Modelers and Touch Sensitivity.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Mar 2, 2016.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

No doubt. You learned the sound the scale makes instead of 1-4 1-3 1-3 1-3 1-4 1-4 :thumb:

Bottom line is you ended up in the same place. So in effect, you really did learn the scale and then some..

Regarding lessons.. Up until a couple years ago, I never thought I would benefit from lessons. I was always self paced self taught type. Then I became frustrated in playing the same old same old.. and I wanted more... But rather then downloading yet another course I wouldn't finish, I contacted my current teacher..

While I have not been an every week kind of student I do find once in a while being very helpful. It is because I get to ask him things and learn techniques that are much easier with him there then it is with a computer video.

3 people like this.
  2. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Frank, My Friend, You just articulated quite nicely where you are coming from. See, My Friend, You are not trying to "chase people away" as you asked me earlier; rather you are trying to simply share your enthusiasm.

Nice Job :applause: (and that is sincere, not sarcastic)

2 people like this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Originally Posted by RAG7890 [​IMG]
    I think the real question for the future guys is, who is going to be playing Electric Guitar in the years to come.

Not that many youngsters are playing any type of Guitar from where I'm sitting.

No doubt guitar is something of an endangered pursuit. Plus, the video games on phones is becoming an alarming addiction. Fortunately, I still saw high school kids wanting to learn guitar; sheesh, some even carry their guitars with them all day at school for any break in the action that allows them to play.

4. frankv

Thank you Roland. But it is not enthusiasm. It's simple honest fact. It's obvious that some people, many people are searching for more than they currently have. If that were not the case there would be no reason to change pickups, pots, or caps all in search of a change of tone.

I once started a thread that said tone chasing stops in the squawk room with the acquisition of amps. Well I proved even to myself that that couldn't be more true.

5. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Almost all of that is museum stuff.
    "Classic cars" are a movable feast generated by nostalgia, and honestly, I doubt I'd drive an original '65 Mustang now because I didn't care for them then. A resto-mod replete with new technology? Maybe. Without baby boomer nostalgia we wouldn't (and wont, going forward) have the same market. It's difficult to see what "classic cars" will emerge from *this* century.

Current teenagers have no desire to play with old operating systems or computers, not many people really want to go back to flip phones, no one seems to care that CD's have nearly disappeared, DVDs are on their way to being dino dust. Nostalgia and collectibles will probably always be with us, but are hardly relevant to our daily lives.

3 people like this.
  6. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

You guys are seriously beating this to death, trying to convince each other of a superior way to deliver sound from a friggin guitar. Get back to enjoying all of our gear would ya!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. frankv

I refer you to post 178 as a reference... :thumb:

It is about playing guitar silly... I mean willy. :D

8. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Good then play! And post an Allman Bros. sound clip already!!!!:applause:

9. frankv

:thumb: I like u wally.. I mean willy.. always have...:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  10. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

I seriously have no idea why, I am considered quite the A-hole in some circles.:hmm:

1 person likes this.
  11. frankv

Yeah well then that's why.. we are two peas in a pod.. hahahahah

1 person likes this.
  12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Frank....I would love to when I have time. I have been so up to my eyeballs with guitar builds and restorations lately I have not been able to play for even a half hour.

However, for the latest guitar that I just finished, I took a panning video shot of it and was going to post it on my youtube channel. But as I looked at the footage I thought, man I have to record something with this axe rather than just have a silent video.

So I threw together a groove with some loops and fired off a ridiculously wanton (meaning sloppy, no thought, just feel), off the cuff improvisation with a plexi model.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChpMiq_uWZk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChpMiq_uWZk[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  13. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

It's hell when an old Internet reputation follows you around like that.
    Those West Hollywood boys can be so bitchy. :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  14. frankv

Thank you Freddy. Guitar looks awesome.. So it the playing.. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  15. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

This is true, folks!
    He runs a Circle A-Hole page on FB!

2 people like this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

D, couple of things. A mate of mine has an old '59 Porsche 356. He always drives it to the Guitar Store we all hang out in...........so it is driven every week for his 60 mile return trip. Is it perfect (by today's standards), nope, does it drive like a modern Car, nope. Is it fun, yes. :)

My Luthier & very close friend in Sydney always bugs me about the Car thing. He says, do you want to drive a '65 Mustang or do you want to drive a modern Car.............this is his argument about Guitars. Do you want cutting edge & quality or old (Vintage) & not so good. FWIW, I'd also prefer the resto Rod route because I want the benefits with the vibe.

Nostalgia & collectibles will always be a part of people's lives..........but not everyone's obviously. Depends what you're in to I suppose.

I don't think the Mobile Phone analogy is a relevant one here though, most people keep changing Mobiles because they have become a fashion accessory (IMHO).

I'll be honest, I'm a technology geek but in this case I happen to like both Tube Amps & the idea of what a Modeller can do (although I don't think I want other people's patches & access to 500 Amps, not at this stage anyway).

CD's have nearly disappeared but now many are back in to Vinyl again. Not sure about how large this small niche is but man, there are quite a few Turntables being advertised here now.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I don't have a crystal ball & we don't know what is going to happen in the future. My only concern is (as Frank said) the quick fix vs. all the hours of practice to be good at whatever instrument you choose............& the state of the Planet in the forthcoming years.

My Son (25) plays Piano, Guitar, Sax & Sings but he's got some serious talent. Not many of his mates are interested & all those Ma & Pa Music stores are falling by the wayside, which is a great shame.

:shock:..............the Internet, that is what killed most of the Stores. :naughty:

Cheers, Rudi

2 people like this.
  17. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Frank, it's not as though none of this was happening before when SS or tube was the only deal in town. If what you are saying is true, then we must be in some kind of guitar-playing renaissance. However, the opposite is the truth and the more creative stuff done on guitars happened already-with tube and SS amps.

I still don't want 300 amp voices.:naughty:

2 people like this.
  18. frankv

Just the way I see it brother.. Having had many many amps and now modelers. The post you quoted is exactly how I look at it. More options for more choices. Nothing more or less.. :thumb:

You have your opinion and me mine.. :fingersx:

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Thank GAWD Ornette Coleman never played through an Axe FX. :lol:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdzeRUIVFiM[/ame]

20. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I've been using Line 6 for what, 18 years? The Pod was 1998. I got teased a lot. I got the same crap for being a VERY early VMWare user. We haven't found THE answer, we're just a little further along in the journey than most.

2 people like this.