Modeling in action - a guitar review

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mmd, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Used my Helix for the "amps" in this demo/review of a guitar I assembled. Plugged the Helix into my ZOOM H6 which plugged into my GoPro Hero 5 (allowing me a 6 channel mixer/audio feed for sound!). I am really glad I discovered this method of adding audio to the track. I also set my GoPro to record a separate audio wav file. When I edited the video together, I pulled the wavs and did a little post processing to them. The parts where I am talking got a slight noise reduction. The playing demos had a little compression/limiting added to keep the dynamics even.....

In the Helix I made a Twin Reverb patch and an AC30 patch. What you hear is what they are. No extra EQ or processing other than the overall comp/limit I already mentioned. I am really happy with the patches. Overall, I think the vibe is pretty right-on.

I am also gonna post this in the "Other Guitars" section. I made a post over there when I assembled this guitar.

ttbit, AmpedUp, pnuggett and 8 others like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

nice.

mmd likes this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

You must have hit your head Mark. Hahahahah. You are a metal dude.. hahahah

Great video. Keep me coming.

mmd likes this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, metal dude....

Nah, not really anymore. I have branched out!!! While I play in a hard rock band, I have been working on other styles - and have even been in two country/rock (southern rock, basically) bands. I played in a smooth jazz trio for a while in the late 90's....

I try to keep myself moving in other directions. As my arthritis increases in my left hand I don't have the articulation and speed I used to have. No more sweeping, or super fast runs. My playing has gotten a little more "melodic" in the leads, and a little more "rockabilly" in the chording and song structures.

I am really happy playing in the 80-125BPM range. Much faster and I am only effective as a rhythm guitars, lol.

Glad you dig the video!! I would do more if they weren't so time consuming!!

AmpedUp, cherrysunburst00 and frankv like this.
  5. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Nice job on the build! i have always had a soft spot for Esquires. ive been getting the itch lately to start another build , its been a couple years since my last. I have a stock pile of wood here taunting me. :)

mmd likes this.
  6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks man!

Yeah, I have always dug the Esquire, too. I was super excited when Fender released the MIM Esquire. Played a few and they were SUPER heavy - almost uncomfortable so, for me. I passed on getting them, but KNEW I wanted one to MY specs one day.

I am also a sucker for "flash". When I saw those GFS bodies with the pearloid finishes I KNEW I'd have to build a couple. Combine the Esquire with the "flash" of the pearloid body, and it was a NO brainer for me, lol!!

If you got the wood, jump in!!! I have a SWEET reclaimed wood "Barncaster" body I am considering doing another Esquire build with....but gotta do studio upgrades first!!

Rhust and AllTheSound like this.
  7. James R

James R Premium Member

Really cool guitar, I dig it a lot.
    Your patches sound great too.
    I enjoyed the video, thanks!

mmd likes this.
  8. AllTheSound

I really dig reclaimed wood for guitars , ya gotta put up a pic of that barn caster body sometime i'd love to see it.

I'm going through my inside stash now i have some more out in my shed but its raining pretty good so I'll hit that tomorrow. here is a shot of the inside stash.

[​IMG]

9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, WOW...you have REAL wood, lol!!! Sweet. You cut your own bodies?

10. AllTheSound

Yep body ,neck , frets. nut the whole shebang :) I try to do as much as i can old school, hand planes to true up the pieces to be joined , spoke shaves , rasps for carving the neck and body couture's. I cheat though and use a band saw for the rough cuts and a router for the neck pocket and pickup / control cavities ect.

Here's a link to a build i did back in 2012 . The body and neck were made from one piece of Mahogany no neck joint. :)

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/allthesounds-2012-challenge-build-thread-completed.318086/

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Rhust and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

WOW!!!! That guitar looksw awesome! I really dig the flush "pickguard". I bow to your skills, man. I wish I had the level of patience required to actually BUILD a guitar. I have tried several times in the past, and it's just not there, lol!!!

I'll snap a shot of that body later on.

AllTheSound likes this.
  12. AllTheSound

Thanks man , that one was a lil involved & took a couple months but i had a deadline on it for the build challenge. I bet you do have the patience you just don't know it yet :) I guess they key is to just work on it as you feel motivated and if it takes a year or two so be it. I tend to be a procrastinator with some things and a lil A.D.D too so sometimes it takes a while for me to finish one (last one was on my bench about a year LOL) . If you ever want to give it another go i'd be happy to walk through the process start to finish ya any time.
    Looking forward to that body shot.

frankv likes this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome!! Thanks for that offer, man!!

I pulled that body out and got all excited about it again. Here's the plan (lol):

- mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard (no inlay, or 12th fret dots only), fat neck profile, 10" radius, reverse headstock, 1 5/8" bone nut, 6105 frets
    - Black guard (possibly aged to match the body)
    - Kluson bridge like I just used - it's my favorite tele bridge. I would just have to "age" it
    - I'd like t find another vintage pickup. I like the sound of 60's Fender pickups.
    - 4-way electronics again

The body is made up of pine. It is really awesome and I think it'll look amazing when done. Below is an album with 7 pics from different angles to show the "wood".

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5rndDp

AllTheSound likes this.
  14. AllTheSound

Nice i like that! I have always dug the natural distressed look of barncasters to me they kind of embody the spirit of the tele. That is going to look great with what you listed. The aged plate looks cool on there. what did you use to age it?

mmd likes this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks, man!

I bought the plate pre-aged on ebay. I bought a bunch of rusty screws too, lol. I wish I knew how to age the parts. If I did I'd be more apt to start the project....

AllTheSound likes this.
  16. AllTheSound

Muriatic acid fumes work great for aging parts , its cheap most hardware stores carry it and works pretty quick. just pour a lil of the muriatic in the bottom of a plastic container with a lid about 1/4 inch deep put your parts in a smaller open container and place it in the acid put the lid on , wait about 30 mins check it to see how its looking , and if it needs more time check it in another 20-30 mins until you get the desired effect. rinse the parts and your pretty much done. You can rough them up a lil to get scratches and dings if that's what your going for.

frankv and mmd like this.
  17. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Ok, cool! Thanks!

18. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I DID "dig it"--your playing

That is just beyond amazing and cool. Building guitars!

mmd likes this.
  19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

OMG I love the reclaimed wood... I'm still trying to find a way to pull the trigger on one of the PRS reclaimed vela S2... but 2k for an S2 model is steep...

mmd likes this.
  20. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yeah, reclaimed wood has a cool vibe.

HAHAHAH, about the reclaimed Vela. I want one too, but REFUSE to pay MORE for a used on than they cost new. I figure I'll wait a few years and grab one then....