MLP Group Buy 'n Build Pedal Project

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by V!N, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

that's pretty cool!

2. V!N

V!N Senior Member

That's one more builder, great ! Thank you very much for the suggestion, but that would be too much of an honour. :) I'm just the conductor while the composer and musicians are doing the real work. :)

The composer - my supplier for the PCB's - has received the prototype for the new double sided boards and is now working on the fine tuning. He's also trying out a couple of mods. One of these is a trimpot that will allow us to set the bias for the JFET.
    As soon as he's done tweaking, I should have a definitive bill of materials and I can get more accurate quotes.

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Hows the project going guys, getting closer?

4. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Still working with the prototype and tweaking the values of the parts.
    Hopefully, there will be something new to report pretty soon.

5. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

omg omg omg omg :wow:

whens the dead line V!N?

6. V!N

V!N Senior Member

No deadline yet. The Beerdog will be out of town the first two weeks in September for a baseball tournament, so it'll be somewhere after that.

I should know enough about the new version of the PCB and the mods to the original schematic within a week, tops. I should also receive a drill template for the mini-enclosures (Hammand 1590A) by then.

After that, it's time to compose a new bill of materials, get new quotes from the suppliers and then we can get on with it.

7. hellraiser_666

hellraiser_666 Senior Member

oh cool, ill wait around and might jump in later on when i get the coins togehter

8. will c

will c Senior Member

I'm very interested in this but should double-check my coin before committing. Keep me (us) posted on the final deadline in mid-to-late September. :thumb:

Will

9. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Beerdog80 is having a good time at a baseball tournament. Meanwhile, the prototype of the new PCB is still being tweaked with mods to the schematic. So let's use that time to talk enclosures !
    Those of you who want it a Hammond 1590A (mini enclosure) will have to wait for a bit, until I have a drill template to work with. As you can imagine, it's rather tight in there so I want to be sure everything fits. You can check out all the colours and get inspired about what you want on the label.

The supplier for the enclosures will be Pedal Parts Plus

You can order them in many sizes to fit your project, drilled to your specifications or one of their generic templates and finished in many, many really cool colours. They're expanding the shop with a nice selection parts as well in order to become a full one-stop-shop.

The prices are already really low for the kind of work that Kirk and Connie Midkiff put into this. Therefore, discounts only apply to big orders of at least 50 enclosures. Since it's going to be full price for us then, we don't have to order a uniform batch of all the exact same pedals. You can choose which enclosure you want, which colour and you will receive it drilled and painted with your kit. There's an enclosure for every use and every budget. Most suitbale for our project are the MXR sized one if you want the option to bring it along with a battery inside or the mini if you're going to use it with a power supply and want to save the precious space on your pedal board.

They offer standard, premium and custom finishes, with several optional brushed looks. Some enclosures are available in polished high gloss aluminium. You could also choose to just get a raw and bare drilled one if want to go get a very special finish elsewhere.

Enclosure Finishes: Our very own Beerdog80 !

My trusty right hand, the treasurer and packager on this project. Now, he's giving even more to make this project even better ! You may have seen some work on pedals. Not just the electronics, but especially the way he finishes the enclosures.
    If your budget is tight, he can apply a decal and clear coat on a finished pedal from Pedal Parts Plus. If you want something really special, you could get a raw bare aluminium drilled enclosure from PPP and then let the Beerdog perform his magic on it. Giving it the kind of treatment that the slickest Hot Rods are getting !

Check out the Hot Rod colours that are available at House of Kolor.

You may choose one from the Solid Kolors, Graphic Kolors, Glamour Metallics, Designer Pearls and Kandy Basecoats. The others are very labour intensive and / or very expensive. On top of that, would you step on it ? :p This is what the Dog himself said about the other paints:
    "Neons, Marblilzers, Kameleons and such are REALLY expensive and I would have a hard time letting someone step on this all day. :) I did one with Kameleon (along with my car) but I couldn't even bring myself to step on it !

Decal Design: V!N

In a time when companies still had money to spend on design and advertising, I was employed as an art director. It's been a while, so I might be a bit rusty, but I'd say I'm still capable of designing a decal for your enclosure. ;)
    You may have seen some of my digital sketches in this thread: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pedals/103820-retro-channel-retro-wreck-amp-pedal-form.html
    Later today, I will be posting the label I designed for my own pedal in this project. I will offer this service to you for free, but donations will be appreciated. :)

Do realize that the decal is a transparent sheet with ink or toner on it that goes over the colour of the pedal. Therefore, light lettering on a dark pedal will not work. Imagine putting a sheet of black paper in your printer and then printing a bit of text on it in red, yellow, black, etc. It just won't show up. If you don't want a label your pedal, choose whatever colour appeals to you !

New Sensor Corporation 1290NS (MXR size)
    copy of the Hammond 1590B
    6 holes drilled

[​IMG]

base
    $ 8.75 raw bare aluminium

finish upcharge 1
    $ 2.25 PPP standard colour (use the "< Previous" and "Next >" buttons at the bottom of the page to browse)
    $ 2.65 PPP premium colour (use the "< Previous" and "Next >" buttons at the bottom of the page to browse)
    $ 5.30 PPP custom colour (use the "< Previous" and "Next >" buttons at the bottom of the page to browse)

$ 4.60 PPP polished bare aluminium A polished one won't be painted, but I'd advise you let Beerdog80 put a clear coat on it to prevent the aluminium from oxidizing. Decals can be applied.

finish upcharge 2
    $ 5.00 PPP Brushed look for Translucent paints Only
    $ 5.00 PPP Diamond-shaped brushed look for Translucent paints Only

finish upcharge 3
    $ 6.00 Decal and clearcoat applied by Beerdog80 over a PPP fihished enclosure

Beerdog80's "The Works" option
    The dogs' ! Airbrushed with several layers of paint that you'll normally find on the finest hot rods, then labelled with a decal and and finished with a nice and durable clear coat, all done by our very own Beerdog80 !

$ still out on that, probably somewhere between $ 15.00 and $ 25.00

Decal designed by V!N
    $ 0.00 Free for all MLP builders ! But donations will be appreciated. :)

10. V!N

V!N Senior Member

This year, my favourite brand of cars is celebrating its 100th anniversary. These cars are very special to me and my family, so I decided to give my pedal an Alfa theme. :) For the volume, I duplicated the dial of the rev counter from the Alfa 33. My father went through three different types of 33's, a 33 was my sister's first car and even my first car was a 33 !
    The LED is where the logo would be on the grill of a 33, the "Cuore Sportivo" or "Sportive Heart" in English.

The Beerdog will put an excellent House of Kolor Kandy Basecoat on it, KBC11 Apple Red to be precise. That's as close to the anniversary colour I will get without dipping going over to Italy and ask if they could spray it for me.

Since this is a darker shade of red, I didn't put any colour in my text and illustrations, just black line art. If you choose a light colour, full colour photographs are even an option ! Just pick a colour and think of a theme, let me know a couple of things you'd like to see on there and I'll translate your wishes into a design.

Here's what my pedal will look like. :)

[​IMG]

11. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

V!n, where do you get your pedal layouts? They look so cool.

12. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Thank you, :dude: I draw them myself in adobe Illustrator.

13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I gota get in on this, how do i go about signing up for one? Just let me know and im in. Great work on the pedal guys!

14. will c

will c Senior Member

Hey V!N, I had a question about the EP-3 pre-amp. Is it only engaged when the boost is on? It might be cool to have a 3-way (on/on/on) mini-switch somewhere on the pedal where we could turn on the EP-3 circuit (say if we wanted it on all the time) and then boost our level as need be, turn it off and just have a "clean" boost, or, just engage it when the boost is activated. I'm not sure this is even possible, but just a thought that I had earlier today.

Will

15. V!N

V!N Senior Member

As it looks now, It'll just be a simple on/off booster, taking the preamp circuitry from the EP-3 and then adding some tweaks and true bypass switching to it.

I made a deal with my parts supplier that we're going to order at least ten of exactly the same bags of parts. This is an easy to process batch for them, so we can get a discount.
    You could get some extra parts yourself and modify it. The easiest way to get what you're suggesting is an added footswitch that will let you choose between two different volumes, less than ten parts extra will be enough for such switching circuitry with LED indicator.

There's no discount on enclosures, so we don't have to order a uniform batch. You can get a larger one with more holes drilled if you like. As long as you're willing to pay. ;)

16. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Member

Sonnafa...I promised myself no-more-gear this year...

Count me in for another '78 Plexifier

17. V!N

V!N Senior Member

When the new PCB and tweaked schematic are ready, I'll have less time to design a label for you. Just pick a colour from Beerdog's "House of Kolor" Hot Rod paintshop or one from Pedal Parts Plus and. Then let me know the theme you'd like to see on your pedal and I'll get on it.
    Also if you want the 1590A mini enclosure, just let me know a colour and theme so I can start making some sketches. That will speed up things once I get the drill template.

With Ricochet, we have twelve people who are in and two who are still thinking about it. Sadly, experience taught us that not everybody who says they are will actually still be in when it's time to pay. So we could really use some more folks on this ! Then, we'll have a bit of a buffer and still reach the minimum number of ten required for a discount.

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Member

Why not ask for a deposit? Like 10 bucks? Nothing that will break the bank, but it might just be the incentive to follow through?

[edit] Mine will be a predrilled 1290NS(1590B)/polished/NO clear coat. I'm doing the Moollon thing.

19. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

Thanks, you do a great job for just hand drawing them!

at first I thought it was some professional program!

20. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Im happy to deposit 20 bucks, you guys have done your homework on this one. V!N, are you taking illustration designs? I could make some drafts up if you like, not sure how you will apply them to the box but im happy to send a file or two ;)