Modeling Guy's: The new Marshall Code

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by LPCollector, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I use to be anti modeling but I believe it's going to be the future. I may get one if the price is right and the review are good.

In my opinion some of these new modeling amps sound pretty damn good, I doubt people could tell the difference from a tube amp.

3 people like this.
  2. Louie

Louie Senior Member

Jesus was scared of flying, he stayed in Mexico. With the rest of the LSD :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  3. mbell75

mbell75 Senior Member

Now this sounds much better than the first demos I saw. There is another one with the same rep without it mic'd and that sounded good too. This might actually end up being better than your average budget modeling amp. We will see.

2 people like this.
  4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

That BASTID!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

6. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

CODE sounds good, does it go to 11.0 ? :hmm:

2 people like this.
  7. Pal

Pal Senior Member

Oh no, say it ain't so. I am more of an overdrive guy so for me the original Jube is my favorite Marshall.

8. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Everyone likes what they like. But you infer that they "suck" because you had one that you didn't like. I've had my 2555 for 29 years and I have serviced it myself the entire time so I know that amp from input to output very well. So I am really confident when I say that like all Marshall's, they varied from one to the next. The major factor is always the speaker cab. Not just v30s, but good v30s are a must. The other factor is most were biased too cold so with a tube swap they often can't be brought to even 60% dissipation without changing the bias resistor. They also don't sound like plexis... Until you crank the clean channel.

Not trying or needing to sell jubilees here. Just clearing up some bs for those who are actually interested.

4 people like this.
  9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

You are correct. Everyone likes what they like. The Jub seems to have a love hate relationship with many Marshall lovers. Not just me.. You like it.. I don't... Really nothing more then that right? For me it sucked.. for you it's love..

I know about setting the bias. I have fixed many a Marshall and know the circuit pretty well. At the time I was using a 1960ax with greenbacks.

Regarding your comment about Marshalls, and in fact tube amps in general being different from one of the same model to the next.. Correct. I have learned that well after 50 of them.. This is one of the reasons I don't bother with tubes anymore and favor high end modelers like Fractal, Kemper and Helix. I do not want to be locked into one type of tone. It's boring.. Again, my opinion and clearly those that love tube amps have a problem with me saying the things I say.. That's understandable and I can fully relate because I was a tube amp junkie. More so then many on this site. .. It is however a fact that more and more pro and semi pro players alike are switching and have switched. There are so many reasons for this. I have written about it all over a few threads if you are so inclined to read the posts. I won't rehash it here.

10. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

It makes me a little nervous that it is slated as the MG replacement.
    I would hope in real life that it really is as many notches above the MG as it sounds like it is claimed to be.

1 person likes this.
  11. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

For studio I absolutely think modelling is the future. The last time I recorded with a band in 2013 I plugged straight into the board for my backup rhythm tracks, and it sounded just as good as my recorded tracks from the amp. The engineer ran it through a JCM800 model on Pro-Tools.

Live gigs, however, I'm not as sold on. But maybe that's just because I haven't heard it done (well) yet.

1 person likes this.
  12. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Ironwaso just switched from his JCM2000 with Voodoo mods to a Fractal AXE FX2. He just finished is first band practice with it. Here is his review.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squawk-box/358019-nad-review-clips.html#post7493071

2 people like this.
  13. frankv

Yep.. This is why modelers from the major amp makers are not widely accepted. You usually see cheaply made horribly sounding amps. Usually marketed to the beginner player.. As stated.. it's not because Marshall can't make a great SS amp. It is strickly because they don't want to hurt sales of their flagship models.. They will ride that out until there is no more riding.. and that day is upon us..

Technology for great sounding modeling amps has been around for a long long time. Here is a 20 year old modeling amp that was absolute killer. It has 100 preset storage and was built like a tank.

I was sorry I sold mine. I should have kept this one.

http://www.guitariste.com/produit/photos/3647-7365a-big.jpg

14. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

I thought this too. But then I found out AFTER 2 shows last year that Blind Guardian and Saxon used them. Had no idea. Sounded like they always do!

2 people like this.
  15. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I'm the happy new owner of a SS Orange CR120H, and came from only having tube amps since around 1991. So yeah, I'm all on board with trying new tech.

The CR120 sounds killer, btw. Great amp design.

2 people like this.
  16. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

It goes to 12.0! :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  17. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

This is the exact experiment I'm working on just now. It seems that although it's not cheap getting the full DSP experience on stage, it possibly has some advantages over the setups that I am used to. It will probably take me the next 2 months to put my new live modeling rig together, but I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I have tried it.

Liam

1 person likes this.
  18. mbell75

mbell75 Senior Member

I had to look this up on their gear vids on YouTube. It's kind of true. BG are using the FX II for their effects but still using Mesa Boogie amps. Same with Saxon, using the FX for effects but still using JVMs. Seems most these guys are using the FX II rather than pedals but still using tube amps with them. Not sure of any popular, well known artists using modeling exclusively live but I think SS amps or some type of digital could take over in the future. Just as digital has overtaken film in the photography world and few thought that would happen even 10 years ago.

19. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

http://youtu.be/lS1d-QBxoEs

2:20 for the Axe and 8:58 for Kemper

Saxon uses the JVM for power amp section only, see 1:13 http://youtu.be/Es2wvZgbBtU

20. mbell75

mbell75 Senior Member

Thanks. Right, their still using them with tube amps as I said. I guess Marcus plays some shows with just the FX, interesting.

"As of 2010, his main rack consisted of a 3-channel Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier "Recto Reborn" head, with a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II providing effects. He uses 2 Sennheiser wireless units, one as a backup, and his old 2-channel Rectifier as a backup. When doing overseas shows, he solely uses an Axe-FX II."