MLP Weekly Creature Feature

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Malikon, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

yeah something about a glove covered in Rosen (resin?) and drug down the strings of a bass like an epic pick-slide.

I'm sure there's more to the story though. Like post-processing,..or tuning the strings down or something.

bulletproof likes this.
  2. electric head

electric head Don't answer the phone Premium Member

We need to add this guy to the list of movies...
    I don't think I see him represented yet..

GEEEZZZZ Its the first one on the list..:facepalm:

bridesofdracula.jpg

or this guy....
    houseofdarkshadows1970-mgm-half (1).jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

Mal, thanks for setting this up. Just watched all 136 minutes of Gojira, on my 60 minute lunch break. Nearly got fired, but it was worth it!:thumbs:
    ROARR, SCREEONK emeffers!

redjunior, bulletproof and Malikon like this.
  4. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Premium Member

Well yea, but my 10 year old eyes wouldn't have gotten past certain areas, and I never would have remembered the movie!

bulletproof and Malikon like this.
  5. Malikon

Glad you enjoyed it, plenty more to come. :)

MLP CREATURE FEATURE!! :dude:

20092.gif

I'm going to screen Son of Godzilla tonight. I fixed all the subtitles in Invasion of AstroMonster last night. :dude:

SGeoff, redjunior and bulletproof like this.
  6. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

7. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

8. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Mal, "It Came From Beneath The Sea" is probably Harryhausen's most iconic film.

it-came-from-beneath-the-sea-giant-octopus.jpg

9. Malikon

Ok I added it to the list.

It's old, B&W, and definitely a "Creature". :thumb:

I found a colorized version but I always tend to get the B&W original versions. "Colorized" always looks a little funny.

I found it on YouTube also but the picture quality was pretty terrible. Better to do it with a good copy.

_________

I'm always so impressed with the models and miniatures these old creature movies had. There's a scene in Rodan where you see people walking in a real location and then very quickly the location is doubled by a look-alike model that gets destroyed with a fast camera edit. But the model looks almost exactly like the location you were just looking at.

Even stuff like individual roof shingles blowing off from Rodans wings,..or buildings collapsing and you can see roof joists being exposed as the buildings come apart. Such attention to detail! It's not like they made "boxes" that looked like buildings form the outside. Time and again you see interiors and interior construction like they actually built a miniature building, not just a box.

amazing,...all just to be destroyed on film!

10. Soul Tramp

I watch Gojira once a month or so. I wish it were in English, but it's so much better then the Raymond Burr version.

What I find interesting is that you could remove Godzilla and you'd still have a very dark brooding movie that draws you in. The characters and cinematography are fantastic.

11. Soul Tramp

Spoiler alert for "Tarantula". Don't read if you haven't seen the movie.

Can someone tell me how they filmed the end of "Tarantula"? I can't figure out how the last scene (burning bug) was created.

bulletproof and redjunior like this.
  12. Malikon

Hey Don, for Spoilers you can highlight the text, then click the '+' sign and click 'Spoiler' and it will hide the text with a button that has to be clicked,...

Like this

Yeah I like that about these movies too. Like Rodan even without Rodan would be an interesting movie about miners in a miners town. It even starts out like a murder mystery until later in the movie you realize the murders are actually monster killings.

Or Godzilla VS The Sea Monster is almost like a weird island-Bond movie.

Invasion of the AstroMonster is a pretty weird Sci-Fi,...that just ends up having Rodan, Godzilla, and King Ghidorah in it towards the end.

...what they have in common is generally the last 10-20 minutes are monsters just wrecking the joint. :laugh2: but the lead up to that in so many of the movies is generally interesting.

I LOVE Mothra!! And how instead of a "monster" per se she's more like a protective deity, with worshipers and everything. She even has her own song.

plus it has that cool guy from Shogun in it.

mothra11.jpg

download.jpg

13. Soul Tramp

Better yet, it has the mini Japanese twins! I'm sure something very interesting could be done with them!

mothra-twins.jpg

14. Malikon

yup....Harmonies!!!

...wait what were you thinking? They're like Barbie sized, man. :laugh2:

bulletproof and redjunior like this.
  15. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

you know what you get if you mess with dem:run: some good ones in Gojira, where you'd see a fire engine going by, then get grabbed by the monster and turn into a model of the fire engine just before exploding into the required ball of flame. good stuff:yesway:

bulletproof and Malikon like this.
  16. Malikon

plus like how many monster suits caught fire? I know in some of the shots you can see the costumes are on fire momentarily before the camera edit.

I know the monster Baltan in Ultraman, they ran a pressurized hose down his arm and literally squirted gasoline out of his claws that shot like 10-20 feet of actual flames. I mean...that's not a very safe idea. :shock: :laugh2:

tumblr_inline_oen3joGSNR1rvkpf6_540.jpg

they're always shooting "rockets" and "missiles" at the creatures.

There's a great shot in Gamera where you see one of the missiles ricochet beautifully off his shell like a bullet.

Or in Rodan when they're just pumping missile after missile into the "mountain" and you can see things just blowing up all over the place. It's not CGI, they're really blowing stuff up!!

I mean they shot these things indoors on stages. How often did they accidentally truly set the place or the actors on fire?

I know some of the Godzilla stuntmen talked about almost being drowned in the big "ocean" pool.

...they just didn't mess around making those movies back then. :laugh2:

"We're going to half drown you while you suffocate in a big rubber costume,...also we'll be firing flaming projectiles at you in your flammable rubber suit!"

:shock: :laugh2:

17. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

Hey Mal, what about space kids with giant cannibal lobsters?
    "Teenagers from Outer Space"
    mmmm...... Cheesy good!:run:

bulletproof likes this.
  18. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Another of my favorites!!! Ole Kenneth Tobey,man,the dude just slayed it in this and The Thing....

Soul Tramp and Malikon like this.
  19. Malikon

idk, we have enough movies now to exceed a year. I don't want to get too campy like Return of the Killer Tomatoes or anything. But I also don't want people feeling left out if their suggestions aren't taken either,..it's tricky. So far (I think) I've grabbed quite a few of the suggestions.

some good ones to round things out would be good. I was thinking of looking for Gremlins. Maybe Ghoulies. But I'm not even sure they fall under the "Creature" banner as much as they are ...small creatures. Though I guess that should count?

I'm so looking forward to hearing some of ya'lls comments about some of these movies. Like...what will people think of Godzillas son? Interesting premise or shark jumping, "Not the Mama" dinosaur crap?

What about the ridiculous fight scene in They Live? :laugh2:

is King Ghidorah an awesome Golden Three Headed Dragon? or just goofy?

ghidorah-the-three-headed-monster.jpg

What about MechaGodzilla?

How come all the Aliens in Astromonster look like Asian dudes? :laugh2: identical Asian dudes from the planet hiding behind Jupiter.

invasion-of-astro-monster.jpg.scaled1000.jpg
    (damn girl you kinda fine...)

What about Godzilla 2001 GMK where Godzilla isn't Godzilla but is the reincarnated spirits of supremely pissed off soldiers and he's actually more like the incarnation of pure Rage?!?! (it's a very angry monster,..with white eyes.)

GMK_Japanese_Poster.jpg

...I can't wait to hear what people say about some of these movies. I just hope people actually participate. I mean watching the movie is fun,..but talking about them is part of the fun, too.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    bulletproof likes this.
  20. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Man,Im all for the discussion part as well.....I can remember when the one kid in 3rd grade would come to school with his Monsters magazines and we all gather around and the conversation,man,I wish some of it could have been recorded!!!!!!:rofl:

It was always Kong would kick so so's butt!! No way,Godzilla would take'em all!!! Frankensteins bride looks like Mrs Clark!!!! Remember when_______rose up and?!?!? What about when _________ ate that chick,man that was sick!!! Funny how those memories stick.

You brought back some great memories with this here thread..