

Links you listed, top is an Axe FX II XL+ the newest iteration, and the other is an Axe FX II (mark 1 I would wager)

MichaelAndrew3435 and frankv like this.
  16. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I love how my Kemper sounds through headphones.

mdubya and frankv like this.
  17. frankv

Yeah well Tim takes all the work out of my posts.. thanks buddy...

To be honest with you. With the sale going on right now at Fractal.. The XL+ for $1800.. Damn that's good.

You are a home player? . Most of us too are home players. It's great trading clips back and forth. You will find recording with the AXE to be ridiculously easy. I will absolutely guarantee you then when you get a Fractal product you will FLIP

jdto and mdubya like this.
  18. frankv

Yes, It use to be a common thing. Mostly because Fractal is almost always out of stock and when guys want.. They want NOW..

jdto and MichaelAndrew3435 like this.
  19. frankv

Both of these are more then New Sale price. Buy the AXE FX 2XL+ from FRactal before they go back ordered. Pro bands will buy these up at these prices.

20. frankv

Lastly.. don't forget to get a XiTone or at least an Atomic CLR. OR get a stupid expensive set of headphones.. I just grabbed a set of Focals.. WOW. Best $350 ever

jdto likes this.