MJTele Custom Aged Finishes

Discussion in 'Fender' started by diceman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

I would say Allparts C shape is more like a modern C shape. Not too thin and not too thick. Personally I love it.

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Senior Member

I've got to get around to ordering a neck for my Esquire dammit! I'm going to go for the allparts TMO-C (10" radius and modern frets), I can't get used to the vintage radius and frets on my strat!

3. toppsseller

toppsseller Senior Member

For anyone who has ordered a set of aged hardware from MJT I was wondering did it include a set of saddles. I looked at the MJT Ebay ads for a Strat and it comes with a "Tremolo Bridge Set (includes block, claw, springs, & whammy bar)" but it doesn't say saddles.

4. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Yes they do come with saddles, but they are blank and won't have Fender stamped in them. I still have mine sitting around as I used a set of brass saddles from a 70's strat instead.

5. toppsseller

I just got my Strat kit in the mail from MJT. I’m going to be dropping it off today for assembly. I will certainly post post pics when it’s done. I don’t know much about building guitars, but I’m really impressed with the neck/body fit of this guitar. It’s very tight on the sides and the screw holes for the neck plate seem to line up well. There is a about a 2mm gap at the butt of the neck where it would meet the body, but the pickguard will cover that up. All the stuff looks really nicely aged and I just hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I know these bodies are supposed to be reliced, but the finish is really nice work. I looked at it under different lights to see if there was any dust in the finish and they manage to keep that to a minimum. They even aged the trem claw which was a nice attention to detail.

I got some Fat 50’s pickups to put in it. I would have gone for custom shop ‘69’s but I already have those in a guitar.

The allparts neck is the only thing I’m questioning. I got the C shape neck with tall frets and there looks to a small gap where the fret and wood were pressed together. I know I have some guitars that have filler in those spaces, but my Fender necks don’t have that. Any thoughts?

6. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Got any pics of this gap? I doubt it's a lot as Matt and Mark wouldn't have sold you the neck if Allpart messed up. I'm surprised you won't put it together yourself as that's part of the fun. :). For me, I put the neck onto the body, wired up the pickups and etc. The only thing I didn't do is the neck as I am terrible at doing a neck setup lol. I leave that to my local luthier who just strings her up and sets the neck. Trust me, you'll love your MJT strat in no time. Send pics when it's done!

7. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

8. toppsseller

9. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

10. toppsseller

I posted this in a NGD thread, but I thought I add the pics here in case anyone stumbles on this thread and wants to see what type of work MJT does. I've had it for about a week and I'm really loving it. Great sustain for a Strat and just so smooth playing.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

Looks great topseller!

12. kiley2418

kiley2418 Member

well had to join the mjt strat club!!!!..

alder body (mjt nitro sunburst finish)
    allparts neck (rosewood mjt finish)
    mjt hardware
    sliders 59's (prewired pickguard)

here is a few pics i just got!!!... no clear yet but looking good so far..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. guitar_slinger8

guitar_slinger8 Senior Member

welcome to the club, very tasty aging!

14. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

I am so jealous of you. Always wanted to get a set of slider 59 pickups, but could never get the funds for them. :( Love that body....would have killed for that too when I started to get into strats.

15. kiley2418

kiley2418 Member

thanks!! im very excited...... i wanted a nice relic that wasnt over the top.... i sent matt at mjt like 5 pics of various cs relics so he had an idea of what i was lookin for... and on the first try he got it!!.. im very happy with there work so far!!!!!

yea ive had a few strats but nothin special.... the sliders are amazing!!! i have a buddy who has a set and i couldnt resist!!!

16. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

Congrats Kiley, it looks awesome and you will love those pickups. I have his classic '57's with NOS 50's wire and I love them.

I got my neck in yesterday from them, and it's fantastic.I can't even begin to describe how smooth is on the back, and it's very lightweight.

17. kiley2418

kiley2418 Member

awesome hopefully mine will be shipping out by end of next wk.... and i just oredered the sliders yesterday so just a few more wks...... i cant wait!!!!...lol

18. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

are there any wear level options for the hardware?

19. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

They have three level of wear you can pick from:

Closet clean - gives it that age look but no wearing as if the guitar was placed in a closet for 20 years.

Broken in - Gives the body some dings and scratches like it's been kicked around a few gigs. The neck will be worn on the neck, but not all the way through the nitro coating.

Heavy Worn - Like the title says it's the highest wear with the neck being sanded down to the wood to give the best smoothest feeling, and the body scratched and banged up like it took a tumble off stage while you jumped into the crowd :p. In terms of apperance think SRV's number one

These are all but templates, Mark and Matt can do anything that you want. Even cigrette burns.

20. toppsseller

Very nice sunburst. I think one of the things I found about MJT is they actually pay attention to what you ask for.

and +1 on the neck smoothness. It's unbelievable.