MLP Group Buy: Dirt pedal

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Beerdog80, Feb 5, 2013.

Which dirt clone do you want?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2013.
  1. ZenDrive

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Rat

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Fulldrive

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Alright folks, even though a few people made references to a DMM, not enough actually came forward and said they would take part of it so unfortunately, it’s off the table for discussion.

So, it's back to DIRT! :thumb: The specific mods will be discussed AFTER a specific pedal is selected so please don’t ask “if X option is available” until after the specific pedal is selected, then we will move forward with any ideas on mods.

Take the poll above and let me know which way to go forward. I'm counting anything that is dirt related in the poll. One thing I must stress, is this dirt will be one of the above. If you say you are in for the build, please don't back out. Be sure you are in before stepping forward.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

If you have questions, please reply below. If you are IN FOR THE BUILD, please use the little 'thank you for the useful post' button below so I can track who exactly is in for it. This is vital as this will help us judge exactly what we are going to do with this build and how much the end cost will be.

We need at least 15 people to jump in. The more the better and the more the cheaper! If you do not have the ability to build your own pedal and have no prior experience, I will build it for you and ship a ready to go unit right to you for $15 on top of the build cost.

Options:
    As with the MLP Boost build, a lot of folks liked the idea of having some custom details added to include custom painting and decals instead of a bare case. To custom paint and decal a pedal will run $10 per box. All paints are from House of Kolor. I would prefer if you supply your own template and design so all I have to do is slap it on and call it a day. If I have to do it all for you there might be small fees incurred but they will be minimal.

Here is a link to click though to see the previous pedals we made for the Boost build and a few others I've built that I put in this folder for good measure.

Pedals Photos by Beerdog1980 | Photobucket

Password: Pedals

Prices:
    On base figures, the total cost will be somewhere in this ballpark:

Unfinished and unassembled DIY kit: $65-75
    Assembled kit but unfinished enclosure (as in bare metal): $80-95
    Assembled and painted kit: $90-105
    Painted enclosure but unassembled kit: $75-85

All prices include USPS insured shipping in the US. Prices will vary a bit for those of you who are outside the US. I also have to require you pay for insurance costs for overseas shipping. That’s to protect all of us in the event one gets lost in the mail or held by customs.

I'm leaving this thread up for ten days. After the 15th, I will compile the actual pedal to be built and the price listings for it. Payment for the pedals will need to be in between March 15th and April 1st as I would like to order the kits by then. Of course the dates might flex a bit but I would very much like to order the kit no later than the 15th.

I will also be doing a blog posting type thing for this that I will put on my website (link to follow later) so folks can see the steps I take to building their specific pedal. Folks seemed to really enjoy that idea last go around so I would like to expand on that idea a bit. :D

Further details:If you have little or no experience in building pedals but you want to get started with this project, please read this link. TONS of information concerning tools, tricks, tips and other general knowledge concerning pedal building.

Build Your Own Clone Message Board • View topic - Stephen's tips for a successful build

2. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

*earmarked for future posting*

3. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

I'm voting Zendrive because of the 3, that's the one I've never had. However, I am in for whatever we choose.

2 people like this.
  4. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Ditto to this.

I'm in. :thumb:

5. socialhero

socialhero Senior Member

I've never had a zendrive either.

I'm in too! :thumb:

6. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Man...after watching this video, HELL YES the Zendrive gets my vote!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xaLMtSozM]Hermida Audio Zendrive Pedal - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  7. Kalz

Kalz Senior Member

Gimme that ZenDrive :thumb: What pedal dimension for the box are you using? I'm gonna try to come up with a decal.

8. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

1590B polished enclosure is my favorite one to use as with decals, that superflat surface gives it a much better look and fit. The raw ones always have pits that show up looking like bubbles under a decaled finish and having to either fill the pits or put a ton of build coats on the thing is a PITA.

Here is a link to one.

Polished Enclosure

9. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

And personally, the Zen is my favorite 'boutique' type drive. I've made several of them and most have found their way into hands of members here. Hopefully they will chime in at some point. They really sound amazing.

This thread will be a sticky at somepoint when the mods catch my PM. It's still early. :)

4 people like this.
  10. yawny

yawny Senior Member

Personally my pick is the Fulldrive because i love Fulltone's pedals and a guitarist i like (Lincoln Parish) uses on in his rig, but i'm going to have my Strat build finished in the summer and so the Zendrive fits as well.

Quite frankly i'm up for any build that i don't have to source the parts for and paint :laugh2:

Hope we can get the DMM build started up one of these days.

11. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

I wouldn't count on it. It's a shame but thats just the way it goes. I actually expected way more people to be in for it but I guess all you other guys use rack mount stuff. :D

12. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

In!

Zendrive is my vote, but as many others I'll be in either way.

2 people like this.
  13. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

be sure to "thank" the post so I can keep an accurate track of the total count. I'm not going to comb through individual posts looking for folks who want it. :thumb: I'm old and slow...I'll miss it. :D

1 person likes this.
  14. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

The ZenDrive is an easy choice for me. Besides loving the tones, here are some other considerations:

There are a bunch of RATs and clones out there, not so many ZenDrive clones. ZenDrives go for $200 new. With Alf Hermida missing in action, you presently can't get them new, and their future is in doubt. The 'best' clones (Zenkudo/Dumkudo) are about $320, shipped from Japan. So, an assembled and painted ZenDrive clone for ~$100? Cool!

5 people like this.
  15. vj6pac

vj6pac Senior Member

Im keen where can i find more info on each of the kits?

16. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

umm...here?:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  17. yawny

yawny Senior Member

Hmm, maybe we can work something out on a little smaller scale sometime after this group build :hmm:

(Came into a little extra money and figured "why not look at some old DMMs". $450 average. ouch :shock:)

18. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Once this build is said and done, we can look into that.

1 person likes this.
  19. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I'm in for that one as well, for the record. :naughty:

1 person likes this.
  20. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

No Texans allowed. Can't barter and trade with my natural enemy. :thumb:

1 person likes this.