Modeling Amp Shootout?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by JonMan94, Jan 15, 2013.

1. JonMan94

JonMan94 Senior Member

Okay, if you have the choice between these modeling amps, which one would you get?

Fender Mustang (SS)

Line 6 Spiders (SS at lower $$, Hybrids at higher $$)

Vox Valvetronix (Hybrid)

Pevey Vypyr (SS, Hybrid)

:slash: I'm already deep in love with mine...

[​IMG]

2. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

5 people like this.
  3. PakWaan

PakWaan Senior Member

I love my Mustang III. Had a Line 6 Spyder for a week, took it back. Can't comment on the other ones.

Of course, if you really want to compare modelers, there are a few missing from your list. Like the AXE-FX, Eleven Rack, POD HD500...... But I think we just did that thread a couple weeks ago ;)

4. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

I have the Vox. The vt30, so it was from a couple years ago. I like it. It does everything I expect it to do.

5. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

Tubes or silence

9 people like this.
  6. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Senior Member

How good are the Mustang IIIs handling "marshally" sounds? I don´t need any really high gain stuff. What do you guys think would be a better purchase? Mustang III amp or the Floor?

7. River

River Senior Member

My Eleven Rack through the power section of my 50-watt Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb will kick any of those choice's asses.

So I can't vote in the poll you didn't post.

PS: There's a hair thingee on the floor in front of your amp. Do you have a girlfriend? :shock:

6 people like this.
  8. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

Judge for yourself.

Preset #96 (modified) - Marshall 1959SLP / 4x12G Greenbacks
    Guitar: Gibson SG Special Faded (490T)
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/ffxihealer/backinblackmix[/SC]
    Yes, I know I need A LOT of work on that...but I just got an AC/DC book with a bunch of tabs in it with this song. I'll fix it. Just give me time.

Preset #97 (modified) - Marshall JCM800 / 4x12M G12T-75
    Guitar: Hagstrom Ultra-Swede
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/ffxihealer/donnasmix[/SC]

Tracks recorded with a Fender Mustang V half-stack with the V412 4x12 Celestion Rocket 50 speaker cabinet. Microphone is a center-mic'd Shure SM-57 Dynamic Microphone into a Peavey PV-6 USB Mixer into Reaper x64 to do the mix.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. River

River Senior Member

Links no work.

10. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

That's because I'm sitting here editing and re-editing trying to get the cool little SoundCloud widget thing to work right and it's f***ing with me right now....

EDIT 1: Fixed the direct links, but it still won't let me hear the post's SC widget.

1 person likes this.
  11. entresz

entresz Senior Member

I really like the fender mustang series. Great value amps that sound good at all volumes, and are capable of almost any sound. I have a Roland Cube 30 which is surprisingly good too for a little 10'' combo (I swapped the shitty stock speaker with an Eminence Delta Demon and it screams now).

1 person likes this.
  12. gibso

gibso Senior Member

Not on your list but I really like the yamaha thr series of modellers. Great amps for the cash with very decent tones.

Have an old tonelab (desktop version) which is also great. But the yamaha pips it for me!

13. gibso

gibso Senior Member

Whoops, double post. Sorry!

14. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain Senior Member

I have Vypyr tube 60 and it's a good amp, just not a great amp I find. It got some nice toys and lots of sound with multiple effects. It's damn loud and I find some settings need some volume to sound good. In my situation it's a bit loud for a bedroom amp. Because of this I'm getting a Blackstar 5 watt as I can use that more often and use the vypyr from time to time. The JSX modelling on the 60 is a 212 cab through the 12 in and I wish all the modellings used it as it's nice and fat. But the amp does have a 16 ohm extension.

Two issues I have with my vypyr is it's moody and will shut off for no reason from time to time, also the amp doesn't have a voice of it's own so you channel swap a lot till you find a sound that works for you.

15. mikethebumperman

mikethebumperman Senior Member

Jon, I think the modelers still are getting a bit of a bad rap because of the sterile distorted tones that were so common just a few models back . While I am going to remain an all-tube guy, I admit that the new generation Mustang has some really convincing tones with an excellent menu of affects. For the money, they appear to be a great choice for a beginner or garage-band hobbyist. When I was starting out, I think these would have provided immense fun-factor that my old dog didn't have.

I have played through the Vox, Line 6 and Peavey and was not as impressed.

1 person likes this.
  16. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

I have a Mustang III, I think it's great at what it does. It does not have tubes, so in my mind it does not do tubes....I don't judge an SS amp against a a tube amp, I just judge things on if they sound good or not, or have the features I like etc. The Mustang III sounds good and does everything I want. I have been playing 40+ years and have owned every type of amp....including a Marshall Major, Vintage Fender Super Twin, Twins, many many others old and new. I like tube some amps as well as some SS amps.

1 person likes this.
  17. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain Senior Member

I hope gear like Fractals Axe FX II helps to push along modelling amp development. I use Peavey's Revalver software on the PC and just wish more of that was in the vypyr.

18. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Senior Member

Those sound like a lot of fun. I´ve been looking at the HD300 and the HD500, as well. The 300 is similarly priced as the Mustang, while the 500 would be a serious purchase for me, although it has an amazing amount of flexibility. Pricewise, either the 300 or the Mustang make much more sense. Does anyone have the Mustang Floor? Is it very different playing through headphones than through a speaker?

19. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I have a Valvetronix, and it's a great amp, but I'd like to try a Mustang. They seem to be a popular competitor.

Here's a video I made a while back. Just don't laugh at my playing. :laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZNrK337wow]Vox Valvetronix VT20+ Demo - YouTube[/ame]

20. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I have the Mustang 2, and I'm more than happy with it (for my style playing).

Andertons did a shoot-out with the Mustang 2, and a few comparable competitors modelling amps. Mustang came out ahead.

1 person likes this.