MLB 2019 Season Thread

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Crotch, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Platinum Supporter Premium Member

The sports season that never ends. Harper and Machado still available. White Sox pushing hard I'm hearing on local radio.

My Brewers should have a stong bullpen again and a decent rotation with Nelson coming back.

Just made a move yesterday for Grandal. I'm unsure about it? Especially at $18M for 1 year. Just became the highest paid player on the team.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...waukee-brewers-agree-1-year-1825-million-deal

Come join me for a game this year. Open invite.
    [​IMG]

2. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

I'm hoping the YANKEES stay away from both Harper and Machado. I was also hoping that they'd dump Gary Sanchez and go after J.T. Realmuto.

3. Crotch

To me Harper is not worth the money. Machado is awesome, hes just a poor sport asshole. If you can deal with that (which I can) it would be a great sign.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  4. electric head

electric head Just passing thru Premium Member

The Nats will finally win it all..
    with or without Harper..

nationals_park_parking[1].jpg

Spartom likes this.
  5. Kashmir

Kashmir Gold Supporter

Looking forward to the Red Sox having another good season. But knowing me, I won't really start watching games until mid August anyway. The game is just too slow for me now, and there are way too many.

6. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

The Braves signed Josh Donaldson to play third for $23 mil for one year. I know little about him but hate that it takes Johan Carmargo off the every day line up card. Last year was one of the funnest seasons ever as a Braves fan, believe it or not. Lots of exciting and excited young position players--Acuna, Albies, Camargo, Inciarte. The pitching is finally beginning to show up from a loaded minor league system. They play an exciting brand of baseball with speed a big part rather than waiting on the five run HR. I don't care about hoops and now that my Clemson Tigers have won it all and the falcons are dead meat I anxiously await the saeason. By the way, Crotch, I went to a Brewers game once. It was a playoff that was the day before the Falcons played them in 08 I think. Ryan's first year and the first year Rodgers started. Stadium looks like something out of Blade Runner.

Crotch likes this.
  7. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

Looking forward to the Brewers too. I'm reminded of them every time I go out back to smoke at work, since I can see Miller Park from the deck.

8. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

Brewers did great, it's a steal to be able to get a guy of Grandal’s quality for one year and they got exactly what they needed. It’s so good of a deal for the team that there’s talk of it being a point of contention when the current CBA expires and that there will like be a work stoppage over this and other examples of team owners not ponying up for mid-upper level (but not elite) players. Grandal had a bad postseason but there’s no doubt this is a net plus for the Brewers. His bat alone makes it worth it.

9. Midnight Blues

I agree on both accounts. I could see the Yankees going for Harper particularly because of the right field porch, but IMHO, they don't need offense, they need starters.

10. Midnight Blues

That's a lot of $, but he's a really good player and one of the best 3rd basemen around IMHO.

11. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Yeah, I think he has been plagued by injuries in recent times. I'm always a little skeptical of older players trying to squeeze a little more juice out. Honestly, it seemed like an odd signing but I recall the early 90s Braves signing Terry Pendleton to anchor the infield and we wound up with a league MVP. He is apparently an Auburn alum but I guess it shows how much folks follow baseball around here.:laugh2:

12. Pal

Pal Senior Member

Yankees singed DJ Lemahieu today probably staying away from Machado, thank God.
    We should be there on 7/23. Here is the itinerary so far.
    7/14 HOU@TEX
    7/16 CWS@KCR
    7/17 PIT@STL
    7/19 OAK@MIN
    7/20 SDP@CHC
    7/21 KCR@CLE
    7/22 MIA@CWS
    7/23 CIN@MIL
    7/24 PHI@DET
    7/25 STL@PiT
    7/26 COL@CIN
    7/27 TB@TOR
    7/28 PIT@NYM
    7/30 ARI@NYY
    7/31 ATL@WAS
    8/01 SFG@PHI
    8/02 TOR@BAL

Back in 1993 my brother and I did a road trip where we saw every MLB team play in 17 days. Well we actually missed the Expos when we were rained out at Wrigley. We ended up seeing the Cubs at Shea on the last day of our trip. For quite a few years we've been planning to give it another shot and this year the schedule worked in our favor. We will miss four teams. We may try to rework it to see the Mariners, Angels and Dodgers but no interest in the Red Sox. If we wanted to see pitchers get calls six inches off plate and right fielders record fly outs without coming close to catching the ball we could go to a little league game where everyone gets a prize because they tried.

SoCal Flood, defcrew and Crotch like this.
  13. Crotch

Shoot me a message pal. I can be there in under 30 min.

Pal likes this.
  14. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Pretty cool, Pal. I had to go on the Fenway tour on an off day. Not many of the old stadiums left. I think I've been to Fenway, Comiskey, Milwaukee, whatever they call the Cards new stadium, The Giants stadium, the various Braves stadiums and a bunch of minor league ones. Wrigley is one I'd really like to see. I've actually yet to get up to the new Braves stadiums. It's only 15 miles north of Turner Field but 15 mins in ATL traffic can be an eternity!

Pal and mtgguitar like this.
  15. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

I'm just rooting for the Orioles to pull off a miracle and only be the second-worst team in baseball.

Pappy58, Matt_21 and Pal like this.
  16. mtgguitar

mtgguitar Senior Member

The Giants stadium has a new name this year (yawn.)

The braves complex is huge, if I ever go there I will probably stay at the complex and go back home without seeing Atlanta. The beltline/loop has 7 traffic lanes. Summers there are brutal.

(thepostgame.com) Bobby Cox, after being asked why he wore cleats as a manager: "Cox, who has the most ejections in managerial history with 158, explained part of the rationale behind his shoes to Sports Illustrated: "Could you imagine going out there in shiny dress shoes?" he said. "How would you kick dirt on the umpire?""

Pal likes this.
  17. Midnight Blues

:thumb:

Pal likes this.
  18. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Teams that should be looking at Machado are, besides being teams that have lots and lots of cash, teams that need a third baseman rather than a SS. He's an adequate SS but an all-universe Hot Corner man, and I don't care that he thinks he's a shortstop.

19. Pal

Pal Senior Member

One of the cool things about our 1993 trip (not really at the time but in retrospect) Tiger Stadium, Cleveland Municipal, Milwaukee County, Mile High, Veterans, Three Rivers, Candlestick, Jack Murphy, Busch, Yankee II and Shea are all gone. We also saw games at Dodger Stadium, Oakland, Camden Yards, Comiskey (not the original, just what they called the new field at the time).

Fun fact: 1993 was the first time I have tried to see a game at Wrigley. I have had tickets to see the Cubs on three additional occasions and every game has been rained out. Fifth time is the charm I hope.

I will do that. We are still waiting on a few teams to post game times and if what we hope are day games end up as 4PM or 7PM starts we may have to skip cities or go to a plan B. My wife and mother are pissed right now as I will turn 50 while we are on the road. We have a back up plan of mid August but need White Sox and Cubs not to play at same time on Sat Aug 24 to make it work.

20. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

I'm a Boston Red Sox fan, it's been a good 15 years. Been a fan since the early 70s. Baseball is good.

pinefd and BrianB like this.