MLP Group Buy 'n Build Pedal Project

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by V!N, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Don't recall 100% which one it was but I remember it was stacked chip. I've got it in the parts bin so I'll have to check. It's midnight here.

Just got back in from the hospital. Oklahoma lost again so I'm still in shock. :wow::wow:

Mookakian likes this.
  2. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Well, i have been getting some cool splat tones with the trim pot up a little and the fat right up, like OD splat not fuzz splatt, I need to experiment this one further, stacked with a fuzz it does some strange things with the V!NBEERDOG verging splatty mode ;)

Any tips as to installing a charge pump to keep her safe, its a nice pedal and i feel its already lost something, maybe due to all my tweaking :hmm: Im sure with the right chip and bias i'll get it back to normal but still i;d like to get some protection and peace of mind if possible?

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Hey, any one having troubles with their Boost, when I pull the fat knob past 3 O'clock she dies on me, I have the trim knob right up though never had the prob. before, any ideas? Still works fine if the fat knob is below a certain point but i am not gettin much juice this way :(

I have not tried chips yet either, were planing to when this came about (the pedal lies solo in the chain too)

I really liked this pedal, shame if i cant fix. It was my fav boost :D

4. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Maybe adjust the bias a little via the internal trim pot. If that doesn't work, I'll see about sending you another chip to get it back working again if you can't procure one locally.

1 person likes this.
  5. Joe Dirty

Joe Dirty Senior Member

6. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

What did you find?

7. Joe Dirty

Joe Dirty Senior Member

I'm looking for a blues type pedal and came across the mars bluesbreaker. Really like it. I missed out on a BD-2 modded last night as I hear the unmodded ones can have too much gain. Wanting to add a noise gate as well either by rocktron or mxr.

8. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

So its likely just the chip? If so that I can handle, i have a few others here i were going to try so i'll see how that goes. Thanks Josh :)

9. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

It could be. I did have one of that batch go dead on me after about a week. Figured it was just from where I was plugging in that day.

10. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

No, the unmodded ones sound like a fuzzbox and distortion pedal in one...which makes it sounds all sorts of fizzy and lacks and articulable depth.

Now the modded ones, those can more than hold their own with all the boutique and hot rodded pedals out there.

11. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Beerdog80, do you refer to the original B-Brakers or the recent line from Marshall?

12. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Actually neither...I just realized he was talking about the Marshall pedals. I thought he was talking about the BD-2. I'm a bit slow this week. :D

That said, a few tweaks to the older Marshall pedals really turn them into little boxes of devil sound. Those are some seriously cool pedals.

I haven't touched the new ones. I think I saw a gut shot of one and it was all SMT stuff.

1 person likes this.
  13. adamajah

adamajah Senior Member

Somehow I didn't see this sticky until now. Is the MLP/V!N boost kit still available, and is it suitable for a beginner? I've been looking for a pedal project to get my feet wet and this sounds like a great one.

Tried PM'ing V!N but your inbox is full!

:)

14. Batman

Batman Senior Member

I don't want to speak for V!N but he hasn't posted in over 2 years.

I don't think this kit is available any longer. . .

15. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

V!N's been busy with his thing over the pond for quite a bit. I chat with him via email once in a while and he is doing good and sends his regards to everyone.

I actually bought several boards when they were cleared out for future tinkering but I'm actually out of the country as well doing 'my thing' till around March.

Hit me up again after April and I'll take care of it.

16. Trubble888

Trubble888 Senior Member

I also want to get my feet wet and build a pedal. Any suggeestions for a first project or resources for me? Im not the brightest bulb lol but I want to try

17. Batman

Batman Senior Member

I've had good success with GGG (General Guitar Gadgets) kits.

Well layed out, decent sized solder traces and very good instructions.

1 person likes this.
  18. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

I really wish I could have been a part of this project. I heard that a few guys here were starting a new project a while ago, but I don't know how far they went with it.

19. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Well, I've been SMOKING damn busy since this project and so has V!N. I'm currently in 'another country' at this particular moment so until spring time, I wont be able to do anything.

However, I'm looking at taking a different position in Florida or Colorado (haven't decided which yet) so I'll have more time too. Then, we can talk pedals. :thumb:

3 people like this.
  20. TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo The Guitar Whisperer Premium Member

I just bought a "Beerdog" "Red Eye Rat" pedal...Looks great...:)..

2 people like this.