Modeling Guy's: The new Marshall Code

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by LPCollector, Jan 22, 2016.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I believe you will.

1 person likes this.
  2. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

You can"t compare basic Solid State amps to Digital .
    That old SS marshall in your link sounds tight like a tube amp (I have one of these ),not kind of loose like the digital mustang or what i 'm expecting from the CODE

3. LBG

LBG Senior Member

Has anyone found out when the code is coming to the US? I think a few UK stores have it but the shipping wait time is pretty long so that tells me they may NOT have it yet.

I listened to a few videos. I agree the Andertons video doesn't do it justice. Chris George got some awesome tones out of it though

I've never been so excited for a new piece of gear to come out ever!

Imo I believe that the technology nowadays is now finally able to make really decent sounding modelers that really do have organic tones for lack of a better word.

I've owned older modelers like the POD 2.0 and a Dogitech GNX3000 and I've also tried software like Guitar Rig 4 and 5, Amplitube 2 and 3,Pod Farm, and Peavey Revalver.

What I noticed about a lot of modelers is they actually have their OWN tone. For instance my GNX3000 always sounded like a GNX3000 No matter what preset or setting I made on it. Yes it would sound different on each preset but it would still have this same basic flavor to the tone just EQ'd different which different gain levels. Nothing really sounded like what it was trying to sound like.

The POD 2.0 was not as bad about this but it's tone as a whole was still solid state fizzy sounding. However for how old it was and what it was. It sounded okay. I always considered it a pedal with its own set of tones. The POD sounds like a POD but that doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing.

Also for the record my POD 2.0 is the original with Line 6's older logo on it. I've been told they sound better and heck it was 60 bucks used with AC adapter.

As for the amp software I've used, Amplitube has a weird compressed "fake" overtone to it I can't quite explain but it's there. And it makes all the models sound the same just with different EQ and gain levels. The only one that sounds different significantly was the Randall Warhead model they do.

Peavey Revalver is actually surprisingly pleasant sounding though to me. I haven't used it in a while but I was impressed with the tones and customization you can do.

But the best one I've ever come across was Guitar Rig 5. It is the only software I've used that doesn't have this distinct tone that sounds the same in all the models. I'm not gonna say they sound exactly like what they're modeling, but they do sound friggin awesome. GR5 sounds so good in fact I've made scratch guitar tracks in songs I've worked on and the tone was so good I kept either the track or the model instead of miking an amp.

Besides, in the end, as long as it doesn't sound like a battery operated AM radio, music listeners don't know and don't care about your tone. Thats the cold hard truth. That don't mean you shouldn't though mind you. Guitar gear buying and drooling over is fun! So by all means. Buy that $3000 Plexi clone! If it makes you happy have at it. It just so happens playing around with modelers and amp software makes me happy.

IF you can find a decent modeler that doesn't sound one dimensional, recording with them and tweaking the sounds and effects is so much fun. No they don't sound exactly like a tube amp. Still sounds cool.

Rant Over

Where was I? OH! Yeah man when I heard how good the Code sounded I was blown away. I LOVED Doug Aldrich's JMD demo he did. The JMD was very impressive sounding for a modeler amp. Too bad it costed so much and didn't sell well.

Makes sense though Marshall used the same software manufacturer that worked on the JMD to design the Code. So this will basically be an affordable JMD minus tubes.

And did I mention it sounds amazing? Because it does.

4. frankv

Did my post compare anything? Show me...

The comment was about Marshalls ability to make solid state amps. Yes, the CODE is a Solid State amp. Yes Marshall knows how to make them.

5. frankv

Have you tried Bias by Positive Grid. The more I dive into modelers the more I realize that a high quality laptop and killer software is as good or better then dedicated boxes. A laptop running Bias plugged into an active monitor setup will be awesome and way more flexible.

6. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Senior Member

I just spoke with my Sweetwater rep yesterday. He's been very accurate in the past and said they're expecting to start shipping them in July.

1 person likes this.
  7. LBG

LBG Senior Member

Believe it or not I have not tried that one but I've heard a lot of Youtube guys say its the hot ticket in amp software. I'll give it a go at some point probably

1 person likes this.
  8. frankv

Yeah. As I have said in other posts, I'm picking up a Panasonic tough book for this task. I can see this being a great option. Imagine throwing a laptop and 1 12 active monitor in the trunk and go.. I'm quite excited over it. Especially because of the low price point.

9. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

seems like a cool amp. Don't think I've heard of it so thanks MLP for pointing it out.

not sure why people sh*t on the Mustang, it's a great bedroom/practice amp. Should I write and practice through my 2x12 at 50w's? :facepalm:

The Marshall Code with the 10" speaker seems like a neat amp for practicing and writing.

it's the first modeler besides the Mustang that's gotten my attention.

I like the little amps for practicing at home. Already have the monster rig for gigs.

seems there's a lot of little 1w/5w/10w/15w amps being made these days.

SS and Tubes as well as Modelers.

..even Ibanez has that little Tube Screamer head with ext Cab.

neat times to like gear, lot's of neat stuff out there and on the horizon.

2 people like this.
  10. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

July was the prediction for the 25 & 50, but sweetwater called me the other day and said early June. That would be nice!

100W head in September

11. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

GC is showing the 50w - "Available 05-21-2016"

12. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

I've laughed hard when I read the beginning of this thread. Guys, the SS is just at its beginning and 20 years from now people will laugh at tube amps. What you love about tube amps will be even better on SS at a time. I say that and I own both kinds of amps. It's just like when people thought a computer would never defeat a chess player. Or a go player. Just a question of time. Self teaching IAs, quantum computers, we have so many possible evolutions that could make the current technology colpletely retard compared to the future. While tube amps technologies are already frozen and won't really evolve.

I could buy the Marshall code if the sound is reasonably convincing as a Marshall sound. Not a lot of amps today except a Marshall tube amp can nail that classic sound. The 50w seems good, spec wise and price wise.

1 person likes this.
  13. frankv

The whole debate of Tube amps VS SS or modelers is a retarded one when you consider what the job of any amplification method is.. To produce sounds and tones that are pleasing to the listener. I would argue that given a good tune and a good player, none of this matters.

For me, modelers and SS amps have not ever been about the ultimate tone competition between them and tube amps. For me it has always been about the flexibility I am afforded by having so many various tones and effects to choose from.

This is the reason I often call Tube Amps boring, antiquated, one dimensional, and antiques. It has NEVER been about the one or two tones a particular tube amps brings to the table. Those tones are often but not always excellent and wonderful to play.. For me, it has always been about getting more from what I love to do.. Which is play guitar and write music I could easily record and develop... and for that, there is no tube amp made that can give me that.

The other MAJOR issue for me is the fact that in order to get the most out of the antique technology called Tube Amps one must get that volume up loud. The volume must be to a point where the so called benefit of a tube comes into play.. That is tube saturation. The funny part of all this is you have guys arguing that tube amps sound better and NEVER have gotten the tubes in their amps up into the range where they have some received advantage. Because the basic production of sound from a transistor or tube is the same at lower then saturation levels.

I struggled with all kinds of tube amps.. I couldn't get them to sound the way I wanted at the volumes I wanted unless I threw a $1000 attenuator at it.. and then there was tone robbed from the amp. So what was the point? There was none..

I have also said that if you are a gigging player playing one type of music at loud levels.. and want a simpler approach.. Use a tube amp.

4 people like this.
  14. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

What you've said is so true...and the part I quoted even more ! People by extremly loud amp, play them at volume 1 and put pedals in front of that.

I totally agree with you, both kinds of amps have their advantages and they are just tools, you choose the one you needs. That's why I own both kind.

If this little Marshall code can produce 95% or even 90% of the Marshall sound, at whisper volume, on a headphones, or at loud volume (gig) then why not consider it ?
    The biggest problem to me here is pre conceived ideas, people who never tried one seriously (it takes several hours because the settings are quite different than the amp we use to play with) are already complaining about it.
    It always amazes me how people in the wonderful world of guitar live in the past and think there is only one approach : the 50s.

2 people like this.
  15. frankv

I love every member here because they all share a common interest. All are friends even when we fight over opinions. What I don't like is opinions being thrown around by die hards on either side touting the merits of one over the other with absolutely zero experience other then a few you tube videos. That is totally dishonest and easy to see through.

I would expect that if someone wants to say the latest crop of modelers suck, they should at least have owned one. Otherwise keep your mouth shut and listen to those that do have direct eexperience.

1 person likes this.