MLP Veterans Thread

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Kris Ford, Sep 22, 2017.

1. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Thought so. Saw quite a few T72's on the other side of the river when we had alerts. I was there in 75/76

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Ahhh, never forget crossing the equator the first time. Polliwog no more.

SteveGangi and Kris Ford like this.
  3. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

Sorry for the long post...but I find this subject fascinating. I didn't serve, but my grandfather served in the Navy in WW2. He was in the Pacific theater fighting against Japan on a Navy destroyer. I have his Navy scrapbook from that era. Here's two interesting pics- one is a Christmas card from 1945 he sent home featuring an abandoned Japanese battleship (quite a monster) the Nagato. Could you imagine seeing that monster up close? The Japanese liked to build "big" battleships. The other pic is a menu from the Beverly Hills, CA Legion hall treating the sailors to Christmas dinner at the end of the war. Cigarettes included!

Here is some Japanese occupation money my grandfather collected in some of the exotic Pacific islands the Japanese occupied during the war- these notes are actually quite beautiful...they bely the brutality of the occupiers:

This note was issued right before the Philippines came under attack by the Japanese- they knew it was coming- tense times indeed for the locals-

4. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Much respect to all our MLP vets. Thank you for your service. I tried to join the navy out of high school but couldnt get in because of my mental illness.

5. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

1/9th INF, 2nd INF Bn, HHC Medical Platoon...Medic and Pharmacist South Korean DMZ

"Keep Up The Fire"

Before that was MEDDAC Ft. Benning GA...Supported Airborne Training

(2nd Infantry Division unit Patch /Crest)
    [​IMG]

1/9 Battalion Belt Buckle Device and crest
    [​IMG]

ARCOM
    [​IMG]

Overseas Ribbon
    [​IMG]

Good Conduct Ribbon (almost didn't get this)
    [​IMG]

Eligible....but didn't go through the goofy paperwork to get it....but I earned this "Korean Defense Service Ribbon"

[​IMG]

We got to wear this but its just a unit Citation....

[​IMG]

And the Normandy Citation was also part of the uniform....Gold Frame with the Blue Field..

(MEDDAC) below
    [​IMG]

I have other ribbons and awards I just don't remember them all...I'll find some pics from Korea and post them

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Senior Member

One day, my Shop Chief got so mad about all the mistakes the "Screw Chiefs" kept making on the JOAP paperwork, that he personally called the DCM and told him the entire tanker fleet on the base was grounded! I was only an A1C at the time, and I didn't think a TSgt could tell a full Colonel that. Paperwork errors were almost nonexistent after that!

SteveGangi and Kris Ford like this.
  7. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

I served for just short of 28 years total. I ended up medically retired last November, as a result of the slow but inexorable deterioration of my back. I think three years jumping out of perfectly good airplanes as part of the 82nd Airborne Division after I got back from Desert Storm was the beginning of that end.

I can't say I loved it all, and I can't say I love the Army, but I sure love the people in the Army and other services. The notion of fighting for my country disappeared a while ago. I served to take care of the people I worked with. (Not to be overly jaded, but frankly, there are many people in this country not worth shedding blood over.)

The alpha, somewhere in Saudi Arabia before the ground war started during Operation Desert Shield, early 1991. I'm on the right.

[​IMG]

The omega, Kabul Airfield, 2012, in Afghanistan.

[​IMG]

EvanPC, dave294, Roberteaux and 15 others like this.
  8. Platte City Paul

That gave me a smile. :) We were at Fort Lewis in the early 2000s. We loved it out there.

9. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

Powerful, well written and brutally honest Colonel.

SteveGangi, dave b, Harmony and 4 others like this.
  10. Platte City Paul

Greg, is that Hohenfels in Germany? Those are T-55s, and remind me of the ones the Threat Weapons guys from 7th Army had.

Kris Ford and Sct13 like this.
  11. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Absolutely the most beautiful land I have ever visited so far in my life! The air is crisp and clean from the constant rain, Mt Rainier always in the distance. Went to the park one day too! Found a footpath of the beaten track and not fenced off that took me to a precipice that looked down for what seemed like miles! Just yawning out in front of me. The tree tops and cars in the distance were mere dots in the distance. Like what you would see from an airplane... I had to fight the strange urge to just let myself fall forward and enjoy the free fall..
    Just one slip or relax of the leg muscle and i'd have been on my way... Yeah, that close. it was a strangely intoxicating feeling. And I'm not suicidal at all.

C'mon! How do compete with that (outside maybe the Swiss Alps?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    +10:thumb::applause:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Most all my old pics burnt up in a fire -- ironic, because I was an Air Force firefighter, 89-93, Desert Storm.

File issues prevent my posting them now, but if I can work those out I will.

DarrellV, Kris Ford and El Pablo like this.
  13. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

Finishing 6 years as a UAS operator in the Army and going terminal next month. Loved the first 3 years, absolutely despised the last 3 at this toxic leadership dump.

[​IMG]

14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I salute you all.

15. KP

KP Senior Member

My rather boring story can be told in a few words. Sworn in on New Years Eve then immediate 3 day pass. Basic Ft Dix and MP school Ft Gordon. Went by boat to Okinawa. Few weeks later sent to a small south eastern country. Left there 11 months later. Germany Sep 1965. Sent back to states for discharge Dec 1967. Despised the organization but loved most of the guys I was with. A few have "passed" since then and that saddens my heart.

16. DarrellV

He says boring.....
    He says 'in a few words'....

You have a profound gift of understatement, sir, and I deeply respect that..:bowdown

From what you posted in my MLP Vets thread a while back I remember your family story reads like a who's who in Military service down through the generations, yet he comes in with this humble declaration..:wow:

You, sir... and your fore runners are a credit to the whole damm#d history of this country! :applause:

It may just be one man's opinion, but we fought for the right to say it!

Thank you KP, and everyone else who's service makes mine pale by comparison!

17. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

This thread has really intrigued me today. It's a tough thing to share some of this personal history. This thread has posts that range from being proud to downright shame.
    I've found myself reminiscing today (a good thing) and am glad Kris started this. Even more impressive is the contributions all of you have made to it. There's some powerful stuff on here.

I consider myself honored to have spent 4 years in an Army Airborne Infantry unit based out of Ft. Benning. We pt'd hard, trained hard, and fought hard when the opportunity arose.

A fellow NCO was KIA in 93 and I visited his father the year I left the Army in 95. It was quite the transition and we discussed it. He said "Randy, when you talk about this stuff people will typically think 1 of 3 things. They'll think your either whinning, lying, or bragging because they cannot relate to it." Made a lot of sense back then, particularly at a time between the Gulf War and before 9/11.

Thanks again and maybe today is just the start of this.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  18. DarrellV

All you need to do is look at the TV to see the types of 'swine' these pearls would be wasted on. In that context his father is right. Most of the world is caught up in a 3 x 6 inch screen in front of their faces and pursuing their own personal rush and anyone else be damm#d.

Like I mentioned above I started a meet the MLP Vets as my first post when I joined last year and I was FLOORED at the hidden goldmine of distinguished vets that lurks right in here among us and you would almost never know. Just good, good people with a common interest in guitars and goofiness!

To me it has been something new every day for almost a year now. The things people know and know how to do. The knowledge base alone is worth the price of admission.

But to those who have an ear, and listen, there are just fathoms of personalities and realms of stories just waiting to be discovered.

This place reminds me of a real Neverending Story. Only instead of a Falcor, we have a Frogfur! LOL!

Sorry, I'm a bit of a romantic fiction writer when I get going. But you must know what I'm saying..

Kris Ford, Sct13 and ramaglia375 like this.
  19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

If I could find it(it's on a cassette)you could have it. Not even sure where that might be, but I have them taking incoming rockets.
    I'll look around.

Kris Ford and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  20. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Frankly, a less ignominious way to go than the way mine did (and all three of my Dad's)... dissected with cutting torches in a skanky breakers' yard to make razor blades and Chevy bodies. When it's time to go, go like a Viking!