Modeling Amps...

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Tenacious T, May 10, 2009.

1. Tenacious T

Tenacious T Senior Member

OK...I really just love modeling amps. I like alot of bells & whistles to mess with but there are just so many options, which is the recommended modeler?

I already have a tube amp...want to add an effects filled beast to the collection.

Suggestions? Thanks!

2. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

Its not an amp but the Boss GT10 multi effects processor is a total blast,lots and lots of fun stuff in their to do and it sounds much better through a real tube amp.Built like a tank and the lights on it are bright.

3. Tenacious T

Tenacious T Senior Member

Duly noted. Thanks!

4. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

The G-DEC and Line 6 are tons of fun but the speakers sound like ass. Hooked up to my JBL D-140 isn't too bad, headphones on these are the best for stereo effects.

5. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

Most modeling amps these days are just fizz boxes iced with a can of bees. They have tiny processors and have no response akin to the amps they model.

Do you really want a modeler / sim that plays and sounds like the real meal deal?

Welcome - Fractal Audio Systems / Atomic Amplifiers

I'm playing a FX Standard. It makes every other modeler I've ever played sound like pure garbage. It truly is THAT good.

Downside - expensive.

6. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Yep; stock speakers kind of suck on some of 'em. Run a line out into a PA, and the sound comes alive!
    Now, my Line 6 Spider II 112 75-watter has a Celestion in it, so it sounds pretty good by itself.

7. River

River Senior Member

8. jon_c

jon_c Senior Member

The new Valvetronix VT series certainly have a lot of bells and whistles. 22 Amp models (each with 3 presets), 8 memory banks, tons of effects and an attenuator. I've got a VT15 and it sounds decent, but I spend too much trying all the settings which interupts my practice. One of the reasons I'm selling mine and getting something simpler.

9. River

River Senior Member

That's definitely a problem for some of us! I downloaded some presets for my POD XT at the recommendation of B-squared. They are just what I was looking for and I swore off experimenting on my own. It was starting to seem like tweaking and trying were all I was doing.

10. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

+1 on the G-DEC. It's a great practice tool and a lot of fun.

11. knievel

knievel Senior Member

I love the G-Dec.