MLP Weekly Creature DOUBLE FEATURE!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Malikon, Aug 21, 2017.

1. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Just remembered these here as well.....kinda cheesey,though. They were still great on those rainy Saturday afternoons with KDKA channel2 out of Pittsburghs Shock Theater!!

Edit: I have to include this one as well,its become a real favorite here at the house.

I know you have plenty,Mal....I just cant help myself!!!:hyper::rofl:

Sct13, SteveGangi and redjunior like this.
  2. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

"The Deadly Mantis" is a fantastic movie. One of my top ten! Not cheesy at all.

"The Giant Claw" however, is EXTREMELY cheesy, but so fun to watch.

There are several B&W monster movies yet to be named. "The Monster That Challenged The World" for example. A must watch for B&W scifi enthusiasts.

SteveGangi and bulletproof like this.
  3. bulletproof

The Giant Claw!!! Oh man,Don,thats a scream right there!!! :laugh2: Yaaa,shouldnt have included the Mantis in the cheese section....Maybe this here one instead-

Although I sure did enjoy the first one.....

And yes, The Monster that' is a must see for any self-respecting horror/sci-fi enthusiast :dude:

4. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

Mantis looks pretty interesting. Definitely a giant creature.

looks like it wants to eat people too. :thumb:

bulletproof likes this.
  5. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

well, that checks all the boxes. Calling one movie or another cheesy, is not really the point.
    As a wise man once said, "See the cheese? BE the cheese!"
    they all have merit, they are all cheesy..just enjoy

bulletproof and Malikon like this.
  6. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

Definitely awesome. I have a bit of an attachment to Ghidorah, as my first "proper" Godzilla film was 1991's Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Utterly insane time-travel premise, even more bonkers when Mecha King Ghidorah shows up, which in turn leads to the creation of a new Mechagodzilla a few films later.

7. Malikon

Ok this weekends Creature Feature is up in post #1.

Hope everyone enjoys it.

Last week was Gojira 1954 so this week I went with something a little newer.

Remember to chew Bubble-Gum while wearing Sunglasses. :dude:

SteveGangi, kiko and bulletproof like this.
  8. kiko

kiko Senior Member

These old monster/sci-fi films are fun to watch! Having no CG, it's fun to see how the monster and effects are created in the analog days.

9. Malikon

yeah it was like magic tricks for the camera.

I'm still trying to figure out how they did some of the composite shots where you see tiny people running but there's miniatures and a giant monster in the background.

Check this out, jump to around 3:30,...they recreate a volcano exploding in the ocean the same way they did it "in the old days" and it's actually really clever and slick how they did it. I wouldn't have thought that's how it's done but it makes total sense and comes out looking really good on film. They do it underwater and upside down, but it doesn't look like that when you watch the finished effect.

Sct13, SteveGangi, kiko and 1 other person like this.
  10. Soul Tramp

I picked it up, Mal. Will watch tonight. I've seen this years ago.

Mal, thanks for this thread! We have to keep it going.

Malikon, bulletproof and SGeoff like this.
  11. bulletproof

Man,Im so glad we are doing this!! Brilliant idea,Mal!!! :applause::applause::applause:

Malikon and kiko like this.
  12. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Ingenious! These old productions are much more involved. In those old Toho Godzilla movies I would often cringe when they need to destroy those small, masterly built minatures for the sake of the story, specially the elaborate buildings. Nice one Mal!

13. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Gentlemen, weapons or guns?

Sct13, SteveGangi and bulletproof like this.
  14. Malikon

I'm really glad you guys are enjoying it. I didn't know if it'd be well received but it's been fun. I like trying to put together the OP for the week and coming up with some fun facts and such about this weeks movie. I'm going to try and keep up that format because it actually feels like I'm "Hosting" a Creature Feature.

I like how this weeks OP layout looks with the pics, review, and fun facts at the end of it.

15. Soul Tramp

Ah, yes. The Robert Osborne (not to be confused with his twisted half-brother, Ozzy) of MLP.

bulletproof likes this.
  16. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

I like what you are doing in the OP as well. The only shame is that as you revise it each week, last week's OPus will be removed. I understand that you are doing it in the OP so that it will be easy for watchers to find each week, but then it becomes "disposable". Maybe you should post the Movie download link in the OP, and provide the "Trivia" in a new (in sequence) post, then give the link to that post along with the download in the OP ? That way, your hard work can be memorialized in the running thread ? Just an Idea, but I always find it useful when looking back at a thread later to have the history remain in the thread.

bulletproof likes this.
  17. Malikon

maybe? idk.

I kept it offline in a folder. I wrote it offline so when midnight rolled around last night I could just paste it in.

I suppose I could just copy the OP post to a post in the thread. They'll still get buried though. I didn't save Godzilla since I wrote it on the fly. I tried to be more professional this week and wrote it all up a couple days ago ahead of time.

Hopefully we don't lose the ability to edit our posts because I need to be able to edit the OP each week. I'm a little worried they'll "upgrade" the board at some point in the next year and I wont be able to present a new OP each week.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

Why not do a new thread each week? "Creature Feature 1" "Creature Feature 2" etc.

19. Malikon

I thought an ongoing thread would be more fun. I bookmarked it so I can always find it even if it gets knocked back a few pages.

Plus I think an ongoing thread invites more discussion. It becomes sort of a hang-out,..(within the hang-out that is MLP.)

Like the gun thread, or the Hippie-Thread,..there's members that seemingly only go to those threads. So I was hoping to make a hangout for people that love Monster Movies I guess.

20. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

I like this thread as you have it set up.