Modelers and Touch Sensitivity.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Mar 2, 2016.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Lets see... One option.. Many options...

What should I choose..
    What should I choose..

Jezzz.. I just don't know, those 2 choices are too complicated..

2. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

:wave:

I do. I'm not theory crazy, but I definitely understand it from years of piano, clarinet, marching band and concert band!:thumb:

3. Case24

Case24 Senior Member

8 years of piano lessons and 5 years of music in high school so reading music and understanding theory have been a big part of my younger years. Unfortunately, I still have to practice the guitar to get any better at it. :laugh2:

4. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

*cough* yeah so about that touch sensitivity. ^Proof or don't ya believe me? :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  5. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I've got a '67 Lamborghini 400GT. Over the years I've had a Triumph TR3, an MG TD, an XK140 coupe, a Lotus Europa and more. I've been looking at the Intermeccanica D-Type convertible Porsche replica for several years. I fully understand the charm of old cars.

That was sorta my point. I've driven a '65 Mustang and I've driven the resto-mods, and while the two may *look* alike, they're definitely not similar beyond the look.

They are that. On the other hand, I went through a bunch of Palm Pilots and Sony Clies before the iPhones, and I had a 3GS iPhone that wouldn't work with any of the new (or updated) apps because the iOS stopped at version 5.3. People keep changing these gizmos because the old ones are obsoleted.

Vinyl is sort of a hipster audiophile thing and not particularly "big" as much as it is a curiosity. In terms of actual sales, it's actually a teeny niche market. I know because I keep running across old Marantz, McIntosh and Fisher tube gear and referring my friends to it. In any case, Tower Records is gone, gone, gone.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Absolutely, I practice my Segovia inspired scales daily.

1 person likes this.
  7. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Regarding the vinyl "comeback" - $25-$40 for new vinyl is absurd and will flatten out the resurgence. I buy CDs for new releases and old vinyl for 70s stuff.

8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Hm. I'm wondering how vehemently harpsichordists resisted the pianoforte? :laugh2:

This argument is relatively new to guitarists I guess? Or not? Electric guitar? Required an amplifier? How awkward. Yep. Resistance there too in the beginning.

I'd say my upbringing and personal history make me an expert on music/chauvinism. I was adopted at age nine..into a household of classical musicians. My adoptive dad was a highschool band/orchestra director with a Master's in music education. My step brother also with a Masters from NYU Stonybrook. I could sight read pretty early on due to his bootcamp (WWII vet) philosophy of music instruction.

I had come from a household where top forty radio (WAKY in Louisville!) and movie scores were all that was heard. And my older brother Stanley, a greaser, played country and rockabilly records only. Adopted into a household where I was informed that that was crap, and only stupid people listened to it. I very dutifully took up the violin, as my stepdad envisioned a future Concertmaster. He had chosen the oboe for my brother, even though he was an excellent keyboardist and adept at other reed instruments as well. My brother tells me regularly how much he hates the oboe even though it's been his livelihood since the mid '60s.:laugh2:

Heated arguments about music were nightly fare at the dinner table.

I loved all music. Sorry. Not allowed. Some music is better than others. Oh yes..big band...operettas..broadway..they get a pass. Certainly not rock or country though. Neanderthal music. I will say, the man had a bitchin' Hoffman tube stereo.....when all my friends were listening to little portable record players or crappy hifis. I cajoled them into buying me Meet The Beatles (just released) during the trial summer I was visiting them to see if I wanted to be adopted by them.

Meet The Beatles blasted through 18 watts per channel EL84 powered stereo units (Amperex Bugle Boys yo!) and 12" Jensens....WOW! I was hooked.

So as I was receiving my tuition in the classical method...I was vamping on boogie woogie and pop on the baby grand in the living room. My dad just figured I was goofing off. As I became a teen he (being practical in extremis) forced me to take a correspondence course (National Radio Institute) in electronics. (Musician's need a backup you know). Can't tell you how thrilled I was to have extra homework after school and on Saturdays.:cool:

However...amplifiers..and (Omfg!) electric guitars and their innards were part of the tutelage. My dad was an inveterate electrical fiddler (once again...WWII vet) and woodworker so all the tools were there in his shop. He repaired several school's band and orchestra instruments so I learned about that too. I built a tube VOM and a radio for my NRI tests. After that I was poking around inside stuff and my brain was on fire with rocknroll...to his dismay.

I wanted to be a guitarist. An electric guitarist. His worst nightmare. I can't tell you the resistance I encountered. But one of my good friends (very spoiled rich kid) had a Fender Mustang and a Champ. He also had an $900 Gretsch acoustic which he preferred...so when visiting I got to accompany him on The Mustang..same layout as the violin, just two more strings and a longer scale. And frets! Easy peasy! Leads that is. Chords totally buggered me. But I could fly on leads. Which people seemed to be impressed by? Huh.

So anyway...i was pretty tired of being consigned to fiddle parts (Papa John Creech...Beatles' strings, etc) when our little group of friends jammed. I needed me a righteous gee-tar.

So. My dad had some slave labor jobs he needed me to do one summer. Move 11 tons of fieldstone from the driveway to the backyard for a stonewall...then dig a 8x10x2 foot hole for a drywell...then haul 7 tons of gravel....to the backyard. Worked my ass off for $100.

Anyhoo. Payday. Walked to a local department store (couple miles) that had guitars. Bought myself a Teisco Tulip and Checkmate 88 amp. Carried it back home with the adrenaline pumpin' baby. My dad plotzed. But...my money old man. Suck it! :naughty:

The friction then escalated. ("Not a real instrument!") Not enough that I had done everything he asked of me as a musician...this was verboten! My high school years with him were pretty hellish. So junior year...I quit the orchestra. Sold my violin. In yer face old man!

Then..started hanging around guys much older than me. Sold pot. Bought an (omfg!) Univox MiniKorg. That was the last straw. "Those toys are going to put real musicians out of work damn it!" Too late. Walter Carlos and Keith Emerson had already shown me what "real" musicians were doing. All this lead to actual physical confrontation with my dad and a rift that lasted for years. My brother just dismissed me in disgust, but didn't banish me as we did love each other as brothers. Didn't change the fact that I was a stone cold idiot though.

As I gained skill over the next few years I wrote and recorded some of my 'compositions'. Played one for my dad while visiting. I had programmed my Avatar ( basically a guitar controlled Odyssey) for string and shawm type instruments. He actually listened. "What composer is that?" He asked with interest. "Me" I said.

No response. Not an "interesting" or "good job there".... nothing.

I also started to encounter resistance in my fellow musicians at the time. "guitar synth?" Wtf? Why?

And ever since really. So I weary of the back and forth of "my dick's bigger than yours" that passes for the discussion of music and technology. My two cents.

You use what you want. I'll use what I want. And the world will be better for it.

Sorry for the long winded post. Carry on my brothers in music.

3 people like this.
  9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Mindfrigg.. Thanks for separating the post into nice neat few line passages. Much appreciate.. Oh and great content too..

1 person likes this.
  10. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

I don't get the heat. Really I don't. I mean...I know where it comes from...but I don't "get" it.

Play a kazoo. A dulcimer. Tambourine. Mouth harp. A hollow log. Spoons. Whatever. Whatever gets what's inside out.

My brother told me after many years that he was "a dinosaur". Wrong attitude. He's an excellent musician. What does it matter if you "keep up" or not. But don't rag on me because I do.

And my exuberance for technology doesn't mean I'm demeaning those who don't share it. I just love it. For whatever reason. Tools are extentions of our hands. I can't drive a nail with my fist.

I think I was doomed from the first time I heard a Theremin in 'Angry Red Planet' or Telstar. :shock:

Not my fault! :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  11. frankv

You know where it comes from.. It comes from me. Guys don't like how I talked about Tube Amps . But look at the results of me saying things like...

Antiquated
    Backwards
    One trick pony
    Boring
    Outdated..

Stuff like that.. It didn't go over so well. It was insulting to those that took it that way.. and it still is.. You see what happened earlier in this thread. The attacks that were thrown around..

In the meantime look at the result of all my hammering over the last 5 months. We now have a new sub forum. Many guys have joined it. Many have expanded their arsenal of tools by buying a modeler of some kind. Those that have not purchased one have been talking and asking what they should buy. My PM's fill up with support behind the scenes from guys that don't want to post in the open forum.

So I took a little heat for how I went about it. Guess what, when I am gone from here this sub forum will still be here.. for that it was worth it. I am a salesman like my father before me and my grandfather before him. Couldn't you tell? :thumb:

So I ruffled a few feathers. None of it permanent.. Meanwhile new guys wondering in can now have choices all located in one easy to find place.

4 people like this.
  12. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

The 'heat' is usually in response to being told that what you have isn't enough and that you're 'wrong' (or ignorant) if you disagree. :)

3 people like this.
  13. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Tell you what. The two extemes can go at it and I'll stay in the middle. Sometimes that's what it takes to investigate a subject thoroughly. :)

2 people like this.
  14. frankv

You took the bait bro.. Sorry your manhood got challenged. :thumb:

15. northernguitarguy

My manhood is safe. I don't need to drop comments to strangers on how much I spend on things. :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  16. frankv

You have been one of those guys that really took this way too serious and developed a chip on your shoulder about it all.. for that I apologize to you for causing you the stress you surely had... Because I read it every day.

17. northernguitarguy

Nah, just don't tell me you know me better than I know myself and I'm fine. :wave:

1 person likes this.
  18. frankv

The problem Chris is nothing said in this medium means a hill of beans. It is just idle banter to pass the time. When things start getting taken as gospel that is where the problem starts.

If someone calls you a douchebag here in this forum.. Does that mean its true? Does anything ever written here mean anything really in the big picture of things.. It is just dudes sitting behind a keyboard acting nothing like they would if in real life.. I am quite sure if I met you.. Or spoke to you on the phone.. You would not feel like you do now.. This I can assure you.

1 person likes this.
  19. northernguitarguy

All good. I don't think you'd like me, my stuff isn't as good as yours. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  20. frankv

What stuff... You mean the stuff I have now? Of when this is all sold off the stuff I'll have later? Don't confuse me dude.. :thumb:

In all reality it went like this. I buy and sell amps and guitars as a side gig. I fix up homeless, ugly items and sell them. Usually there isn't much profit but sometimes I score big..

Like the time I purchased a 1982 JCM 800 that was sold as broken. I got it for just a few bucks and fixed it with a .10 screen grid resistor. That enabled me to sell it for $1200..

Or the time I purchased a Replica Les Paul with a broken headstock. I fixed it and turn it around for a nice profit.

This is stuff I look for.. Why? to fund the stuff I want. I am not at all wealthy what so ever. I can not go out and buy stuff without first moving stuff I have.

So please do understand that I am not some elite that looks down on everyone from a high place. I live at just a couple feet above sea level..

I think I would like you because I have yet to speak to anyone from this forum that I could not or would not call a friend.

3 people like this.