MKH 7 String Modification Questions

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Destroythevoice, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Hey guys, I just managed to finally get a hold of my Gold Bridge and Tailpiece for my 7 string MKH Epi.. Looking to get gold tuning pegs as well.. Was thinking of getting Gotoh from Warmoth? Was hoping I can get some advice from people and hopefully some links as to where I can purchase certain parts since I'm having trouble again on the electronic aspect?
    Here's what I have so far

Seymour Duncan SH-1 59 Custom Pickup
    Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom Pickup - Swapping the EMGs out ENTIRELY because I can't stomach Active pickups... Which leads me to this.. I know to get 500K CTS Mini pots on all parts... (THEY HAVE TO BE MINI.. It's so small on the inside)

But how many capacitors do I need to buy? Just 2 right? I wanted to add the Orange Drop from stewmac on it but I forgot which ones I bought for my 6 string. Any advice or links on this as well please?

Thanks so much guys! Will post photos and a video of the end result when it's done!

2. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Also looking for a 7 string slotted tusq nut for a Les Paul!

3. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Yes, you need two capacitors. 22nF is what Gibson mostly uses, 47nF is what Seymour Duncan recommends, although I prefer the 22nF ones.

4. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

22nf and a 17 or 19nf from what i remember? I don't remember entirely what I put in my 6 string but i remember it was 2 different capacitors.

5. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Usually they are both the same value.
    Caps often have rather wide tolerance ranges, so even if it says 22nF on the case it might be a 19nF in reality.

6. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

If you want to replace the tuners then I highly recommend Gotoh. They're super nice and I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. They feel super smooth, are very tightly toleranced and look great. They're reasonably priced too.

Grovers are generally good too but I bought a set for my Gibson V a couple of years ago and they were extremely tight when first strung up and it has physically difficult to turn the pegs under tension with any degree of precision no matter how much I adjusted the tightness of the buttons. But after lots of breaking in, they work fine now. The Gotohs on the other hand were perfect right out of the box. Take that for what it's worth.

The only thing you really need to be mindful of is making sure the holes in the tabs of the new tuners line up with the existing holes.

You only need 2 capacitors for a Les Paul with 2 tone controls. I wouldn't bust your head up over capacitors either. The actual capacitor value itself is really all that matters. 0.022uf is the most common value for humbuckers but it's pretty typical if they're not that exact value. Manufacturing tolerances and all that. If you're a metal player, you're never going to be using the tone controls anyway so I don't see the point in worrying about it at all.

If you haven't already, replacing the selector switch with a Switchcraft one is a worthwhile upgrade. It's so much more durable and reliable than the Epiphone ones that are kinda junky and wear out fairly fast. $20 is expensive for a switch, but you get what you pay for.

For pickups, I super dig the Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set. They're very tight and have a ton of articulation and note separation, which is very important when downtuning. The Pegasus sounds somewhat like a JB, but without the infamous midrange spike that can make it sound super bright and unpleasant in some guitars, which is awesome. The Pegasus is not ultra hot like the EMG's or even the JB for that matter, which makes them very versatile and partly explains why the note separation and bloom on them is so good. The Sentient neck pickup is quite bright and has a level of output that's between a Jazz and a 59. Again, it's an articulate pickup for leads and with very glassy clean tones.

Think of it like a JB/Jazz/59 set with all of the benefits but none of the drawbacks. If that sounds highly attractive, that's because it is.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  7. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

So far my tech told me to get the 47s since theyre recommended for Duncans! Seymour duncan gave me an amazing deal on the 59 pickup and sh5 so I went with those. Super stoked.. Going Gotoh on those tuners! Ive always wanted Gotoh to begin with. I should be getting my 7 string gold bridge and tail piece sometime this week. Im super stoked. I cant wait to hear and see what this guitar is going to look and sound like.

8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

it depends on what Duncans he's talking about. If it's single coils he's talking about, then 47's are typical. But 22's for humbuckers is far more common and that's what I'd use for your Duncans.
    Provide pics when it's all done. :)

Destroythevoice and C_Becker like this.
  9. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Just ordered my 22s, my pots, my switchcraft input jack.. AAAAND All 7 of my Gotoh SG38 tuners. Super stoked. I'll start getting before photos ready this weekend and then have my after photos done when the work is taken care of in a couple of weeks.

C_Becker and T00DEEPBLUE like this.
  10. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Good news guys! I just literally received all of my parts.. All my electronics are finally here. I'm taking this monster to get modded this weekend!

Now before I post pics probably tonight of the BEFORE photos... Those of you not familiar with the original model.. Let me just say.. This is probably one of the best Les Pauls I have ever played in my life for the price.. I loved the 6 string model so much, I HAD to get the 7 string when I was shopping for a 7.. Minus the EMG pickups since they don't really satisfy my taste very much.. It's such a solid guitar. If you enjoy EMGs.. Then it's totally the guitar for you.

Only thing I hate about the hardware I recently purchased is that my gold tuning pegs seem quite a tad bit smaller than the stock ones I have on it now. They seem almost like Tele or Strat sized.. Don't think it's a big deal but they feel like really solid pegs and great quality, they don't stain very easily either. So I'm really excited.

11. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Member

Here are the before photos! Sorry for how smudgey it gets.. Really hard to keep up with at times. Lol. Annnnd I didn't have my tools with me to clean it off properly...

Attached Files: