MLP Weekly Creature Feature

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Malikon, Aug 21, 2017.

1. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

They explained it. He was "feeding" on radiation and oxygen. He could absorb both from wherever he happened to be.

Malikon likes this.
  2. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

@SteveGangi

but that doesn't explain the tail. And why the people in the tail had Godzilla spines on them. was he going to start dropping off mutated Godzilla-People? Was he going to mutate into a Combiner like a Transformer? Break down into thousands of little Godzilla-People that could merge to form Mega-Zilla? ....was it just something the Director thought would look cool as a final shot?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

31 godzilla movies...holy moly. maybe hold the ones with x-tra cheese...we need almost a year for godzilla movies alone.:Ohno:

SteveGangi and Malikon like this.
  4. Malikon

yeah It's part of why I'm going through them all (though honestly I like Godzilla and would've anyway),..but I want to try to weed out the most cheese.

..I don't mind a little cheese. But if it's so bad I'm rolling my eyes....

My biggest complaint so far about them is the late 60's and early 70's one are reusing footage,..and that annoys me greatly. When I'm watching one movie but seeing edited in bits from the other movies. (especially the Rolling Armor I swear I've seen in 3-4 of them now. Tanks, jeeps, etc rolling down the road. One shot with a helicopter,..a real nice shot actually but it's in at least 2 of them.)

And I think I remember that from being a kid. Constantly getting confused over which Godzilla movies I'd seen because you see scenes and reused footage in some of the movies. Like Godzillas kid blowing the circle is in a couple of them...

[​IMG]

and sometimes the scenes of Godzilla fighting King Ghidorah are the same in different movies. It's annoying. Godzilla VS Gigan the other night had some scenes like that. It had a weird interesting story about cockroach aliens taking over the earth using human corpes as disguises though which was kind of neat. And it had some interesting firsts for a Godzilla movie,..a woman smoking, a woman got called a "mean bitch" or "hard bitch" or something like that,..blood,..in one scene so much it hit the camera,..all firsts for a Godzilla movie.

Godzilla came up behind King Ghidorah grabbed all 3 necks and flipped him/body slammed him,..which was pretty cool.

The weird thing is I'm starting to enjoy the bizarre stories in these movies (almost?) more than the Godzilla moments. :laugh2:

Like a lot of the Ultraman shows are almost like weird Twilight Zone episodes with weird stories and monsters,..then in the last 5 minutes Ultraman shows up and just starts kicking monster ass. Godzilla is starting to seem like that. It'll be a really weird story then in the last 15 minutes Godzilla and Friends show up and starting wrecking the place. :laugh2:

..for example I saw a cool Ultraman episode (Ultraseven 1967) called Android Zero the other night, and it had this twisted old man/toy maker who was giving toys out to all the kids in the city,..toy guns and tanks,..and giving them a lapel pin to wear. Then at midnight after a couple weeks of giving out lots of toys, he was going to activate a signal that would trigger something in the lapel pins that hypnotized the kids and made the toy guns and toy tanks go 'live',..and all the kids were going to kill their parents then go out in the city at night with their guns and start murdering everyone. What a crazy story!!

Of course Ultraseven shows up and just flat out murders the guy. Because he's that kind of Superhero. He doesn't f*ck around he just kills and butchers in every episode. :laugh2: it's great. :applause:

[​IMG]
    (he's a bit more like The Punisher than say, Superman..:laugh2: )

I found the episode if anyone's interested. Episode 9 of Ultraseven called Android Zero. (with English Subs)

So anyway I'm seeing a certain similarity in a lot of these Japanese monster movies that remind me of Twilight Zone. Where each one often is kind of it's own weird somewhat self-contained story. Just in the ending the monster (or Ultra hero) shows up to wreck the joint.

And I'm really liking that about them because I often have no idea where the story is going. So it all seems new and fresh to me.

SteveGangi and Who like this.
  5. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

perhaps because I saw most of these as a child, I totally did not pick up on too much back story, I just wanted to see monster stuff goin on. So re-watching as an adult does give a little more perspective, or perhaps at the time the makers of these films were going for a wider audience. for certain, as a child (and mostly as an adult) I could take a bathroom break when the mushy stuff starts, but I'm glued to the screen when monsters are on the rampage:fingersx:

6. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Hey, didn't I see that in Men In Black ?

SteveGangi, Malikon and Who like this.
  7. Malikon

and the 'infecting children' thing from Ultraseven is sorta like what happens in Halloween 3:Season of the Witch.

Only instead of the children becoming hypnotized killers on a murderous rampage,..the signal coming through the tv was going to kill all the children in gruesome ways. (like the halloween masks they're wearing would eat their face.)

8. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

The "real" alien form of the toymaker in Ultraseven was hysterical

Malikon likes this.
  9. Malikon

yeah their monsters/aliens can be pretty weird. Sometimes really cool,..sometimes silly.

I think it's funny that so far every episode Ultraseven has had no remorse or compassion. First instinct is to kill, every time. Even the very first episode as soon as he sees the alien he instantly takes his blade and cuts off the top of it's head. :laugh2: Like within a second, "There's the alien!... And it's dead."

No debate,..no trying to understand,..just Kill! :laugh2: Out of all the Ultramen shows I've seen so far, UltraSeven and Ultraman Ace are just merciless! Both of them just eviscerate, decapitate and mutilate,..every time.

10. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

I need to watch Ultraseven. I saw Ultraseven X once. That was interesting, if something of an odd series out in the Ultra canon.

Caught up with Geed on the weekend. How much I'm liking it kinda snuck up on me, but I wish it wasn't redoing things from Orb - the forms being fusions of previous Ultras, and Kei Fukuide is a bit too similar to Jugglus Juggler for his own good. Laiha's a cool character, though.

I really should start that Tokusatsu thread. There's stuff I'd like to talk about without derailing this thread.

Malikon likes this.
  11. Malikon

by all means with all the monster/godzilla/ultraman talk this is easily a Tokusatsu thread. :laugh2:

I'm crushing on Moa in Geed. ...she's so silly and happy (and ditzy) but cute and nice. Her personality is so sweet and adorable. She doesn't stand out in the looks dept as being 'hot and sexy' or anything, but her characters personality is really adorable and likable and she has a big happy smile.

I love the camera work in Geed so far. They really put in that extra effort to use low angles and good sound effects to make the giants seem big and heavy.

Ultraman-Geed-Primitive.jpg

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  12. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

Just watched this....gave me a flashback................LSD+Geed give and give.

Malikon likes this.
  13. Malikon

Lots of Moa in that Episode!
    red-heart-icon.png

See instead of dating really smart, really pretty girls, I need to find one who just looks cute and is a little simple minded and generally cheerful! :laugh2:

Smart girls are always moody and depressed,.and really hot girls can usually be b*tchy.

yup,...cute and simple! That's the ticket!

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  14. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

Oh yeah, they call it Monster love.

Malikon likes this.
  15. Malikon

another show I watch brought me to the same conclusion. :laugh2: "Cute and Simple",..that's where it's at. If you want a woman find a woman who's silly and happy and don't waste your time with anything else. Stay away from serious/smart/really hot/damaged ones.

..and avoid the 'savior complex'...if they're broken, don't bother. You can't fix it. :laugh2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20170612021023315.gif

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  16. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

I'm not a Charlie Sheen fan, but he made a brilliant observation. "You don't pay prostitutes for sex, you pay them to go away".

Tim Fezziwig likes this.
  17. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

Well, without getting too picky about it, Toku is a broad church, but most people think it's Sentai and Kamen Rider, sometimes Ultraman. You can say anything with special effects in it is Tokusatsu (that's kinda what the term means) - Even Doctor Who or Thunderbirds!

I was thinking that a thread about yer "Henshin Heroes" and such would mean this stays on track.

If I may, though, I'll just recommend people check out Garo:

Tokusatsu with a darker, horror vibe, aimed at adults.

Also, Today is September 13th. 9/13. 9-1-3. KAIXA DAY~!

Faiz is a cool show, hampered by characters' inability to have sensible conversations. Great suit and monster design though!

Malikon likes this.
  18. Malikon

Or Power Rangers, which...

200.gif

I have a good friend that loves Star Wars, movies and superheros,..and whenever I try to get him to check out Ultraman he's like, "I hate that Power Rangers sh*t."

:facepalm:

where do you even start to explain what's wrong with that statement? That Power Rangers are American? That not everything that has superheros or giant monsters in weird costumes is Power Rangers? Is Godzilla or Gamera Power Rangers?

..Power Rangers casts a huge shadow in this country and a lot of people kind of lump Kamen Rider, Ultraman, or anything 'like that' into this Power Rangers group.

And from what little I've seen, Super Sentai actually isn't that bad. Power Rangers is just Americanized. Power Rangers is a very silly 'American' version of Super Sentai that's re-shot with American actors and ... kind of goofy.

Much like how the American dubs (imo) ruin Godzilla movies but if you watch the Japanese versions that don't have dubs and have different editing and different scenes they're a lot better, and sometimes they're very, very good.

American editing and "Humor", ruins Japanese shows and movies and makes them seem very silly and stupid. (especially the shoehorned addition of dumb humor for no reason.)

or they get an agenda. Like in Godzilla Returns in the original that guy dies trying to STOP the missile launch and basically sacrifices himself trying to stop it. In the American version they make him be the guy who LAUNCHES the missile! That changes the whole tone of things for a reason that's pretty obvious. America at the time (1985) didn't want A Russian to be a selfless hero, they wanted him to be a bad guy. But they change the movies too much,..and push bad and awkward humor into it where it doesn't belong.

"Lets take this dark and brooding horror movie, re-edit it, and put in some slapstick and goofy voices!"

:facepalm:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  19. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

Yeah, it's really tough to get people out of that mindset, that every Japanese transforming hero show is Power Rangers.

That said, Power Rangers, every once in a while, surprises you with a show like RPM. Take a light-heated goofy Sentai show like Engine Sentai Go-Onger, and turn it into Power Rangers meets Terminator meets Mad Max. Yeah. It's probably the last great Power Rangers series, actually, because it had the freedom to take risks. Disney were cancelling the show anyway at that point, so they just let them do what they wanted.

The thing I like about Garo, is that it's adult tokusatsu. It also does interesting things with how suits work, and form changes etc because it's not hampered by having to sell toys.

Malikon likes this.
  20. Malikon

That's how I felt with Ultraman Nexus. People were getting eaten alive, little kids were taking grenades to the face, it definitely didn't seem like a kids show. It was pretty dark in a lot of ways. Not to mention Ultraman Nexus basically had PTSD and wanted to die, never had a chance to really heal between battles and would just throw himself into things hoping for the sweet release of death. Getting weaker and more beaten down battle after battle until he was basically beaten to death? :laugh2: I was like, "Damn this show is pretty dark! Were kids supposed to watch this?" :laugh2:

Spiteface likes this.