MLP Veterans Thread

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Kris Ford, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

In past times the duce and a half was known as a rough ride.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    DarrellV, Kris Ford and S. Rock like this.
  2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Fire watch ribben in the Corps

SteveGangi, Kris Ford and S. Rock like this.
  3. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I have some of that attack radio traffic on tape a Special Forces,aquantance gave me that he personally got on station.

Kris Ford and Soul Tramp like this.
  4. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

outstanding

5. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Did you get your Shell Back Card ?

Kris Ford likes this.
  6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Semper Fi Marine..

Kris Ford likes this.
  7. dave b

dave b Senior Member

Never crossed the equator , but still got my card from crossing the Arctic Circle in 82.

SteveGangi, Kris Ford and Frogfur like this.
  8. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

I loved my time in the USN. I primarily served as a linguist in counter narcotics. While I have since enjoyed a very comfortable lifestyle as a "civi-puke", I doubt I'll ever find the half of the purpose or camaraderie that was so rewarding in the military.

Just because I enlisted, I don't consider myself special. That being said, I new at an early age that I would have to serve one day.

I endured NO hardships, so all I can do is humbly salute those who have sacrificed and suffered. It may sound strange, but I actually have guilt for the cushy position (by comparison to many) that I had.

Still, I can proudly say that I had a direct hand in bringing down some of the world's largest South American Cartels. What an honor that was.

9. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

What in the name of a luminous dashboard effigy in a grass skirt is THAT?

They look like R2D2's mutant hillbilly-droid exercise-yard basketball-playing cousins..

SteveGangi, DarrellV and Kris Ford like this.
  10. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

started active duty 10 Mar 71. went to Fort Polk for Basic Training. left there for AIT at Fort Gordon for Military Police School. was sent to Germany at a Nike Hercules Missile Site. I was there for almost 3 years. when I left, I was the Asst Security NCO and the CBR/NBC NCO of the unit. I ETS'd 3 Jun 74. the day I left the unit my Platoon Leader(2nd Lt) said to me, "you're pretty "short" aren't you Sergeant ?" I looked at him and said, "today". we both smiled.

11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

GREAT post guys!! :D :D
    [​IMG]

12. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

This is both interesting and very unfortunate.

With all the social media and "wounded warrior" type groups, is there no "place" (for lack of a better term, sorry) for her? I would think a Vietnam organization would be very intrigued with her experience and welcome her. Especially considering a female vet with a very unique background. Then again, maybe not...
    That being said I have no experience with organizations and hesitant to get involved with any.

As for you buddy, we all have regrets. I tried damn hard to live a life without them, but...
    But IMHO, yours is quite noble bro

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  13. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

Star Wars Dave, Star Wars! Come on man!

Kris Ford and DarrellV like this.
  14. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

New Technology Brings Star Wars–Style Desert Moisture Farming a Step Closer
    Scientists have found a way to pull water from the air using only energy from the sun

[​IMG]
    Star Wars moisture ‘vaporators’. Credit: Véronique Debord-Lazaro Flickr (CC BY-SA)
    The following essay is reprinted with permission from The Conversation, an online publication covering the latest research.

Luke Skywalker wasn’t just a farmer. In the original 1977 Star Wars film, the lead character was desperate to leave his home planet of Tatooine, where his family farmed moisture from the atmosphere using devices called “vaporators”. In the planet’s hot and dry desert landscape, moisture farming was an important activity for survival.

But could this principle of drawing moisture from the air to provide drinking water work in the real world? Researchers and I are working on technology to turn it from science fiction into reality. And now a new study has demonstrated how one device could work even in dry desert conditions using only the power of the sun.

15. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Premium Member

16. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

And for good reason! If they had a suspension system in them, you couldn't tell by riding in them!

Of course working in Combat Support for the whole Battalion we had our share of them to deal with..

And Jeeps by the score! No Hummers yet, those were on the horizon. The yard next to ours even had dune buggys which looked cool as heck! Some kind of new quick assault project they were working on. Don't know if they still use them..

ARTEP and field exercises were always the most fun! Only time we got to get out of the motor pool garage!

Nothing more fun then waking up in the early morning while the dew is still heavy on the grass and the air is heavy with moisture and the smell of the forest. Sun beaming down and heating everything up to steaming... and there is a shout at your tent.....

'Hey D! Get up! CSC has a duce-and-a-half they need you too look at!'

'Can't it wait, what's the hurry... Be right there.'

Pull on clothes jump out into the bright sun and sticky air.. Ground is wet as if it rained, grass is tall. Trudge through being careful to watch for slugs..

Oh, you think I'm kidding! These things still give me nightmares! If you've never been to Washington and seen these foot long dog turd looking slugs for yourself, you cannot appreciate how gross they really are.

Nothing like low crawling through the grass and planting your elbow on one, or slipping on one and going down from the slide!

You should see how they paint your house overnight with inch wide trails of shining slime. I've seen them parked in the driveway next to my car, also covered in slime trails...

[​IMG]

So I find the truck in question and hop up into the cab to find out what the issue is.

Turns out some one has gotten their LBE (Ammo Belt) wrapped around the drive shaft, which is showing through the floor!

Now my notoriously big mouth goes into gear and I start demanding answers! How did this truck get here? Who signed off on it? Why is it even out of the motor pool without the cover over the opening in the floor?

I knew the truck, of course. It was left behind on purpose and some idiot went back and got it!

Then I start ranting about what kind of an idiot pulls a stunt like that and allows his ammo belt to fall into the rotating drive shaft!

'That's pretty F'in stupid! Who's the moron!'

Then I hear from behind me, out on the grass next to the open door of the truck a soft voice...

'That would be my belt. D..'

I turn around quickly ready to rip a$$ and it's the Lieutenant from the support battalion! :eek2:

Oh, sh!t! :facepalm:

My brain shuffles my options really quick, and realizing there is no sense even trying to deny what I just said and just look at him and say..

'Sorry, Sir! But you have to admit it was a pretty stupid thing to do!' :laugh2:

He was a really cool guy and I wished he was our BMO at times.. He smiled and laughed it off graciously. I explained that I was glad no one, including himself, had gotten hurt or killed from it and how unsafe it was to even have that vehicle out here.

Yup! Me and my BIIG mouth! :rofl:

17. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Premium Member

Seems like she'd be the perfect one to write a book on this. Might be cathartic for the PTSD as well. Thanks to her for the risks she took!

18. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Agreed. I'd read it

SteveGangi and Kris Ford like this.
  19. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Yes a T 72 or T 64 I don't remember it was in 78 or so.... mearmy2.jpg

20. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

You two could write a book about it (you get to be the stenographer, editor and listener). Seriously. It might very well be cathartic for her. I would do it with the assistance of a mental health pro who specializes in PTSD.