MJTele Custom Aged Finishes

Discussion in 'Fender' started by diceman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. toppsseller

toppsseller Senior Member

I did a bad thing. As I mentioned I won a butterscotch body. Then my wife got jerky with me because she thought she was going to pick out the style and color. So what did I do? I ordered a Strat of course. I still have to pick a color and how much again I want. I'm thinking of asking Matt to do something in between "closet clean" and "light". I don't want it to look totally beaten, but would like to have the aging process started for me. Then I can take it from there. My wife of course wants me to do Shell pink, but I'm thinking something like Sonic Blue or a classic fender pastel. I do like the red's as well. There's almost too many options.

As other have said Matt has been great to work with so far. I told him my dilemma and he offered to cut me a break on a Strat kit. It's amazing how nice people actually make you want to work with them. Here's some pics of the Tele body. I may sell it or may just put it aside and do something with it down the road. Maybe an Esquire build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Senior Member

Go for an Esquire build! :thumb:

3. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

I would hold onto it. I can't stress it enough how big of a steal you got. I have seen those butterscotch tele bodies go for $350-$375 easily. And yours is that darker tint rather then the light almost blonde color tele.

I'm sure Matt will do it the way you want it. For my build I had purchased a body he had already made, and got a custom neck. All I told him was to make that neck look like it was on the body when it came from the factory. And let me tell you. He did it, and more.

I keep thinking about doing a telemaster someday....hmmmm :p

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Matt is awesome.

My Strat is a heavily checked but lightly worn beauty - that is my favorite level of wear I think, on a relic.

5. toppsseller

I just spec'd out my strat build with Matt. I played it kind of safe and actually found a pic on MLP of pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/106902-fs-stratocaster-finished-mark-jenny.html

I picked a pretty standard C shape neck and chose a light relic with slightly more wear on the neck. My idea is for the body to look well cared for, but for the neck to look well played.

Matt has been really amazing and very willing to listen. I hope the results are as good as everyone else's and I can't wait.

I think I will keep the body that I also have for the Tele and maybe build something down the road.

6. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Ah that one. Before I got mine built I was inquiring to buy it, but decided to order my own. I believe he's still parting that out.

7. toppsseller

Thanks to Diceman and Drake for the helpful info.

8. Laservampire

Got my Don Mare Hayride bridge pickup yesterday!

Now I've just gotta talk to Matt about getting a neck for my body :laugh2:

9. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Charlotte is home! After spending 4 days at my luthier's shop for a setup (back logged badly) she's home, and wow what a sound on her. Most of the time I tune to E flat on my strats, but in standard tunning she has a real clear, and up beat tone.

And btw thank you Dice for selling me the neck. This neck is so nice to play I don't think I'll ever sell it :p If I do though you'll be the first on my list. Well everyone here is my second MJtele strat, enjoy. :D

[​IMG]

10. Frails

Frails Senior Member

Sweet!

11. toppsseller

Very nice Drake! Is it Olympic white. Great color choice and I'm excited to hear that it plays so nicely.

12. Laservampire

That thing looks really freakin' cool Drake! :thumb:

I just ordered up a whole pile of hardware for my Esquire build, damn cheap from a guy on the Tele forum that has a great allparts discount.

I decided to go for nickel plated knobs and control plate, mainly cos I hate chrome :laugh2:

13. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Great to hear Laser, look forward to seeing that esquire when your done, and I'm not a big fan of chrome either :D

14. toppsseller

I know this isn't the place but due to some unforseen events I'm going to be selling the Butterscotch Tele body I just won from MJT on Ebay. If I could get $190 shipped I would be happy. If anyone is interested please PM me.

PM me for the Ebay item number.

15. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Just put it up on the classifieds and I am sure you'll find a buyer at that price.

16. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

does mjtele do fret work on the neck before they send it to you?

17. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

No, what they do is give you a link to the allparts.com and you pick one of their necks. They order it and age it to your liking.

18. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

They just got my brazilian neck in for my partscaster. Can't wait to see their finishing on it.

I never did care for the All Parts necks, so I had someone else build a neck and let them do what they do best and that's finishing.

19. toppsseller

My sonic blue strat is on it's way. I ordered some Fat 50's pickups. I can't wait to hear it. Does anyone have any feelings about the Allparts C shape neck? Is it modern C or more of a 60's C shape.

I also just bought a Hot Rod '62 Strat which has a humongous neck. I may return it depending on how awesome the MJT is. There turnaround time was about 5 weeks. I've said it before, but their customer service just makes you want to buy more stuff.