MLP Bartlett Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by alk-3, Jan 18, 2011.

1. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

Hey everyone!
    It’s been a while since I built anything and shared the process here on the forum, so I thought now is as good a time as any!
    I’m about to start building a guitar so I thought I’d document it as well as I can, and share the process. I am very lucky in that I have access to some great machinery collected over the years. I started out in woodworking nearly 15 years ago now, and have purchased machines as I needed them. I began working in a small cabinetry shop making kitchen and bathroom cabinets. This is where I first learned how to use lacquer, mix colours, and how to properly spray a high quality finish. I went out on my own after a while and catered more to the higher end of the furniture business. I would take any work I could get, but really enjoyed the finer pieces, focusing more on the function of proper joinery, and the higher end finishes like French polish. Eventually I was able to begin to focus my attention on even higher end furniture and in the end was building manly 18th century reproductions. Anyway, all of that seems a world away now, as I have not built a single piece of furniture in ages. Much of the machinery is the same though.
    Here are some pictures of my shop, and some of the machines I’ll be using to build this guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s a very small shop, designed around one person working here. I do on occasion have a helper come in to pack and ship orders, but for the most part, its just me.
    This is the band saw that dominates the shop. I needed a good resaw capacity, and found this one to be just perfect. The wheels have a 36” diameter.

[​IMG]

This is the main shop drill press. I don’t know how big it is really, but I'll bet it weighs more than 500 lbs. it's called a ‘camel back’ drill press. It runs on a wide belt, and is a lot of fun to use. :thumb:

[​IMG]

This is the jointer, and gets plenty of use preparing maple for guitar tops, and neck mahogany for necks.

[​IMG]

And this is the pin router. This gets more use in the shop than any other tool.

[​IMG]

My work bench is where I spend most of my time. I have everything within easy reach, and very little space is wasted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a bunch of lumber, mostly maple, but a few bits of mahogany, and some other wood mixed in.

[​IMG]

That’s all for today, but I'll be starting the build shortly, so I’ll update this thread as I move forward with the build.
    If anyone has questions or comments, please ask! That's what this thread is for. :thumb:

Note: Admin approved thread. -a

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Awesome! I love your shop, reminds me of my dad's....I'll be following this one. Subscribed!
    Go Tom :dude::dude::dude:

3. MRJ

MRJ Senior Member

I'm really glad to see you do a thread Tom!

4. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

My wife thought I was doin a hidden object game. Nice use of space.

5. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Beautiful workshop! It's a sort of comforting space to view, I think. I feel strangely relaxed after looking at the photos, which is exactly the right frame of mind for me to be in before heading off to my day job in a few minutes...:thumb:

6. JonMan94

JonMan94 Senior Member

man i want to be your apprentice XD

7. topo1983

topo1983 Senior Member

That is a beautiful shop LUTHIER:thumb:

8. Taller76

Taller76 Senior Member

:thumb: Looks like I bought my templates and plans just in time :applause:
    Awesome shop Tom looking forward to the build..now if I could just stop buying fuzz pedals long enough to get a top too.... :hmm:

9. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

man... that would be a dream personal space for me...

10. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

Subscribed.

11. Exluthier

Exluthier Senior Member

This is going to be good.

12. Daintree

Daintree Senior Member

Yeah, I really like your shop space too.
    Cheers.

13. bgillie

bgillie Senior Member

Thank you for sharing this build. Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

14. voices

voices Senior Member

+1:thumb:

15. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

I was lucky enough to visit the shop. It is so unassuming from the outside, but as soon as you walk in you are greeting by warmth, different shades of brown and the smell of sawdust. I absolutely loved it in there and actually felt a tinge of sadness when I was in the boardroom a couple days later, so sterile and cold compared to the shop. Seeing your guitar on the workbench was pretty freaking cool too. Look forward to the build.

16. tsk_2980

tsk_2980 Member

Thanks for sharing. Also, I noticed you have several LPs just hanging there (looks like they're collecting some dust)... if you need some help taking that off your hands, just let me know! :naughty:

17. pumpkinhead

pumpkinhead Junior Member

Thanks, Tom

David

18. Ken McKay

Ken McKay Senior Member

That is a great shop Tom and it looks like a sancturary. Your skill level is obvious! I will be watching.

19. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

Awsome thread, you live in Heaven my friend :thumb:

20. Nostalgia

Nostalgia Senior Member

Do You have a youtube account Tom? This build will be good.