Modeling Amp Shootout?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by JonMan94, Jan 15, 2013.

1. pwhite

pwhite Senior Member

I have had a Vt30 Vox for about 3 years now, and I play it more than anything else, I can't say it's the best sounding amp I have ever heard but it's cool to keep in the living room for practice. Most of the time I can play it with my wife watching tv or on the phone and it still has a decent sound about it. I like the fact that it's small and light, I can put it into a closet when we have company and drag it back out when they are gone. There are some cool models and for me the stacking of effects isn't an issue because most of the time I have the effects off anyway. I think to make it sound really good you have to put some volume on the output tube to really get that tube overdrive sound but you really need to do that on most tube amps as well. One thing I have tried and don't like is using headphone with it because it pulls from the pre-amp section of the amp and bypasses the tube(sounds like shit). I would like to try one of the Mustangs to compare it, I think I would end up switching. I have thought about converting my VT30 to a head and using it with a 2x12 but that would defeat the small package convience of it.

2. Michel347

Michel347 Senior Member

I like what I can get out of my Roland Cube 40XL, lots of good tones for the price.

3. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

Michael,

Do you use the 40XL for practice or in a band situation......or both?

Classicplayer

4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

on the ones listed, the mustang is my favorite. I ditched my vypyr, and still want to replace it with a mustang 2 or 3

5. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a stunningly useful practice amp. It sounds quite good, has usable effects, a rhythm generator and everything from a Fender Twin through a Marshall to a Mesa Boogie Rectifier with reasonable simulations considering the tiny speakers. It runs mains powered or for 13 hours on 6 AA batteries. I've used its line out to record with to great effect and it's my last thing before bed amp of choice. I also own a Mesa Boogie Mark V.

6. zslane

zslane Senior Member

I have a Micro Cube (not the RX) and it is indeed a nice little box. But like all tiny solid state amps, it does not hold up well as the volume increases. But then nobody should really be expecting it to. These little boxes are designed to operate in a low volume setting, and in that setting they are quite useful.

Of course, at such low volumes, you can get the same quality sound, if not better, and a lot more flexibility with an iPad and Peavey's AmpKit+ or Line 6's mobilePOD, especially if you have a nice little speaker system for your iDevice already. The options available to apartment dwellers are impressive these days.

1 person likes this.
  7. Guitar Stu

Guitar Stu Junior Member

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in as I recently bought the brand new Blackstar ID60 which is a little different in that it models different tube types. Not without its drawbacks in no effects loop and software troubles when connecting to PC but worth checking out as I think it sounds great. Havn't played the other amps so I can't compare.

1 person likes this.
  8. Michel347

Michel347 Senior Member

Both, but not playing Clubs anymore, just with friends in basement or garage.

9. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

Interesting. I was not aware of that model by Blackstar...might consider it at some time in the future. Pretty happy with my Mustang III right now.

10. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I can't imagine a better home practice amp than my Mustang 2. When I want to play for a few minutes, or a half hour I turn it on and don't have to worry about tubes getting over-worked (constant on and off many times during the day),other maint, caps, or other problems that long-term take their toll on my tube amps. Transister amps have their advantages too, and to be honest, on very low volumes (which is predominantly what I play at), I can't tell the difference between a decent amp simulator, and a tube amp. Mustang does a lot on low volumes very well. Mine has served me well every day, several times a day, for over a year so-far.

40 watts (Mustang 2) is also sufficient wattage to jam with a few friends. It's certainly a good bang for the buck amp.

3 people like this.
  11. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

You've hit on exactly why I always have an ss amp right here next to my computer at home....I tend to play for literally minutes at a time about 20 times a day. Just the way I am...I am busy and stop for a few seconds here and there...or an idea pops into my head and I want to play it immediately. I'm often done before a tube amp even warms up, and no need to kill a tube amp.

2 people like this.
  12. JonMan94

JonMan94 Senior Member

I now have the Mustang IV and damn... it kills. that's all I got to say about it.

13. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I haven't tried the Mustang line, but I've been thinking about Mustang I. I've become a fan of the really small practice amps. I have used the Micro Cube for over 6 years and will play it until either I cannot play any longer, or it expires. I use a Roland Cube 20X. It is more of a challenge than the Micro Cube, but still puts out some sounds. As good as all the current models are, they will only get better in the future.

Classicplayer

14. coopfan

coopfan Junior Member

I also have a Blackstar ID60, this thing rocks

15. kultschar

kultschar Member

My Kemper is in the post, post like yours make me feel better :)

I have many outboard FX hence more interested in the amp side (hence no interest in the AxeFX)

16. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I'd pass on your choices. While they're all fine they represent entry level modelling for the most part including power amps & speakers in the price you pay. Depending on budget you can step up to the HD series by Line 6, the Kemper, the Eleven Rack or go nuts and go for Fractal Audio stuff. All will require a power amp and speakers in addition to the modeller itself which will add to the bottom line but...
    My buddy was over yesterday, he's got a MesaBoogie, an original 5E3 Fender and has ordered a well know kit to replicate the 5E3. I showed him my POD and plugged in my R7 and let him give it a whirl through my powered studio montiors. Once he realized the models repsond to dynamics (picking levels as well as voume control) and heard the multitude of tones and effects he was so impressed he wants one. This from a die-hard tube amp guy (like I used to be). While the HD series is only a few hundred dollars more than the amps you've mentioned you have to remember that the money is all spent on the modelling and effects. You don't get an amp or speakers so by the time you buy something decent to go with it, it's easy to hit $1 or more to get properly set up.

1 person likes this.
  17. rapaul76

rapaul76 Senior Member

I run a Mustang Floor into channel 1 on a Fender Super Champ XD. The floor gives you a ton of flexibility. Running into a tube amp really warms up the sound. I still want a Marshall though! :dude:

1 person likes this.
  18. 50WPLEXI

50WPLEXI Senior Member

My friend has the Mustang. When talking about the amp he says this "Man I love that thing, but I can't really get a good sound out of it"

He goes on to say, "Most of the settings suck, like for hardcore stuff" Now after 2 months of having it he's still screwing with the settings.

That either tells me he bought the wrong amp (for him) or it just sounds like every modeler I've ever heard.

He's amazed that the only knobs I adjust on my Marshall's are the volumes. Modeling amps are not for everyone (myself included) But on a budget they can work for some people.

That's the beauty of having a choice!

19. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

For home practice i recently had the vypyr VIP 3 and took it back after 3 days.
    Then got the digitech RP 500 to try with a power amp or other.
    took that back and wound up with a mustang III v2.
    of the three the mustang III for $300 was hands down the best sounding and most user friendly. best bang for the buck.
    That vypyr was really fizzy and limited. the RP-500 had a comb filter like tone i could not get out that i hated that and the mustang III does not really shine in higher gains but i am using the built in Tube screamer as a front boost into a marshall model and it is enough gain and sounds much better than those other two.

20. Malikon

Malikon Skree-ONK! V.I.P. Member

Personally I prefer (and own) a Mustang I.

Great practice/home amp. And it actually breaks up or cleans up depending on your pick attack (and the model chosen.)

I've not heard another modeling amp do that. Be "sensitive" the way tubes can be.

Does it sound just like a tube amp? No.

Can it clean up and be 'worked' sorta like a tube amp? Yes.

...that impresses the hell out of me.

(and the 65 Fender model is the bees-knees)

1 person likes this.