Modeling Guy's: The new Marshall Code

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by LPCollector, Jan 22, 2016.

1. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

Just released, the new Marshall CODE.

Sounds pretty decent:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YspNywjPbK8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YspNywjPbK8[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8woSKbS16_o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8woSKbS16_o[/ame]

7 people like this.
  2. Louie

Louie Senior Member

Based on Marshall and Softube's previous collaboration, the JMD:1 series, I'm sure this one too will be a great product with little commercial success.

I'm a little disappointed with the lack of a KT66 power amp model, however this is a fully digital modeller and I'm sure a future firmware update can remedy that.

Most likely I'll buy one.

3 people like this.
  3. mbell75

mbell75 Senior Member

Sounds flat, weak and tiny like just about every other digital modeling amp. 12 year old bedroom players should be excited though.

1 person likes this.
  4. bryvincent

bryvincent Senior Member

would be interesting if priced like the fender mustangs

5. troyvod

troyvod Member

a few sounds seem ok, a lot do nothing for me. I'd be curious though if reasonably priced, being in Australia there is no chance of that

6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Now that's ths spirit I like.... Make a provocative statement like this an sit back and see what happens...

This was Marshalls SS offerings in the 80s.. I am quite sure they know what they are doing in 2016

I love posting this video.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5IaYOvmjQ[/ame]

12 people like this.
  7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

CODE25 1 x 10" combo £169
    CODE50 1 x 12" combo £229
    CODE100 2x12" combo £349
    CODE100H head £289

pretty close!

still though.....

1 person likes this.
  8. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

As much as I have enjoyed my Blackstar ID, this doesn't freak me out. Modelling amps seamed to have really up'd there game in the past year. I hope this turns out really well.

9. LPV

LPV Senior Member

"Programmable footcontroller (sold separately)"

Why not just have it controllable by any generic midi foot controller ?

10. Iron Broadsword

Iron Broadsword Senior Member

An SLP blows it out of the water. Having said that though, it does sound great and I've been saying for years that SS through decent speakers is lightyears better than through the speakers that normally get packaged with them, and I often advise kids I teach that it's a cheap way to upgrade their ss amp to something that sounds more like what they're looking for. For the price of a lead 12 and a greenback I can't argue it's usefulness.

Anyways, the new code series seems interesting. I was saying on the other forum that the first demo vids sounded great, and that I'm looking forward to playing one in person. Although thus far the only digital I've heard that I've liked enough to consider using was the kemper, but I've only heard a couple of profiles I liked and way more terrible ones. And I personally hate futzing around with settings so I really don't see digital ever being for me, but I'm prepared the give the CODE a solid go just because it seems like there's less to screw around with. I want plug n play! I'm an old fart in a 35yr old's body. :laugh2:

Anyways, I am glad marshall has made this because it's a great replacement for the MG, and it will make sure they have positive cash flow so they can keep making tube amps for me. :) :) :)

2 people like this.
  11. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

You usually can, but the controllers built for the unit are usually designed more around that specific product as far as layout and special features. But usually any midi for controller will work as long as they give you midi connections and not specialty connectors only.

12. frankv

Come now Iron. Your kidding comparing a $2500 amp to a $50 one? :hmm: The point is and was this.. If Marshall wanted to make a KILLA Soild State amp they could. Will they? Only when the time comes.. and it's coming, when old guys like you and me die off or stop buying their tube amps.

1 person likes this.
  13. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

So you actually had your hands on one? If not, you have ZERO idea how it sounds.

*shrugs*

Being uninformed AND closed minded about this makes you a fairly unreliable source for opinions about it. Not trying to offend, just speaking my opinion.

9 people like this.
  14. Iron Broadsword

Iron Broadsword Senior Member

@frankv - Respectfully, I don't agree, I think SS has its limits and we've reached it a long while back. Digital will get there, but it needs to do all the work for the user before I'd consider using it. Needs to be as good as an amp, with zero futzing with settings, or I've no use for it.

3 people like this.
  15. frankv

Well of course Iron.. We can respectfully disagree.... and we will

1 person likes this.
  16. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Wow. I heard the exact opposite. One of us needs our ears checked.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I like the first video in the OP. The perfect amount of talking and playing. Although the lefty playing the Les Paul has a bad tattoo :)laugh2:), both he and the strat player did a pretty good job of quickly demonstrating the tones, which were all FACTORY presets. Each of those can be quickly tweaked (and probably improved) within a couple minutes.

I am not in the market, but if I was I would check it out. I hope it's a success. I like modeling combo amps and more competition means an improved product over time. I think these will just keep getting better and better.

2 people like this.
  18. frankv

Here's the deal Rocco and I know you already know this.. If anyone thinks for a second that Marshall wants to bring out a Solid State amp to complete with their tube amps.. You can forget it. It won't happen until the sale of their flagship high dollar amps stop selling. Then you will see what is capable from Marshall in this category.

Understand this.. and I have been reading this in a few places now.. Guys say the technology isn't quite there yet.. You guys must really be throwbacks from the 50's If you think for one second that electronics technology in 2016 can't produce from electronic components the tone of a 50's tube.. Well, what can I say besides keep thinking that..

In the day of MRI machines, rockets to mars, rovers crawling on the surfaces of other planets and the Hubble telescope looking out millions of light years and taking photos of it.. Well you must be quite proud of your tube amps.. I can say that.

Compaines look out at the landscape.. With incredible devices like Fractal. Line 6 Helix and Kemper already stiring the pot AND taking away sales and major artists from the traditional amp makers. You will see the shift come quite quickly now. Blackstar already is doing it and now Marshall. Not to mention Fender and a slew of other makers

It's interesting to see Marshall come out with a 100 watt version of this new product. No longer a bedroom practice amp. That 100 watt head is the first step. Watch what happens.

5 people like this.
  19. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

I apologize.

I didn't see that there was already a thread regarding this.

My bad...........

1 person likes this.
  20. Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle Senior Member

Doug Aldrich plays with a Marshall JMD:1. He says he prefers leaving hit JTM45 at home. It needs to much maintenance on the road. Maybe if all the tube amp snob get the stick out of their arse and had an open mind they would see that digital modelling as come a long long way. Btw, the JMD:1 had 2 EL34 tube in it. I think this Marshall Code doesn't. I'm interested to see how it sounds in person. Not some compress YT sound.

1 person likes this.