MLP Group Buy 'n Build Pedal Project

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by V!N, Jun 26, 2010.

1. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

So that's 7! There must be at least 3 more out there!!!

2. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

Looks like a good project. I'll think hard about this one...

3. V!N

V!N Senior Member

I'm very pleased to announce that Beerdog80 will be the treasurer and packager for this project ! :applause:

Also, a big thank your for Led Zep Fan, who was kind enough to make this a sticky. :thumb:

Pictures of various things and a schematic soon ! :dude:

4. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Always glad to help out fellow forum members when I can!

5. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Woohoo!

We still need a few more people, don't we?

6. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

I would need to know the final cost before I can commit. :(

7. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

Count me in. You can't go wrong with V!N

But one thing, I have NEVER made and/or modded a pedal before. the only technology skills I have is with computers....

8. ledlover01

ledlover01 Senior Member

this would be cool if it happened.Ive been wanting to build a pedal for the longest time now,ive been fooling around with my Danelectro pedal for a while now.

9. V!N

V!N Senior Member

I was expecting somewhere between 10 and 20 tinkerers on this forum, I might have to do a little cross-posting soon to wake up the rest. :) I'll await some updates from my suppliers and then I plan on typing a big post with pictures, schematics, links, etc. I might be able to be a bit more specific about the actual cost by then as well. For now, the estimate of something between US$ 60 and US$ 80 still stands.
    I call that a bargain for a complete kit of a project you can't get at the regular kit stores. :) It will include a drilled and powdercoated enclosure in an exciting colour ! :thumb:

Ten people is the minimum, but certainly not the maximum. It might be unwise to start everything once our group has reached ten. Experience taught me that not everybody who is "in" on such projects will actually pay up when the time is there.
    Parking ticket, leaky sink, dried out plants in the garden... Somebody always has a reason to let the group down. If we have a bit more aboard, we'll still meet the minimum requirement of ten by the time it's ready to pay.

Thanks man ! :dude: Though the project is relatively simple and has a low parts-count, I'm not sure it's the right project to learn how to solder small parts on a PCB.
    If you know you're handy, patient, dedicated and you have the right tools for the job, you might give it a shot. Think about it for a while. :)

10. Guitar Freak

ok, But I'm pretty sure I don't have the right stuff for the job. do you know of any place I could find them? which ones should I need?

11. greenalbatross

greenalbatross Senior Member

You could always just go to Radio Shack if you want to get something cheap before committing to a nice solder station. Pick up a 15-30 watt iron with a pencil tip,solder(go with regular old solder, not the lead free),tip cleaner, wire stripper/cutter and desoldering braid. If and when you decide to step it up, Xytronic make affordable and really nice soldering stations. Analog Mike uses a now discontinued Xytronic 379.

12. Guitar Freak

Thank ya!

13. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

Come on guys!!! Let's make this happen!!!

14. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Maybe putting this as a sticky in other sections that attract more attention would be a good idea...

15. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Bump! :)

16. ynot

ynot Member

Any chance of this fitting in a mini enclosure like the Xotic EP pedal?

17. V!N

V!N Senior Member

The PCB will fit in a Hammond 1590A. The pot is PCB mounted, so you don't have to worry about it dangling about in the enclosure and shorting out on you. I have no drill template for the 1590A, so you'll have to do that yourself. The template I have is for the MXR-sized 1590B, or the economic copies of the same size. This will allow you to run it on a battery as well.

I'm awaiting a few more replies before I can start calculating prices for entire kits with various options, including shipping. Then it's time to spam up the place in other sub-fora and social groups. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

NICE! I like tiny pedals!!!

19. SludgeBurns

SludgeBurns Senior Member

Count me in if it's not too late :thumb:

20. V!N

V!N Senior Member

You're well on time, welcome aboard ! :)

I got a nice brief update:

I might be able to get a drill template for a 1590A ! Then you good people will be able to choose between the two sizes posted above. All enclosures will be drilled and you can choose between some very neat options for finishing and labelling.

Speaking of labelling, what would you lot reckon is a good name for this pedal ? Then I'll see if I can come up with a nice design for a label.