MLP Weekly Creature Feature

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Malikon, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

Yeah, I love Nexus, too. That bombed when it aired initially (so much that its episode count was slashed from the typical 50 to 37), but did really well in late-night repeats. Hence why Ultraseven X was even a thing. The TV network was taken aback with the late-night Nexus repeats, so they asked Tsuburaya to come up with something else for that time slot. It's not great, but it's an interesting diversion for the franchise in a way.

I see you have that 2004 Ultraman movie lined up for this, awesome.

Malikon likes this.
  2. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

Yeah I liked the 2004 movie. It may have been the first Ultra movie I saw. I wish the CGI held up a little better but it's still a decent introduction to the Ultra-verse.

Have you seen The Zero Trilogy yet? I liked that a lot. Belial is a great bad guy. I was happy to see that Zero and Belial were such a big part of Geed and the new series.

The trilogy is good. Though I think parts 1 & 2 are best. Part 3 is sort of an 'also ran',..it didn't really have to be included as part of the trilogy and I sort of wonder why it was,..but it was still an interesting stand alone story.

Spiteface likes this.
  3. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

I watched Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend, which is Zero's first, but haven't dug deeper. It's sort-of on the list.

Malikon likes this.
  4. Malikon

Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend was seriously just like 90 minutes of non-stop group fighting. :laugh2: It was like a fight scene that segues into a fight scene that segues into a fight scene that segues into a fight scene, etc.

I liked it for that though, it was unapologetic.

And Zero,..holy cow that dude just shows up and starts beating everyone's ass at once! He's like the Bruce Lee of the Ultra-verse. "Let me take a break from kicking this guys ass to go kick this other guys ass, then I'll be back to finish kicking more ass!"

though because of who Zeros father is, and who trained him to fight,..that's really no surprise he'd be like that.

Spiteface likes this.
  5. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I've now watched two of the features. Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Kong Island one.

SteveGangi, Malikon and SGeoff like this.
  6. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

holy crap! yer addicted!

SteveGangi and Who like this.
  7. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

I watched the "Creature" last night (for the one millionth time). What a GREAT movie!!

The Creature, the setting, the vibe, it was all just perfect!

Malikon likes this.
  8. Malikon

Bump for Friday. New CF is up. :)

I really dug this one, hopefully you will too.

[​IMG]

SteveGangi likes this.
  9. KTM

KTM Senior Member

Bump.

Thanks Mal. :thumb:

Malikon likes this.
  10. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

Yeah, that was a good one. If the Asian girl was my girl, and she fell one more time, I'd feed her to Gojira myself:hyper:

11. Malikon

I like that the theme of the Heisei era 'Zilla movies seems to be, "More and bigger explosions!"

There's been a few times when I was pretty sure they'd killed the guy in the suit because EVERYTHING around him exploded in huge fireballs. There's only 7 Heisei era movies but the explosions and destruction in all of them is pretty wild.

I think Godzilla VS King Ghidorah (1991) is my favorite of the Heisei. Mecha Ghidorah was AWESOME!! :dude:

Mothra in Godzilla VS Mothra (92) is really beautiful looking though. The colors and everything look really nice. And Battra (the anti-Mothra) was really cool. Even as a caterpillar Battra was bad-ass.

I'm hoping to start the Millenium era next week. I've been looking forward to seeing Godzilla with the giant purple spine.

movieSuit14_10.jpg

I'm not looking forward to the American Godzilla 1998 movie with Matthew Broderick. I saw that in the theater and remember not liking it too much and thinking Godzilla didn't look or act like Godzilla. It ran and hid? Godzilla doesn't hide.

But I'm trying to go through all of them in the order they came out, so....it must be done. :laugh2:

SteveGangi likes this.
  12. Who

OK, I just watched the original Godzilla (which I don't think I've ever actually seen) in preparation for this movie.

So far, all of the Creature Feature movies I've watched have not been good. But I'm in the club anyway!

13. Malikon

you don't think the original Godzilla movie is any good? Or Creature from the Black Lagoon?

I'm going to make this week a double feature. I'm zipping Godzilla VS King Ghidorah now and I'm going to upload it to the CF folder in a minute.

14. Who

Nope. At best they are an "iconic product of the times".

I wouldn't say to someone... "you haven't seen those?! You gotta see them.".

15. Malikon

I don't know what to tell ya man, you probably wont like any of them. If you didn't like Skull Island or Godzilla or Creature from the Black Lagoon or They Live, you maybe just don't like these types of movies I guess.

anyway I've tweaked the OP to make it a Double Creature Feature this week. 2 films from the Heisei era of Godzilla. Hope you guys enjoy it. The second film is uploaded now and available. And I added the trailer and a photo and some text to the bottom of the OP CF for this week.

2fu3b7p.jpg

19834463029_d37b9d8691.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Who likes this.
  16. Who

Finished the 1984 Godzilla. Two creature features in one day!

Malikon likes this.
  17. Malikon

did you like that one any better?

I liked it. But then again I sort of like all the Godzilla movies.

18. Who

The pacing draaaaaaaggggggssssss. I don't need action-every-second, but that entire movie could have been 40 minutes, without losing a bit of plot or character.

19. Malikon

well don't watch Halloween,..or Hitchcock,....or anything made before 2005 I guess? :laugh2: That's when Short Attention Span Theater seems to have really taken off.

I didn't think it dragged I thought it was a lot of fun. But character development to me isn't boring. The reason I like the Godzilla movies is because they have story. Granted not always the best story,..but it's not 90 minutes of just Godzilla stomping around a city. Each film is usually it's own weird little story.

I don't know man, maybe they're just not your thing. All the movies on the Master List are going to be like this. None of them are "good" movies in the sense that they're fine art films or anything. You kind of have to like the cheese too to a certain extant.

Sometimes I wonder if stuff like Reservoir Dogs will be popular in ten more years or if people wont be able to stand 10-15 minutes of people sitting around a table talking.

Already now there's a ton of people who can't stand Halloween or Hitchcock because stuff doesn't happen fast enough for them. Which is a shame really. Part of the fun of movies is losing yourself in the story, and I think a lot of people these days just can't lose themselves in a story anymore.

I've seen people say about Godzilla, "you can tell it's fake, it's a guy in a suit." well,...yeah. But you can tell things are fake in every movie. Part of the magic of movies is buying into it. Like I know Star Wars Stormtroopers are running around in plastic,..but when I watch I pretend it's armor.
    I know Godzilla is a guy in a suit crushing model buildings. But when I watch I imagine he's hundreds of feet tall and actually smashing buildings and shooting nuclear energy out of his mouth. :laugh2:

I don't know,..believing in the magic of the movie is part of the fun I guess. Losing myself in the movie for 90 minutes and for that little bit of time, it's real.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  20. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Just watched "Return of Godzilla". I enjoyed it, but none of the reissues captures the vibe of the original. Of all, Mothra came closest. It would be interesting to see it in B&W. Could have a completely different vibe.

What I like about the modern (past 20 years or so) Godzilla is that they don't try to be a "part II" of the original, they are just great monster movies with good FX. It's the same with the Kong movies.

Now I'm on to this weeks double feature.

THANKS MAL, FOR THIS FUN ADVANTURE AND FOR SPENDING THE TIME TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!

SGeoff, Who and Malikon like this.