Modeling Amp Shootout?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by JonMan94, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I agree... I used the heck out of my buddy's mustang when he left it over here for a couple weeks to see "what I thought"

what I thought was this... "you might not get it back, dude" I kept it hooked up to my computer non-stop... and enjoyed it a lot...

I liked the orange and 60s thrift models a LOT... I thought it sucked that you can only get to it with fuse..

2. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

I think this is it...

http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_III-IV-V_Preset_List.pdf

I know british 60's is a Vox,..it sounds like my Pathfinder
    I think british 70's-80's are Marshall
    American 90's is Mesa
    Metal 2000 I think is the peavey 5150 (or something similar)

I'm not 100% positive, that's just what my ears sorta hear.

3. Ddavid

Ddavid Senior Member

Thanks! I've seen a version of that and some presets are self explanetory while others are a bit vague. I have a Pod and they have models that are specific to a song or a band, eg AC/DC, Breakin' The Law, or Streets Have No Name. I was wondering if there is a similar list for the 100 Fender presets.

What I usually do is take a basic amp model and tweak that as if I were using that actual amp...

4. AxeBuilder

AxeBuilder Senior Member

I'm with KenG: I wouldn't pick any of the choices presented here. I've owned several Fender modeling amps, as well as Line 6 POD HD500, Eleven Rack, Axe FX, Kemper, Marshall JMD, and a few PC based ones (Guitar Rig, Waves GTR).

The POD HD500 is superior to the ones listed here. The Marshall JMD1 is phenomenal, but nobody comes close to the Kemper and Axe FX. Yes, you get what you pay for.

Having said that, for recording purposes Guitar Rig and GTR are better than a miked Mustang.......

5. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

I actually play at home trough my Mustang II more than other amps because I can get a better 'louder amp' sound from it at very low volumes. Keeps the noise complaints down as I live in an apartment. Even my 5E3 and Princeton Reverb are way too loud at vol. 4 for some overly anal neighbors.

I use a couple settings that I customized around the Deluxe Reverb and Tweed Bassman models. Only thing is they actually sound better at lower volumes than at higher ones...so really this is a practice amp with a lot of modeling...of which I only use a little but it was around $200, so altogether a good deal.

1 person likes this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

You don't know what you are missing. :laugh2:

You would be soooo impressed. :lol:

7. PJV

PJV Banned

Ugg. I have never found a modeling amp that sounded good, or that was worth all the time it takes to dial them in.

I like a simple, low watt tube amp.

8. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain Senior Member

I don't use my Vypyr 60 now days. I could never stop playing with it, tweaking this and that ect... Don't get me wrong it's a fun thing to have but my HT-5 through a 212 cab sounds much better and no tweaking. It's just there and sounds great especially with my Tribute Plus.

9. KenG

KenG Senior Member

One thing I appreciate with modelling is the guitar can be made to sound so different. I have some settings where my LPs sound like single coil Fenders. Very cool. I've said it before & I'll say it again, not for everybody but if you like more than 2 sounds out of your amp the ability to sound like a Vox, a Marshall, a Fender, a Soldano etc etc is very satisfying. I try not to get too into playing with it, it'll take time but there's plenty of time to go for different tones as I feel I want them and really no limit to how many can be saved.

10. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

1957 Fender Champ
    1957 Fender Deluxe
    1957 Fender Twin
    1959 Fender Bassman Reissue (4x10)
    1965 Fender Princeton Reverb
    1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb
    1965 Fender Twin Reverb
    Fender Super-Sonic (burn channel)
    [60's Thrift] 1965 Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve
    [British Colour] Orange OR50
    [British Watts] Hiwatt DR103
    [British '60s] VOX AC30
    [British '70s] Marshall 1959SLP
    [British '80s] Marshall JCM800
    [American 90s] Mesa Dual-Rectifier
    [Metal 2000] Peavey 5150

And let's not forget the brand-new Studio Preamp model that actually doesn't model anything. It lets you use the Mustang amplifier as a DRI for your computer.

As for the FUSE community, try looking for "ENGL Powerball II." I love this one myself.

3 people like this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Nothing wrong with that. The last few days I have played my Champ with my old Maestro Fuzz in front and my Champion 600 with my Zvex Distortron in front. I love both of those configurations and they sounds great (for budget 5 watt amps).

I turned off the effects and cranked the gain. I love it. :thumb: Saved it to my green bank.

ETA: I modified the stock orange bank model and saved that to the green bank. Still sounds great. :lol:

Perfect for Al Green's Love and Happiness and for my version of People Get Ready. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. buzzby

buzzby Junior Member

i have a behringer v-amper-112 great amp with any sound i like, 60 watt mono and with an extra speaker and can push 120 watt sounds great with my epiphone les paul

Attached Files: