MLP Group Buy 'n Build Pedal Project

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by V!N, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Where is he ^ (/v!n I want to send him a little tip for the pedal if you want to tell him for me :)

2. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

I've been in Arizona and Southern Nevada for a bit. I was supposed to head to Florida next month but I put a stop to that one. Need a break.

I should change my name to Road dog. It's more fitting. :)

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Member

Anyone know Vins Paypal/mail address? I still need him to slip him some beermoney! :eek:

4. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

PM'd. :thumb:

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Member

Hmm I made a payment on monday, but it hasn't been claimed yet...:hmm:

6. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Drop him a reminder email so he see it's. Maybe PayPal didn't notify him of a payment.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Member

I PM'd him there was a payment waiting as well. Nothing yet...

8. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

Just a quick update. I have not used this pedal a lot since finishing it, but last night I was rehearsing with a friend who is a singer and acoustic strummer type. My job is to add some freshness to a really over done sound. I have found that my strat blends well through my tweed champ. However, when I went to take a solo (pedal-less), I could not get a nice clean but beefy tone. I remembered this pedal and grabbed it out of the drawer and it was the perfect tool for the job! The notes stayed clean but were big with nice texture! Sweet!

9. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Hell ya! That's what we like to hear! :thumb::thumb:

10. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

^Mine is at a mates, trying to get it back for a while but now the bastards gone to the snow...cheeky bugger(he's a good egg:)) I do miss it, and nigels recent talk of neck pickup/amp up/guitar down echoplex page tone has me itching for it BAD:hyper:

11. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Huh? Care to elaborate? Or post a link? :hmm: Thanks Mook.:)

12. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

I read a thread here recently where the idea was to build a boost circuit into a guitar to be activated by switch on the guitar. Forgot what thread that was though.

13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

14. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Got her back yesterday:) And i dont think ill be lending again, this is a very cool rig that shimmers up the tone nicely. Good job BD and V!N;)

15. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Our pleasure man. :thumb:

16. will c

will c Senior Member

Gentlemen,

I can finally say that after many months on the back burner I have finally finished building the MLP Boost! And it worked the first time with zero debugging!! I'll be honest, I kept quiet about this being my first PCB pedal build but it was a rather easy (yet tedious) venture. Thanks to all who helped this along, especally V!N and Beerdog. You guys are awesome. I will hopefully report back soon after I have had some time to hear it cranked (didn't want to wake the babies tonight). For the time being, I will post the pics I took tonight during the final stretch (I populated the board months ago). Anyways, peace!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

^ Looks clean, congrats!

I found another really good use for this little monster, i threw an eq switch on jonesy's fuzz (Red Russian) running either the stock .022 or a now new .1uf cap at the begining of the circuit.

On the .1uf it was full of warmth and drive to die for but lacked that bit of life and was producing dull high freq's, just needed some air.

So i threw the EP boost after it and set the dials on her to suit the fuzz, before i knew it i had a vintage fuzz tone to be reckoned with.

If you find a nice ballsy tone but just need to liven it up a little, throw the EP boost after your dirt and dial it in.

In this case its easy to go a bit nuts with the fat knob on the right of the MLP boost, i think less can be more, pull it back a little and use a little more volume with the level knob to balance your output, maybe not though :D

A little delay on this set up was insane! Need wah :naughty:

18. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Dude, that KILLS for a first time build. I've seen guys who are 'pro' come out with pedals that don't look nearly as clean.

Excellent work bro! You can see the marks I made for the trim pot so you can go back to 'stock' but I have mine dime'd just for kicks. :)

19. will c

will c Senior Member

Thanks Josh, that means a lot coming from you. I have rewired several guitars and have made a loop volume pedal for my Mesa F-30, but as I said above, this was my first PCB. I found it fun and challenging and slightly addicting. I've been looking a BYOC's website...I'm thinking a Fuzzface clone so I can mimic me some more Eric Johnson tones. :naughty:

I forgot, what parameter does the trimpot adjust?

I will bare all and show a pic of the underside of the board. I would like some pointers as some of the soldering looks less than ideal (in my mind). I read somewhere that it is better to trim the component leads before soldering, but after a few shorter-than-ideal leads, I caved and soldered first and then trimmed. The thing sounds great though with a low noise floor (unless dimed). I read that somebody heard a whooshing sound when adjusting the "fat" knob. I do experience this but I wont be adjusting this thing live so that is not a setback for me. I just figured it was a dirty pot or something.

Anyway, the pic is a little out of focus, but it's the only one I have at this point. I did scrub the bottom of the board with alcohol and a toothbrush to clean off the flux and solder "bubbles" so it looks a lot cleaner than this pic portrays.

[​IMG]

20. will c

will c Senior Member

I forgot to ask... any suggestions for securing the board inside of the enclosure? Right now it is dependent on the pot wires' stiffness keeping it from grounding out on the pot casings.